Student Code of Conduct and Attendance 2017-18
Outline for Highlighting
Page 1 – Put a box around the whole introduction section.
* to ensure the presence of a safe, friendly, and professional atmosphere in which students and school personnel work cooperatively toward mutually accepted goals. (lines 3 and 4)
*it is reasonable to assume that an increase in age and maturity will result in the student’s assumption of greater responsibility for their actions.(second paragraph line 1 & 2)
Page 8 – Suspension
* B. if suspended, students may make up any silver or gold assignments or tests.
Page 9-13 – Violations and Disciplinary Actions
Class 1 Violations
*101 Excessive Tardiness – 3 or more in a month is a violation
*102 Distraction of other students or the school program
*103 Dress Code
*104 School Bus – minor disruption
*Note: Gum chewing is included here
Class 1 Disciplinary Action – detention
Class 2 (II) Violations
*202 Possession and/or use of prescription, non-prescription medication, inhalants, or aerosol sprays (example AXE or perfume -those you use only)
*203 Tobacco or E-Cigarette products
*205 Use of profane or obscene language
*206 Bullying of students
*209 Academic Dishonesty
*213 Possession of stolen property (less than $100)
*220 Use of slurs: racial, ethnic, or other – verbal or written insults
Class 2 (II) Disciplinary Actions – in-school suspension, suspension from school and/or bus, Saturday School
Class 3 (III) Violations
*302 Misuse or abuse of prescription or non- prescription medication, inhalants, aerosol sprays, or other products – you giving to or spraying someone else.
*303 Stealing-Larceny-Grand Theft – more than $100
*308 Individuals and/or groups inciting or participating in unauthorized demonstrations and/or disorderly activities – attempt to re-engage after the fight
*312 Directing obscene, profane language or gestures to a school board employee (teacher/aide/office worker/custodian, etc.)
*314 Major violation of student acceptable use policy for the use of technology – tampering, intentional disruption of network services…
*319 The Misuse and/or abuse of electronic communication devices (personal or school) – NO RECORDING in restrooms, locker rooms, performance areas, or teachers’ classes without permission
Class 3 (III) Disciplinary Actions – suspension, expulsion, law enforcement shall be contacted and a complaint filed with juvenile authorities.
Class 4 (IV) Violations
*401 Alcohol and Illegal Drugs
*412 Intentionally providing false information
*413 Misuse or abuse of prescription drugs
Class 4 (IV) Disciplinary Actions – expulsion and Law enforcement will be involved – 2. Long-term assignment to New Direction 3. Expulsion from the Shelby County School System
Page 15 –
Personal Searches: a purse, book bag may be searched whenever a school authority has reasonable suspicion to believe that the student is in possession of something illegal or unauthorized.
Locker Searches: Lockers are school property – students are expected to assume full responsibility for the security of their lockers – school officials may search lockers at any time without notice, without student consent, and without a search warrant.
Page 15 & 16
Dress Code & Guidelines
- No low cut, open back, or bare midriff clothing
- Males must wear sleeved garments. Female students may not wear spaghetti and/or thin-strapped shirts unless over another T-shirt or if covered by a blouse with sleeves.
- Skirts, shorts, and dresses must be mid-thigh. Leggings (jeggings) should be worn with the appropriate outer garment and that garment must be mid-thigh.
No Holes or Frayed areas on pants!!!!
- Appropriate undergarments must be worn and not visible.
- Once students arrive at their school bus stop, they are subject to the rules of the school system.
Page 17 – Student Arrival at School: Doors open at 7:00 a.m. – there is no supervision before that time.
Regulations Governing Attendance:
- Check-outs and check-ins shall be considered as an absence for the classes missed.
- Only an excused absence permits work to be made up.
- Students will not be allowed to participate or attend a school function such as an athletic contest, Gala, band trip, etc. if they are not in school for at least one-half of the instructional day of the event. 11:30 marks the half day.
- Number of Absences Allowed: more than 12 absences during a school year is subject to loss of credit and/or retention
- Any student who accumulates more than 12 absences during the year, is subject to being retained in the same grade the succeeding year.
- Make-Up Work
- Excused Absences
- Time limit – Excuses for absences must be turned in within three (3) days after returning to school
- Check-Out/Check-in Procedure – Parent/Legal Guardian will be required to show a picture ID
- Notification of Parent or Guardian
- Tardies will be closely monitored * Unexcused check-in/check-outs should not exceed more than 2 per month.
- Early Warning Program – A child is truant if no explanation is provided for absences or the child is absent for reasons other than those recognized as excusable.
Page 22 Student Cell Phone Use (box this whole section and read)
*Cell phones cannot be audible on school property
*Privacy in all restrooms, locker rooms, and performance areas
*Visual or audible possession of a digital device will result in the device being confiscated.
1st offense – detention & parent pick up the phone
2nd offense – ISD & parent pick up the phone
3rd offense – office referral
Page 25 Examples of Unacceptable Use
Students shall not tamper, disable, damage, disrupt, or install…
- Tamper with or modify technology, utilities, and configurations – Don’t flip the screen!!
- Dispose of, move, or remove technology from its assigned location
- Access or use another user’s account, resources, programs, files, or data.
- Allow others to use your network account and/or password to access the network, email, or the Internet.
- Use another person’s identity or a fictitious identity.
- Create, access, view, or post to personal online accounts while at school
Treat Google Drive like your locker! – It can be searched at any time!