Complete the following google survey prior to early morning workouts on Wednesday, June 15th!
Archive for the 'Announcements' Category
Congratulations to the following players who made the OMHS Volleyball teams. We are so proud of you and all of your hard work. GO OM Lady Eagles!!! Note: There will be a mandatory parent meeting: Tuesday, May 17th in the OMHS Cafeteria at 5:00.
2016-2017 OMHS Volleyball
|1. Mollie Grace Wade
2. Jacoby Sims
3. Kenzie Warren
4. Kathryn Beard
5. Torie Denkers
6. Keller Lovvorn
7. Kaitlyn Lund
8. Bri Palmer
9. Maddie Moss
10. Lauren Price
11. Cameron Rueschenberg
12. Kendall Scharbert
|1. Julia Burdett
2. Emery Little
3. Frida Anguiano
4. Kayla Gallman
5. Erica Miller
6. Kirsty Mullaly
7. Lauryn Pannell
8. Kaylin Warren
9. Katelyn Frey
10. Tayler Collier
11. Haley Joy
12. Torie Martin
13. Jessica Pack
14. Cassie Ambrose
15. Megan Smiley
|1. Abby Tracey
2. Hannah Faulkner
3. Grace Shirley
4. Danielle Retief
5. Zoe Atkinson
6. Caroline Serra
7. Emily Roberts
8. Ashleigh Hogan
9. Josie Ohlson
10. Avery Land
11. Erin Denenberg
Thank you to all of those girls who came out for tryouts for the 2016 – 2017 OMMS Volleyball team.
Congratulations to the following girls who are invited to join the 2016-17 OMMS Volleyball Teams!
Should you choose to accept your invitation, you and a parent will need to attend the Mandatory Team Meeting on Wednesday, 4/20/2016 @ 5:30 p.m., in the OMMS cafeteria. Should you not attend, you forfeit your position on the team.
You will need to bring the following:
- Checkbook to write a check for the team camp, operational fee, and the spirit pack items you select at this time (you may work out a payment plan with Coach Ferguson)
- Car Insurance information if your Driver form is not complete (whether you plan on driving carpool or not as we want to make sure you are covered to drive in case of emergency)
- Any other completed forms
What happens after you make the team:
- Athletes are to attend summer workout sessions starting first week of June 2016. More info will be given at the meeting. Please complete the Summer Workout Conflicts Survey to inform us of your conflicts for the summer workouts by Friday, May 6th!
- Athletes are to attend a summer camp at the end of July (July 29-30th dates subject to change).
Oak Mountain High School has volleyball tryouts open to rising 9th graders to rising 12th graders on the following dates. Those who miss tryout days as a result of a school sponsored event will not be penalized but are expected to contact Coach Conner (email@example.com) to discuss your situation.
- May 9th – 13th: 3:30 – 6: 00 p.m.
Be sure to have an updated physical and turn it in to Coach Conner at OMHS before or on the first tryout day of May 9, 2016. Also, register at the following link: 2016 OMMS/OMHS VB Registration
For more information, contact Coach Conner at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You must workout on our off days. During each summer condition session, we record your performance (times, reps) to gage your improvement over time. No matter how good one’s volleyball skills are, a player must also have strength and agility to use those skills well. The only way to improve your performance is to work out on our off days. Cardio workouts must have your heart pumping like when you run the mile for us.
Read carefully and follow the team’s 2012 Volleyball Summer Expectations.
In June, we covered the following during summer conditioning.
Remember, it is necessary to stretch at the beginning of a workout after brief 3-5 minutes of movement to get the muscles warm. It is also vital to stretch at the end of every workout to help improve flexibility and reduce the risk of injury. Our streching routine is listed below.
- Arms (across, right then left)
- Arms (behind head, right then left)
- Quads (right then left)
- Hamstrings (standing; together, right, left, center)
- Lean to the right
- Calf stretch to the right
- Lean to the left
- Calf stretch to the left
- Groin (squatting)
- Hamstrings (sitting; together, right, left, center)
- Back (sitting, turning to the right)
- Gluteus Maximus (sitting, pushing the right leg to the chest)
- Back (sitting, turning to the left)
- Gluteus Maximus (sitting, pushing the left leg to the chest)
- Back (laying; right side then left side)
1. Mile: Tuesdays we run for speed (best personal time) and Thursdays for endurance (consistent times per lap). Must always run, never walk. Breathe in nose, out mouth.
2. Dots: See bottom of Program Documents page for a how-to lesson. Work toward perfection/precision, then speed.
3. General Strength
- Crunches: 4 sets of 25, regular, right oblique, left oblique, lower abs (legs elevated)
- Plank: precision/perfect form, personal best (to exhaustion)
- Pushups: perfect form, personal best (to exhaustion)–>at home work, add one perfect pushup per day
- Wall-sit: back flat to wall, knees at right angle, hands off thighs, precision in form, personal best (to exhaustion)
- Superman: 3 sets of 10 (we will begin these in July)
4. Lateral Test: quick footwork, low/defensive lateral movement, precision and speed, personal best time (Tuesday workouts)
5. Ladder: See bottom of Program Documents page for a how-to lesson. Work toward perfection/precision, then speed.
Each pattern below twice through beginning with the right foot, and twice through beginning with left foot
- 1 foot each box
- 2 feet each box
- Sideways 2 feet each box
- Skip 1 box
- Skip 2 boxes
- In and Out (sideways)
- In and Out (forward)
6. Game and Practice Warm-up (two times through each pattern; turning towards the same direction every time)
- Jog (about 50%)
- High Knees (knees up to hip level)
- Butt Kicks (quick fast feet)
- High Skips (opposite arm, opposite leg; driving knee up)
- Grapevine (fast feet, rotating the hips)
- Defensive Slides (touching the ground every third step)
- Frankenstein (active stretching, slow and controlled)
- Knee-Pull-Quad (active stretching, slow and controlled)
- Sumo Drop Step (active stretching, slow and controlled)
- Jog 50%
- Jog 75%
- Sprint 100% (3 times)
7. Line Drills: should be completed for a total of 20 seconds each at maximum speed pushing faster for the last 5 seconds
- Front to back
- Side to side
- Box going clockwise
- Box going counter-clockwise
- Hour glass to the right
- Hour glass to the left
8. Vertical jumping
- Block Jumps: 3 sets 10 slow, 3 sets of 10 fast; think about balanced feet, locked arms, strong and big hands with thumbs and pinkies lined up, strong core
- Jump Rope: 3 minutes daily (we will add this to the work out in July)
- Box Work (we will add this to the work out in July)