Do you know the details of next week’s Spirit Dance, Tuesday, September 29th? Please see the following links regarding dance time, visitors, ticket sales, dismissal from the dance, and pick-up locations. Dance Details & Pick Up Map
The CMS Spirit Dance is next Tuesday, September 29, from 3:15-5:00 PM. Only CMS students in good standing with regard to library fines/fees and discipline may participate. Please ask your student to check the posted library lists located in the lunchroom and with each grade level’s ELA teacher.
Those students unable to attend due to discipline infractions, or those on conditional status, will be notified no later than Thursday, 9/24/15. Ticket sales begin Friday, 9/25, and are sold during lunch time only.
Questions about the new grading system?
Check out the attached brochure that each student received with their progress reports on Wednesday, September 16, 2015.
Tuesday, September 29, marks our CMS Spirit Dance! Wahoo! Our school dances are for enrolled CMS students only and are considered an extracurricular activity. Only students demonstrating appropriate behavior, completing assignments, and having no outstanding library fees or fines may attend. Any student who does not meet these expectations will be notified in a timely manner prior to the sale of dance tickets. A student’s attendance status is restored the day after the last dance so just because your student was not permitted to attend one dance, does not mean an exclusion from subsequent dances occurs. Again, expectations of behavior and responsibility are what qualifies a student to attend!
While September is Attendance Awareness Month, many of our students and parents are unaware that being chronically tardy to school or to class is addressed at Columbiana Middle School. Here is a summary of our tardy policy:
A student is considered tardy if he/she arrives in the classroom after the tardy bell. CMS considers two types of tardies: tardy to school and tardy to class. Students are allowed three cumulative unexcused tardies to school or to class per calendar month. Tardies to school are documented upon arrival to school. Tardies to class are documented by classroom teachers. Students will sign the tardy log when they are tardy and each tardy will be entered into INOW. Consequences for tardies to school or class are:
3rd tardy to school or class – Warning Letter
4th tardy to school or class – After School Detention
5th tardy to school or class – Saturday School
6th tardy or more to school or class – 1 Day Suspension for 6th and each subsequent tardy
Once a student has been suspended 3 times, parent and student will be referred to the Early Warning Program.
Columbiana Middle School and Elvin Hill Elementary School are coordinating their Open Houses for the same date to allow families to complete both visits in one evening. Please make plans to attend Tuesday, October 13th. EHES will begin at 5:00-6:00 PM in a Come & Go fashion. CMS will host a Teacher Meet & Greet beginning at 6:15 followed by grade level break-offs. Hope to see you at both schools!
We made it through our first full week of school! Hopefully everyone has adjusted and school is becoming a routine.
Please be certain to check our Google calendar located on the main page of our school website for upcoming events. Between that calendar, our weekly Listsrv (you will need to sign-up for this), teachers’ embedded calendars on their blogs, and an occasional post on this blog, these are our main sources of communication.
Here’s a few reminders . . .
1. Saturday’s, 8/22, football and cheerleader jamboree will be held at Calera High School’s field, beginning at 9:00 AM.
2. The Back-to-School Dance is Tuesday, 8/25, from 3:15-5:00 PM at CMS. This is for our CMS 6th-8th graders only. Only students with appropriate behavior may attend (students unable to attend have been notified by administration). The cost is $5 and tickets are sold only during lunch periods up to the day of the dance.
3. Volleyball plays Wednesday, 8/26, at SCHS at 5:00 PM.
4. Football play Thursday, 8/27, at SCHS at 5:30 PM.
5. We need your help . . . please be mindful that gum at CMS is not permitted.
Have a great and safe weekend!
The 2015-2016 school year is right around the weekend! Columbiana Middle School is an awesome place to spend your 6th, 7th, and 8th grade years and we’re excited to see familiar faces and welcome new ones! Here’s a few items of information:
1.CMS opens its doors at 7:00 AM (bell schedule is located on our website). Please do not drop your student off prior to that time as there is no supervision provided. Students arriving between 7:00-7:10 AM are directed to the lunchroom. At 7:10 AM grade level teachers on supervision duty will escort students not staying for breakfast to a designated grade level location. Students arriving to school after 7:10 AM will be directed to those grade level locations (8th-gym; 7th-Connector Hall; 6th-6th Grade Hall).
2. If you have not registered your student, please call the office as soon as possible to complete the process (682.6610). If your student is not registered by opening day, please do not send them to school on their own. We respectfully request that you allow time to get registered students settled in and that you arrive to CMS with your student after 9:00 AM. Again, please do not send your unregistered student to school without you.
3. Dress code begins the first day of school and details are located on our website. Please be advised that the summer-fun, but unnatural hair color (such as but not limited to pink, blue, green, purple, etc.) is not permitted. Girls need to be mindful of low cut tops and all shorts, skirts, or dresses must not be shorter than 3 inches above the knee, even if worn with leggings or jeggings.
4. School supplies that are turned into the teachers may be brought at your student’s earliest convenience. Teachers will be available to direct students to supply locations when they arrive to school.
5. Camp Cats is an orientation opportunity on Tuesday, August 11, from 9-11:00 AM for all incoming 6th graders and any new-to-CMS students. Parents are to drop off students at the front of the school and return at 11:00 AM for pick up in the same location. Please be mindful of our car line pick-up by staying in your vehicle and following the signage and directives of the supervising school personnel.
Enjoy your remaining days of summer vacation and see you Wednesday!
- If you have not yet completed the required summer registration for your middle school student, please mark your calendar for our make-up registration for all grade levels on Thursday, July 30, 2015, from 4:00 until 6:00 PM. This is our final offering and all registrations not completed by that date will require a scheduled appointment during our regular office hours. Please call after July 30 for a scheduled time, 682-6610.
All registrations must be completed by the attendance of the legal custodial guardian with a verifiable photo ID. Two different and current proofs of Columbiana-area residence are required. Acceptable proofs of residence, listed in the legal custodiaal guardian’s name, are identified below:
- Alabama Power bill (June or July, 2015)
- Alagasco bill (June or July, 2015)
- Water bill (June or July, 2015)
- Mortgage Statement (June or July, 2015)
- 2014 Property Tax*
- Real Estate/Apartment Lease*
- Property Deed
*Please see http://www.shelby.k12.al.us/schools/cms/index.htm for more details.
All textbook or library fines or fees from the past school year must be paid prior to the release of the student’s schedule.
If you have any questions, please see call our main office, 682-6610.
Congrats to our Lady Wildcat volleyball players after a successful week of camp at UAB . . . they made Coaches Smith and Jones proud with their performance and attitude! The team got lots of instruction and playing time. Our girls also showed their compassion and support of former CMS and SCHS volleyball player, Hayleigh Green. The green ribbons on their bags are displayed in Hayleigh’s memory. The Lady Cats begin their season on August 28 and 29, 2015 at the Riverchase Tournament. Make plans to attend the first home match at CMS on September 1, 2015.