November 6-17th, 2017
1. Project American Life will be November 6-10, and 13-17th. Due to this field trip, students will not have any projects, test, or homework until after Thanksgiving. For students not going on the field trip, they will be doing enrichment and review activities during ELA time.
2. Wednesday 11/8 and 11/15 will be library days for students to return their free choice books and check out biography or autobiography books. The book report for this book will be December 6th.
* Remember to sign your student’s agenda book on Monday night.
Unit 1 Love That Dog vocabulary
1. Agony- noun, extreme and generally prolonged pain; intense physical or mental suffering
2.Apprehensive-adjective, uneasy or fearful of something that might happen
3.Beneficial-adjective, advantageous or helpful
4.Blunder-noun, a careless mistake
5.Concise-adjective, expressing or covering much in few words; brief in form but comprehensive in
6.Dialogue-noun, conversation between two or more people
7.Effect- noun, something that is produced; a result or consequence
8.Esteem-noun, favorable opinion or judgement; respect or regard
9.Evolve- verb, to develop gradually
10.Genre-noun, a class or category of art having a particular form, content, technique, etc.
1. endeavor- a conscientious effort toward an end; an earnest attempt; try; effort
2. flank- to protect or guard the sides of
3. egress- a path or opening for going out; an exit; outlet
4. refugees- one who flees in search of refuge, as in times of war, political oppression, or religious persecution;person in exile
5. plummet- to fall straight down; plunge; noise-dive; crash down; tumble
6. vague- indistinctly felt, perceived, understood, or recalled; hazy; unclear; fuzzy
7. convoluted- having numerous overlapping coils or folds; complex; elaborate; intricate
8. catastrophe- an unexpected, disastrous event that causes great suffering
9. hoist- to raise or haul up with or as if with the help of a mechanical apparatus; heave; lift
10. strewn- to spread here and there; scatter
11. vicious- spiteful; malicious; nasty; cruel; mean
12. methodically- characterized by ordered and systematic habits or behavior; logically; carefully; precisely; meticulously
13. lurk- to move furtively; sneak; lie in wait; hang about; creep around
14. kiosk- a small structure, often open on one or more sides, used as a newsstand or booth. A cylindrical structure on which advertisements are posted.
Literary Terms #1
1. Character- the people or animals in a story.
2. Point of view- the vantage point from which a story is told.
3. Conflict- a struggle or clash between opposing characters or forces.
4. Setting- the time and place in which a story takes place
5. Internal Conflict- a struggle between opposing desires or emotions inside a person
6. Theme- the story’s statement about life or the human condition
7. External Conflict- a struggle between a character and some outside force.
8. Plot- the action and problems that occur in a story.
Welcome to Chelsea Middle School. I am looking forward to learning and growing together in the sixth grade. Our class will consist of grammar, literature, reading, and writing activities. I want to help every student be successful in ELA this year. Please note the weekly assignment page each week and this will help you stay up to date on all assignments and due dates. It is a great day to be a Hornet!