Monday, August 29th
- Pass back graded work. Organize binders.
- Review annotations from this weekend’s reading.
- building of suspense (53-55), why Cherry might love Dally (59), why Dally sounds like Darry (60), the church (61), gold/country (63), why greasers don’t fit in (63)
- Homework= Turn in book order money by September 8th. Chapters 4-6 quiz is this Wednesday.
Tuesday, August 30th
- Introduce Gone with the Wind and the word “gallant”
- Gone with the Wind= a classic novel published in the 1930’s about the South during the Civil War in the 1860’s. It glorified the Southern plantation life and presented the Southern gentleman and Confederates as gallant fighters standing up for the rights of their country.
- gallant= (adj) bold, brave, self-sacrificing
- Watch clip: http://cleanvideosearch.com/media/action/yt/watch?videoId=PnEZrV_WT44
- Journal in Writer’s Notebook: Write thoroughly what YOU think about Dally being gallant. Explain your reasoning. Think about what you watched about Gone with the Wind, Dally’s behavior, Johnny’s hero-worship of Dally, and your experience/judgement about all that.
- Study poem, “Nothing Gold Can Stay”: It’s one big metaphor, just like “The Road Not Taken.” In nature, seasons change. In life, people/things/circumstances, change. In what moments of your life have you experienced big changes?
- Begin reading chapter 6.
- Homework: Finish chapter 6. Chapters 4-6 quiz is tomorrow.
Wednesday, August 31st
- Discuss chapter 6, including the symbolism of fire (renewal, change) and Darry’s reaction to seeing Ponyboy in the hospital.
- Journal in Writer’s Notebook: How might the fire change, shape, or mold the characters Ponyboy, Dally, or Johnny? (You may choose one character to write about.) Think beyond their physical injuries…
- Take quiz on chapters 4-6.
- Read chapter 7, annotating the news about Johnny’s condition, the possibility of foster care, and Randy the Soc.
- Homework: Finish reading chapter 7 and annotating.
Thursday, September 1st
- Complete passage analysis (2016 Thematic Ideas TO Ch 6-7 ).
- Read chapter 8, annotating Johnny’s mother, Darry=Soc?, and Cherry/Bob.
- Homework: Finish reading and annotating chapter 8.
Friday, September 2nd
- Journal in Writer’s Notebook: Look at your Outsiders anticipation guide #s 5 and 15. Now think about Darry and his social class. Why is he a greaser? Explain.
- Journal in Writer’s Notebook: Explain why you agree/disagree with this statement: The rumble will solve the problems between the Socs and greasers.
- Read chapter 9, annotating why each one fights, Darry vs. his past, and someone’s last words.
- Annotate chapters 9 and 10. For chapter 10, annotate who Dally loved and the use of the word gallant.
- Ch. 7-10 quiz on TUESDAY.
- Book orders are due next week!