“Dewey” Know How to Shelve Our Books???

This year, I’m trying something new!  I have taught kids how to use the Dewey Decimal system in the library for years.  For years, I’ve had kids that still need help finding a book in the library.  Of course I don’t mind helping but I want the kids to be able to find a book on their own.  Independence is the key!  So, this year, I’m trying something new.

I used one of the first few library lessons to teach about the Dewey Decimal System and how to find a book in the library.  We practiced looking up books using our automation system and finding those books on the shelves.  And now, drumroll please…I am asking the kids to shelve their own books when they return them to the library.  And you know what, I’ve never had a group do a better job with remembering how to use the Dewey Decimal system.  Right now, the kids are in training.  They go to where they think their book belongs and I check to see if they are right. I’m amazed at how good the kids are getting at finding the right spot using their knowledge of the Dewey system!  And you know what?  If our kiddos can use this system in our library then they are going to be able to go on to much bigger libraries and do the exact same thing.  Like I said before, independence is key and our kids are on their way to being independent in the library!