- If you have not yet completed the required summer registration for your middle school student, please mark your calendar for our make-up registration for all grade levels on Thursday, July 30, 2015, from 4:00 until 6:00 PM. This is our final offering and all registrations not completed by that date will require a scheduled appointment during our regular office hours. Please call after July 30 for a scheduled time, 682-6610.
All registrations must be completed by the attendance of the legal custodial guardian with a verifiable photo ID. Two different and current proofs of Columbiana-area residence are required. Acceptable proofs of residence, listed in the legal custodiaal guardian’s name, are identified below:
- Alabama Power bill (June or July, 2015)
- Alagasco bill (June or July, 2015)
- Water bill (June or July, 2015)
- Mortgage Statement (June or July, 2015)
- 2014 Property Tax*
- Real Estate/Apartment Lease*
- Property Deed
*Please see http://www.shelby.k12.al.us/schools/cms/index.htm for more details.
All textbook or library fines or fees from the past school year must be paid prior to the release of the student’s schedule.
If you have any questions, please see call our main office, 682-6610.
Congrats to our Lady Wildcat volleyball players after a successful week of camp at UAB . . . they made Coaches Smith and Jones proud with their performance and attitude! The team got lots of instruction and playing time. Our girls also showed their compassion and support of former CMS and SCHS volleyball player, Hayleigh Green. The green ribbons on their bags are displayed in Hayleigh’s memory. The Lady Cats begin their season on August 28 and 29, 2015 at the Riverchase Tournament. Make plans to attend the first home match at CMS on September 1, 2015.
Registration is right around the corner! To the left is a copy of a postcard reminder that should be arriving in the mail in the next few days. Our goal is for parents and guardians to experience a smooth and quick registration. In order to facilitate that goal, please note there are several things of which we need your assistance:
1. Only the primary custodial parent or guardian may register CMS students and must be present at the resignation time. Please remember a photo ID will be required for identification purposes.
2. Be certain to complete and bring all items in the registration packet. Most parents took advantage of our spring pre-registration option but if you did not, the packet is available on our website or you may stop by our office to pick one up.
3. If there are custody or guardianship issues, please call our office (682.6610) before your student’s grade level registration date to verify what is needed.
4. If our records indicate your student has not paid library or textbook fees/fines from 2014-2015, he/she may have a delay in receiving their schedule or locker. Check the bottom left of your postcard to see if this applies to you.
5. Shelby County Schools’ Proof of Residence Policy will be adhered to for Columbiana-area zone verifications. Please make certain that you can provide two different and current proofs of residence listed on the postcard and on our website. If you are unable to do so, please call our office (682.6610) to learn how we can assist you.
In case you haven’t heard, Mollie wants to give back to an organization that so graciously gave to her . . . Magic Moments. Please check the below link to learn about the event and the many ways you can help! We are so prayerful for Mollie’s recovery and proud of her payback attitude. Here’s the link and enjoy the pictures:
A Wildcat Welcome is extended to CMS’s newly approved assistant principal, Andrea Childress. Mrs. Childress comes to Columbiana Middle from Chelsea Middle where she has spent the last 8 years as a science teacher. Mrs. Childress has a Bachelor of Science in Biology from Tuskegee University, a Master of Education in Instructional Leadership from the University of Montevallo, and an Educational Specialist in Educational Administration from Samford University. She is currently pursuing a doctorate in Educational and Instructional Leadership at Samford University. We look forward to you joining our family, Mrs. Childress!
It may be summer vacation but some folks are getting ready for next year! Congrats to our 2015-2016 cheerleaders for a successful cheer camp! Go Wildcats!
With only 11.5 days left in the 2014-2015 school year, here are a few reminders . . .
1. All textbook charges (damage or replacement) must be paid in full before the close of school. Participation in end-of-the-year activities will be limited to only those students who have rectified their charges Please note, both CMS and SCHS require textbook charges be paid prior to completing the registration process this summer. As a reminder, all CMS students (and a required guardian) must complete the summer registration process even if you participated in this spring’s early registration.
