Exploring the AVL

For the next few weeks, my buddies on the S.T.A.R. hall and I are going to be exploring the FREE databases available for use through the Alabama Virtual Library (AVL).  The AVL is an online collection of databases available for all citizens in the state of Alabama.  Children across the state access these databases for personal interests as well as for assistance with school projects.  Students have access to these databases both at school and at home so here’s the link for anyone who wants home access: http://www.avl.lib.al.us/about/index.php.

So far, my younger buddies have learned to search for the AVL through google.  We are working on accessing the resources for elementary students by clicking student resources and elementary school.  We’ve spent time exploring the online encyclopedia as well as Pebblego and the kids have really enjoyed their time exploring these two databases.

My older buddies and I have begun our unit on the AVL by exploring appropriate middle school databases which are easily accessed by going to the AVL website and clicking student resources and middle school.  So far, we’ve only accessed the online encyclopedia.  However, the kids have really enjoyed searching to see what is and isn’t available through the online encyclopedia.

Over the next few weeks, we’ll be exploring several more of the available databases so if you get a chance, pop over to the AVL website and check it out.  There are even adult resources that might be of interest to our parents!