We, OMMS teachers, staff, and parent groups, are leading a new technology initiative called “Chromebooks for Classrooms.”
I need your help! Our team is raising money for a set of Chromebooks for our math classes. How exciting! This way, I won’t have to reserve them from the library, but we can use them anytime we need them…Which will actually be close to a daily basis some weeks. Plus, Mr. Bouldin, Mrs. Wortham, and our ELA teachers will be able to use them as well. We will have the Chromebooks in our classroom at our disposal. I can’t wait for all of the cool things we will do in class, including graphing, submitting work through Google Classroom, review games such a Kahoot and Quizizz, research, and so much more. As a teacher, I’m excited about this because Chromebooks give me instant feedback of where my students are…”Are my kids understanding the material or not? How am I going to help them?” Then, I can personalize instruction for struggling learners and give opportunities to enrich those students who have mastered the material.
Please help us reach this goal. Each of your core subject teachers is raising money for 8 Chromebooks that we will put together in one cart for the math classes.
Each core subject teacher will be launching a DonorsChoose.Org page to raise money to purchase 8 Chromebooks to go towards a team cart to use in our classrooms.
DonorsChoose.Org Links: To be announced very soon…
Here’s where you come in:
Share my Donors Choose Project Page with your family and friends. You can physically share it with them, or repost using Facebook or other social media, or email it to them.
PLEASE SHARE: Ms. Ferguson’s Donors Choose Chromebook Page
Click here for Ms. Ferguson’s DonorsChoose page. (Fund fully1st)
Click here for Mr. Bouldin’s DonorsChoose page. (Fund 2nd once Ms. Ferguson’s is finished)
Click here for Mr. Wortham’s DonorsChoose page. (Fund 3rd once Mr. Bouldin’s is finished)
Click here for Mrs. Bolt’s DonorsChoose page. (Fund after math, science, and social studies)
Click here for Mrs. Cline’s DonorsChoose page.
Click here for Mrs. Gingras’ DonorsChoose page.
Be sure to share the PROMO Code with them: LIFTOFF. If they put in this promo code, Donors Choose will match any donation up to $50 for the first 7 days. THIS IS HUGE for us to meet our goal! Also, be sure to tell them to uncheck the box that will give 15% to the website. We want and need ALL of our donations. 🙂
Incentives for my classes:
Every time you have someone donate in your name, you will get a math class coupon. Some of the coupons are the following:
- Bring Your Own Snack to Class Coupon
- Homework Pass Coupons (on Bronze level assignments; must complete work, but can earn up to 5 bonus points)
- Extra Time Coupons (Where you can request extra time to finish an assignment)
- Music Day Coupons (Where you can bring your earbuds to class and listen to music as you independently work)
- Test Retake Coupon (You can retake a test or quiz in this or future nine weeks)
- Seat Switch Coupon
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PARTICIPATING!!!
Encompassed is the letter that has been sent home with the report cards on Friday, October 13th, 2016 providing more information regarding this initiative.
Students and Parents:
We have several events coming up in October and November that I wanted to make sure you had a list of these dates.
- Thursday, October 13th: Parenting Day
- Monday, October 17th: Washington, D.C. Parent Meeting (6:00 p.m. OMMS Cafeteria)
- Tuesday, October 18th: Character Assembly
- Tuesday, October 25th: Conquest Assembly
- Friday, October 28th: Fall Gala
Ways to help others (each of these events will have a separate blog post to provide more detailed information):
- “Can You Can” Phase I Can Food Drive: October 14th – 21st
- Chromebooks for Classrooms Drive (using DonorsChoose.Org to obtain a Chromebook cart for each team): October 18th – 28th
- FUND DAY: October 21st
- Toys For Tots: November 7th – 18th
Can You Can? Phase I Can! Food Drive is Oct. 14-21 (Starts this Friday!)
Please help in joining OMMS support Oak Mountain Missions and Manna Ministries by donating canned food and boxed non-perishable items. The items that we collect go to families in need in our area. We hope that you will help your students realize the impact that they can have by donating items for the purpose of helping someone who is less fortunate.
As we collect items in our advisory classes, we keep a tally count in order to have friendly competition in order to help increase the participation throughout the school. The advisory per grade level that collects the most cans wins a pizza party. However, keep in mind the purpose of this Canned Food Drive is the spirit of giving and service to the community. Yes, it is fun to be competitive; however, we want each homeroom to encourage integrity in their giving and donations.
In order to help facilitate ease of storage at OMM and Manna Ministries, please do not separate items from their original packaging. Please also remember that collected items must have a valid expiration date.
- Monday, October 3, 2016
- Social Studies Test
- Tuesday, October 4, 2016
- Math Test (Day 1, complete on Wednesday)
- Wednesday, October 5, 2016
- English Language Arts Test
- Thursday, October 6, 2016
- Science Test
- Electives Test
- Friday, October 7, 2016
- Make-up tests
- All grades due
- Monday, October 10, 2016
- No School – Teacher Workday
- Friday, October 14, 2016
- Report Cards sent home
Get ready for Spirit week, September 26-30, as we celebrate our Eagles football and volleyball teams and homecoming on September 29. Students will be allowed to “dress up” within dress code limits as follows:
Get ready for fun as we prepare to overpower the Liberty Park Lancers with our Eagle spirit!
Be getting your spirit wear organized as follows:
- Monday, September 26th: Doctor Day – Once our Eagles swoop down on the Lancers, they’ll need medical help!
- Tuesday, September 27th: Super Hero – Overpower the Lancers with your Super Hero super skills!
- Wednesday, September 28th: Board Game – Dress as your favorite board game piece as we outsmart the Lancers!
- Thursday, September 29th: Color Wars – which team has the most spirit?? – 6th will wear red; 7th wear blue; 8th should wear white
- Friday, September 30th: Flashback Friday – Throwback to a fun Eagle spirit moment!
ALL ATTIRE MUST ADHERE TO DRESS CODE ON ALL DAYS. IF WEARING A HAT, BE PREPARED TO REMOVE IT DURING CLASS.
The OMMS 7th and 8th Grade Open House will be on Monday, August 22nd! Below you will find the documents that I will review with you in person. While this is a good substitute if you cannot make it to school this evening, it will not replace putting a face and voice with the parent/guardian of my students. I look forward to meeting you!
Power Point Presentation: 2016-17 Open House Power Point Ferguson 7R
I am excited to teach your children this year!
Please make note of the following OMMS Events:
- Friday, August 12th: Back to School Gala 1 – 3 p.m. (See school news for details)
- Saturday, August 13th: Oak Mountain Sports Festival/Fish Fry (Heardmont) 3 – 10 p.m.
- Monday, August 22nd: 7th/8th Grade Open House 6 – 8 p.m.
- Tuesday, August 30th: 6th Grade Open House 6 – 8 p.m.
Homework, Bell Ringers, Notes, and Handouts will all be posted daily for your class on the individual class page. If you have trouble finding the information you need, just send a post or an e-mail, and I will be glad to help you out!
Welcome back to school for the 2016-2017 school year! I look forward to meeting each and everyone of my students and your parents! Have an AWESOME first week of school and a GREAT 7th grade year. 🙂