spring break catch up

“dick allen” – just in time for baseball, a book about a 1970s player – even better, a white sox guy – good book to read and talk about with my dad

“my cubs” – just in time for baseball:) a great and highly recommendable book about the Cubs – and what made last year so special

“shakespeare for freedom” – just in time for… i dunno – anyway, way over my head – but i picked up a couple of things about the concepts that i can adapt to middle school – i can’t emphasize how little i think i know about shakespeare after reading this book:)

“norse mythology” – highly recommendable book – currently a fiction bestseller – by neil gaiman – retelling old norse legends – loki was a troubled one…

“to sparta” – great book about the marathon – and the runner who delivered the message – and the problems of greece today

j

5 thoughts on “spring break catch up”

1. Review of A Year In the Life of a Complete and Total Genius
    by Bobby Fryer

The story I read was A Year in the Life of a Complete and Total Genius By: Stacey Matson. The story is about a kid named Arthur Bean who wants to be a famous author. To prove he has what it takes to be a famous author he enters a short story contest the winner of the short story contest will get a prize and will be published in a famous magazine. But Arthur has some problems he lives with his Dad because his mom has died and Arthur doesn’t have a lot of friends. In the next paragraphs, I will explain why I like this book very much.
    This story is written to look like Arthur’s reading journal and I like the diary format. One reason the diary format is better is because it makes it easier to read. The diary format includes some journal entries, emails, and computer messages. This format helps the story move along quicker.
    Another reason I like this book is that the plot is very interesting. What Arthur wants to do when he grows up is to be a famous writer. Another thing that adds to the plot is that he doesn’t have a lot of friends and has a lot of different choices that lead to many more good or bad choices he doesn’t have a lot of friends because he doesn’t allow other people to share their opinions in class. An example of one of Arthur’s choices is when he has to choose between being Romeo in the school play (with Kennedy as Juliet) or entering the short story competition. These choices made the plot a lot more interesting.
    Arthur lives with his dad because his mom passed away but before she passed he made her a promise to become a famous writer. That is the reason why this contest is so important to him. Arthur makes a lot of enemies and friends in the story. Robbie, whom Arthur is assigned to tutor, starts out as Arthur’s enemy but turns into his friend. Kennedy is a girl in Arthur’s class. Arthur and Robbie both have a crush on her. She is Arthur’s pen pal and swaps emails with him every night.
    In conclusion if you like funny diary format I recommend this book to you and this book has a very interesting plot and I think this is a good book for all people.

2. Review of Masterminds by Dawson Miskelly

The book I read was Masterminds By: Gordon Korman. (Warning Spoilers) The book Masterminds is about a small town with a small population. It is a town where lying never happens and words like murder don’t exist. It is a town where world news never reaches. If the President got assassinated, no one in the town Serenity would know. Some kids in the town start to get suspicious. They break into the factory, where everyone basically works, to figure out they are clones of the worst people ever to live. It is called Project Osiris. It was illegal and was shut down by the government years ago. Then the leaders made a town just for the project and continued it illegally. The kids escaped the town for their own good.
    Now I will tell why I love this book so much and will suggest it for teenagers and above. During the book it swaps point of view every chapter. This makes it different in a good way, than other books you would normally read. You get to see how all characters feel about certain things. Not just one. I think it is a good way to make the book stand out. Another reason I like it so much is that it has a very interesting plot. The kids in the story are forced to pick between leaving their home and so called “Parents”. This makes some of the toughest characters soft side come out. So you see all the sides of the characters.
    This story is what I call a mix between mystery and action. It has a lot of action moments such as when the kids broke into the factory. They were trying to figure out the mystery of what as in the factory. This made the story entertaining.
    I highly suggest this book. It was so good I ordered the second in the series online. It was just that good. So make sure if you see this book, read it!

3. The book I read was The Wright 3 By: Blue Balliet. The Wright 3 is about the kids named Calder,Petra,Tommy. The are trying to save the wrights house from being destroyed. The kids all have different clues to this book. Petra thinks that the house can hear her and feels what she feels.
    The sixth grade all got all paintings. The kids all when in front of the house and do a speech about how the house is are work and the very popular. And then the kids all cut there paintings and said what happened to the painting all we did was cut them . Then the kids said if you help you will be saving a murder.
    The hole crowd cheered. And know the house will hopefully be saved. But if you read this book you will find out what happened to the house. Did it get saved or not ?
    I really enjoyed this book a lot and i hope that one of you guys will hopefully read this book . I loved it so much I read it two times! It is a mix of mystery and action in this book . So make sure that you read this book.

4. Book Review on Exodus by:Julie Bertagna

By: Jackson Morris

The book Exodus has gotten great feedback among its readers. It was also nominated for the Carnegie Medal, and was short-listed for the Whitbread Children’s Book of the Year Award. It also was written by a great author by the name of Julie Bertagna.

The book is set in 2100, where Earth’s ice caps are melting. Because of this, the land is getting smaller the more the caps melt. Few islands remain in tact. One of the islands named Wing holds a small group of people, including the main character and their family.

The story follows a girl named Mara is living on the previously mentioned island of Wing. She lives there with her parents and her younger brother. As the island of Wing gets smaller, talk of a city towering high above the water arose. This leads the Islanders to travel by boat to one of these cities. Though they face problems in doing so.

This book has a great story-line that ages of 10-20 will enjoy. This story has all you’d ever want in a story. Complex characters, complex story-line, action, sadness, and last but not least, great plot twists. I recommend this book to anyone, even if they aren’t in the age range that I mentioned earlier.

And with that I say, Bravo Julie Bertagna. This was a great book. I have heard that there are 2 sequels that i’ll have to check out. Finally, I leave you to go out and find this book, read it, then read more like it. Good Luck.

5. The book I did was called Goddess Games By:Niki Burnham
    (no spoilers)
    This book is about three girls called Seneca, Drew, and Claire. Seneca is always used to getting what she wants she. She is used to getting everything she wants because her dad has won an award winning oscar.This time she will have to learn how to share and not be selfish. Drew is a very athletic character she is an athletic brat. Drew is also running away from all the bad things in her past. Claire is seeks help because a mistake she can not erase and a big secret she has to protect. Also she is a big Christian
    These girls ended up as roommates at a luxurious mountain spa. Each girl has ended up there with a summer job. At first Seneca,Claire,and Drew can only see their differences. But the girls have to learn how to learn how to get along if they are going to spend the whole summer together. Each girl has a background story that prevents them from getting along.
    The girls also have a mean boss who is named Marla. Marla thinks she is in control of everything and tries to make the girls life misserable.
    This book is a good young adult book. Also the book was fun to read but too me it got boring in some parts. Hope you would enjoy this book!