In addition to providing study guide answers in class, I informed all classes study guide answers would be available on the blog. Let me know if you have additional questions. Our end of the nine week’s exam is Tuesday March 7th, 2017.
3rd Nine Weeks Study Guide-Answers
- What are fossils?
||the preserved remains or traces of organisms that lived in the past
- What evidence suggests that the ancestors of whales once walked on land?
||Scientists have found fossils of whale like creatures that had legs.
- Why do scientists think related species have similar body structures and development patterns?
||The species inherited many of the same genes from a common ancestor.
- When sex cells combine to produce offspring, each sex cell will contribute
||half the number of chromosomes in body cells.
- What determines the genetic code?
||the order of nitrogen bases along a gene
- What do transfer RNA molecules do during protein synthesis?
||carry amino acids and add them to the growing protein
- What is a mutation?
||any change in a gene or chromosome
- Where does protein synthesis take place?
||on the ribosomes in the cytoplasm of the cell
- What produces egg and sperm cells during the life cycle of a plant?
- Root hairs help a plant
||absorb water and nutrients.
- Why do hormones cause changes only in specific body organs?
||A hormone interacts only with target cells, which fit together with that hormone.
- Where does a fertilized egg develop after it leaves the fallopian tube?
- A mature egg is released from the ovary during a process called
- In a female’s body, an egg develops in an ovary, and the uterus prepares for the arrival of a fertilized egg during
- Which of the following describes the first nine months of human development in the correct order?
- Nutrients from the mother pass to the developing embryo through a membrane called the
- What happens during the stage of childbirth called labor?
||Strong muscle contractions of the uterus cause the cervix to enlarge.
- What happens during the stage of childbirth called delivery?
||A baby comes out of the mother’s body.
- The endocrine system acts on the body through chemical products called
- Which endocrine gland(s) link(s) the endocrine system and the nervous system?
- Which endocrine gland(s) communicate(s) with the hypothalamus to control many body activities, including growth from infancy to adulthood?
- When a human egg is not fertilized, extra blood and tissue from the uterus are released through the vagina in a process called
- F, half
- F, Messenger
- F, Fraternal
- amino acid
- E is a ribosome. It is the site where proteins are made.
- The bases that pair with A-G-U are U-C-A.
- A different amino acid might be produced, which might affect the structure and function of the protein.
- Structure C is a stigma, Structure D is a style, and Structure E is an ovary. They are female reproductive structures.
- Pollen grains attach to Structure C, the stigma. The stickiness of the stigma holds the pollen grains.
- The thyroid gland stops producing the hormone thyroxine.
I just would like to provide notice of our next gold test that is scheduled for Wednesday February 1st, 2017. Students may refer to the list of topics and activities below to prepare for the test.
- 7.15 Content Connections Video and questions titled “Fossil Evidence” in the online textbook (StemScopes). All students were issued access to the book in November.
- 7.15 StemScopedia
- Rat/Elephant Ancestor? Activity
- Dog/Horse Skeleton Sort Activity
- 7.16 StemScopedia
- Cladograms Group Activity
- All bellringers beginning on January 17th, 2017
Happy Studying; find answers below and in Google Classroom 🙂
Welcome back and I hope everyone enjoyed themselves over the Thanksgiving Break. I just would like to remind you all about our upcoming gold tests. Our next Gold Test is Tuesday December 6th and will cover the following topics: Cell Theory ( be able to describe and explain all three parts, Prokaryotic and Eukaryotic Cells, Cell structures and functions and the Microscope. Please use information recorded in the notebook AND the new book as resources when studying. Our new online book has great information and resources such has picture vocabulary cards and informational texts about the topics listed above.
Our 2nd Nine Weeks Exam is also scheduled for Tuesday December 13th, 2016 and will accompany a study guide. Study Guides will go home next Thursday or Friday.
Hopefully you guys are working on completing your lab reports (gold grade) that are due by tonight at 11:59 pm. All classes did an amazing job with the lab and I believe they thoroughly enjoyed it ( minus the smell).
Our next gold test is this Thursday and will cover the following topics:
Heart Structures and Functions
Blood Flow through the heart
Functions/ Purpose of the Circulatory System ( heart, capillaries, veins, blood, etc)
Red Blood Cells ( including notes on blood types, antigens, antibodies, what blood types can receive blood from one another and why)
White blood cells types and functions
Hello to All,
As you can see, we thoroughly enjoyed Kahoot today in preparation for Monday’s quiz. Students should be able to label all structures, explain the steps of blood flow through the heart, and color code structures and high in oxygen content or low in oxygen content.
Have a Great Weekend,
Hello Parents and Students,
I know you all are probably busy and preparing to close out the first grading period. Please access the following document to review answers for the exam study guide. Also, due my absence on today, I have extended the lab report due date until this Friday.
Thanks and Have a Great Week,
Hello Parents and Students,
The end of the first grading period is approaching quickly and I would like to provide you all with some important information. Our next quiz is this Thursday September 29th , 2016 and will cover the following topics: the three types of bones, axial and appendicular skeleton, function of bones, and types of joints.
1st Nine Weeks Exam Study Guide- Will go home Thursday September 29th, 2016.
Bone and Muscle Dissection Lab- Friday September 30th, 2016; please dress appropriately. You are welcome to bring your own goggles however: I have plenty for students to use.
Dissection Lab Report (Gold Grade)- Will be very brief and completed in class on Monday and Tuesday of next week. Due date is Tuesday October 4th, 2016
1st Nine Weeks Exam (Gold Grade)- Thursday October 6th, 2016; will be very similar to study guide!
Hi Parents and Students,
Our next gold test is Tuesday September 20th, 2016. This test will cover the respiratory and excretory systems. Please see the list below for detailed topics.
Respiratory System Functions
Taking in Oxygen
Removing Carbon dioxide and Water
Systems Working together
Pathway of Air- Nose, pharynyx, trachea, bronchioles, alveoli
Process of breathing
List and describe chemicals associated with tobacco smoke
List and describe diseases associated with tobacco smoke
Be able to label respiratory system diagram
Describe function of the excretory system\
List and describe structures/functions of the excretory system
Label structures of the excretory system
Stages of filtration by the nephrons in the kidney
How the kidneys, lungs, and skin help maintain homeostasis ( refer to web quest notes).
Don’t hesitate if you have questions or concerns 🙂