2. All library/media center charges (late fees, damage or replacement) must be paid in full before the close of school. Participation in end-of-the-year activities will be limited to only those students who have rectified their charges. Please note, both CMS and SCHS require Library/Media Center charges be paid prior to completing the registration process this summer. As a reminder, all CMS students (and a required guardian) must complete the summer registration process even if you participated in this spring’s early registration option. Don’t let an unpaid library fine or textbook charge keep your from getting your locker or schedule . . .
3. As always, cell phones must be silenced and stored in hall lockers during the instructional day. The policy has remained the same throughout the school year and any unauthorized possession of a cell phone will result in disciplinary action and a parent or guardian must pick up the phone from the front office.
4. Tardies to school and to class continue to be monitored and addressed when exceeding policy minimums. Please assist us by assuring your student arrives to school on time and encouraging him or her to transition between classes during the allotted times.
5. The dress code applies until the last day of school. Your help is requested to monitor dress/skirt/short length (no shorter than 3 inches above the knee). Remember, leggings and jeggings are not pants and must be worn with tops that are also no shorter than 3 inches above the knee. Narrow-strapped and low cut tops are not permitted either.
6. 9-week Benchmark assessments are right around the corner. Help your student to stay the course by encouraging them to prepare and do their best.
As always, your participation in your student’s school experience is valuable to us. We are grateful for your support and influence and look forward to a successful end of the year for all!
Here’s a few items of celebration certainly worthy of sharing:
1. Congratulations to Mr. Mayfield! He was recognized by the Office of Research on Teaching in the Disciplines in the College of Education at The University of Alabama and was awarded the 2015 Excellence in Teaching in English/Language Arts! We’re proud to call you a Wildcat, Mr. Mayfield!
2. Mrs. Jones and our Battle of the Books team made us proud, too, as they competed in the middle school division last week and brought home a second place trophy! Team members include Rhianna Anderson, Billy Fryer, Rachael Reeves, Nicole Smith, and Victoria Snyder. Congratulations to all!
3. Recognition goes to 11 of our current 7th graders who were recognized by Duke University’s Talent Identification Program. Of those 11 identified (which is an awesome honor), 7 of our students received recognition as their ACT scores placed them in the top 1% in the state of Alabama. Of those 7 students, one received Grand Recognition for placing in the top 1% nationally. Thanks for representing us so well!
4. Congrats to Mrs. Bailey and all of our CNP staff! Their latest inspection by the State Department of Health earned them a perfect 100 rating. CMS’s CNP rocks the school!
5. Mrs. Karen Lilly earns the next “write-up” as she is officially recognized this Tuesday (4/21) as CMS’s Support Person of the Year. She was also selected as the Shelby County Instructional Support Person of the Year and will compete at the next level for the overall Shelby County SPOY! Good luck to her!
6. Coach/Mr. Dustin Smith will have a big Wednesday (4/29) as he will be recognized as CMS’s 2015 Greater Shelby County Chamber of Commerce’s Secondary Educator of the Year Nominee. He, too, will hopefully be selected as the overall winner!
7. Congratulations to CMS bus driver, Susan Price! She brought home the first place trophy in this year’s Bus Road-e-o! Check out the article and pictures at: http://podcasts.shelbyed.k12.al.us/scs-news/2015/04/20/shelby-county-school-district-holds-annual-bus-road-e-o/
Welcome back from Spring Break 2015 . . . only 7 more weeks until schools out for summer!
Tomorrow, April 7, 2015, begins our first day of ACT Aspire testing beginning with our 7th grade students. We encourage you to see that your student gets a good night’s rest and eats a healthy breakfast. Please remind them that these assessments can help answer important questions:
- What does your student know right now? What is he or she ready to learn next?
- Are there gaps in your student’s knowledge and skills that need to be addressed?
- Is your student learning what’s necessary to be ready to enter college or the work world?
The schedule for testing is below with each day’s assessment beginning at approximately 8:00 AM. Please be mindful of this schedule regarding check-ins and check-outs.
I hope you like CMS’s recently updated webpage. Lot’s of folks helped in this process so thanks to all! Please take a moment to link to your student’s teachers blogs and check out their embedded calendars. This is a new feature we hope will keep both your student and you informed of the instruction in his or her classes. It’s a great snapshot and provides an opportunity to stay updated . . . especially when absent from school! You can even subscribe to the calendars for easy access on your cell phone or other mobile device!