1. Be on the lookout next week when Academic Partners will hide the OM fleur de lis indicating a freebie for the gala. Prizes include free pizza, free gala ticket, free chicken nuggets, free ice cream floats, free Mardi Gras hat, and a free try at the Mardi Gras walk! Please note that you may not wear masks or hats to the gala. This is a dressy event. Mardi Gras related hats will be available as prizes. Krispy Kreme doughnut orders, either chocolate Valentine decorated or original glazed, are available in the front office and will be due by next Tuesday.
2. Today’s THE DAY for submitting course selections to the appropriate teacher. Additionally, these teachers will welcome your submissions for these classes by 3 p.m. today:
FACS – Gargiulo – C9/7 Publications – Graham – C5 or Acton –C-20
Robotics – Whitehead – C1 Broadcast – G7/B4 Epperson – Art
Peer Mediators – Turpen – D9 or McKinnon – C-16
3. Voting for your favorite Valentine Crush continues at lunch through next Wednesday. Remember, your vote is what will make this anticipated event a reality!
4. JUNA will meet Monday, 3-4 p.m. with Mrs. Higginbotham.
5. Good luck to the finalists in today’s Hoop for Hearts championship: Toon Squad, White Mambas, McBuckets, Team USA, Airballers and Shift team! We appreciate these teachers joining in the fun: Buckner, Crisp, D. Kennedy, McGaughy, and C. Burdett!
1. FCCLA treat sale will be available in C-2 during 7th period today beginning with 8th graders. If supply/time allow, other grades will be notified.
2. 8th graders interested in 9th grade SGA positions should now plan to attend a meeting with
Mr. Milton from OMHS next Wednesday, Feb. 10.
3. With colder weather still lingering, stay warm with our OM sweatpants…just $20 and available in the front office!
4. Congratulations to our students in art, band, chorus, and broadcast who have already sold over 1000 books! The sale continues through February 17…keep up the good work!
5. Cheer packets are due to Mrs. Hudson by February 12.
6. Tomorrow is the deadline for sixth & seventh graders to turn in 2016-17 course selections. Remember, if you don’t choose, the counselors select for you!
7. Congratulations to our Sixth Grade Scholars Bowl team who was awarded third place at their County tournament!
8. Please see Mrs. Rucker if you are the female owner of the “Blue Avacado” lunch bag.
* There is no golf practice today.
* Track try-outs continue today – be dressed and ready by 3:15 p.m.
Save the date! Thursday, March 10 as Athletic Boosters presents the Glow Run…all types of neon accessories & festivities!
Pre-registration begins soon!
1. We’re pleased to announce that Mrs. Jackson & Mrs. Vicki Webb are in the Valentine “Crush” sumo wrestling match-off! Your donation (made at lunch) determines who will “wrestle” plus benefit our technology needs. The match takes place February 11!
2. 8th graders interested in running for 9th grade SGA at OMHS will meet Thursday (not today) during 7th period in the cafeteria. Be sure to report for attendance first!
3. 6/7th grade students interested in the specialty classes, publications, all-year FACS/Art, Robotics, etc. are reminded your deadline is this Friday to respond to the sponsor’s requirements.
7th graders who wish to be considered as front office aides are reminded you must submit the “Aide Selection” form to the counselor first and wait for follow-up with Mrs. Rucker.
4. Good luck tomorrow to our 7/8th grade Scholars Bowl teams and band students selected for Auburn Honor Band!
5. Check out Ms. Turpen’s Mardi Gras look today…just one of the items that will be available to purchase or win! The gala will feature:
> Valentine doughnuts from Krispy Kreme – orders must be placed ahead of time and picked up when leaving the gala (forms in office)
> Chick-fil-a nuggets
> Papa John’s pizza
> Mardi Gras Float (the liquid kind) from Bruster’s Ice Cream
> Mardi Gras Walk – your chance to win beads, tiaras, “swamp” hats, and more!
Please remember this gala is only for OMMS students who exhibit appropriate behavior.
Tickets will be sold at lunch February 11/12 for $7.
> Who’s Who winners announced
> Music, dancing & games!
* Track try-outs continue today..be dressed and ready by 3:15 p.m.
* Softball players will report to B-19 today after changing clothes for practice.
REMEMBER TO TAKE PROGRESS REPORTS HOME TODAY!
1. 8th graders will have an opportunity to purchase treats today from FCCLA. The sale takes place in C-2 after 7th period attendance. All items are $1.
2. The NS Library is hosting a volunteer day this Saturday if needed. Please visit email@example.com to sign up.
3. Mrs. Hudson & Mrs. Auer’s after school groups will meet today.
4. Today’s front office aide meeting planned for 7th period is postponed.
5. Course selections are due by this Friday. Sixth graders will return to Science teachers; 7th to ELA.
6. Cheerleaders are reminded that clean uniforms are due back to Mrs. Howton by Friday.
Track Try-outs begin today through Thursday, 3-4:30 p.m. Please place bags on the state, change clothes and meet in the gym by 3:15 p.m.
Baseball players should pick up a glove and proceed to D-6 after dismissal. Please bring the bucket of baseballs!
1. SGA officers and reps will meet in B-2 after reporting for 7th period attendance.
2. Front office aides should plan to meet with Mrs. Rucker during 7th period on Monday in the media center.
3. Make your plans early to attend the February 12 Mardi Gras themed gala…several fun events are planned, including a sumo-teacher wrestling match, hidden masks, prizes & surprises!
4. Get ready to TREAT yourself!!! Bring $1 to support the FCCLA bake sale next week and enjoy a yummy treat! Monday – 8th grade, Tuesday – 7th grade, Wednesday, 6th – Grade, Thursday – TBA. Proceeds will support FCCLA programs and service projects!
5. Attention 6/7th graders: Remember your course selections are due by next Friday. If interested in the aide positions or all year classes, you must sign up with the appropriate sponsor and return requested information by February 5:
Publications – Graham/Action
FACS – Gargiulo
Project Lead the Way/Robotics – Whitehead
Broadcast – Polizos
6. Monday, February 1 is the deadline for entries for SC Literary magazine.
7. OM sweatshirt orders are due Monday.
> Re Sports Physical Day: With teacher’s permission, students will report to the gym as follows:
* 6th grade after 4B lunch
* 7/8th grade after 5A lunch
> Track try-outs begin Monday for those students who have a current physical on file. Dress appropriately for the weather with athletic shoes. Be dressed and ready by 3:15 p.m. in the gym. Parents will pick up at 4:30 p.m.
1. SGA officers and reps should plan to meet tomorrow during advisory in B-2. Remember to check-in for 7th period attendance first.
2. 8th graders who received the Math team invites are redirected to meet with Mr. Burdett today during 7th period. Please check in with your advisory teacher first for attendance.
3. Attention 6/7th graders! Your 2016-17 course selections will be due by February 5. 6th grade students will return their course selection forms to their science teacher. 7th grade students will return their course selection forms to their ELA teacher.
4. Mrs. Hudson & Mrs. Shipman’s after school groups will meet today.
5. Please note the dress code states that students must wear clothing appropriate for school. During colder weather, please wear a coat or jacket as a blanket is not considered acceptable on the bus or in the building.
Good luck to our 7th grade girls’ basketball team against Hewitt-Trussville. Team members may dismiss at 2:40 p.m.
If you signed up for the golf team, please report for 7th period attendance and then meet Coach McGaughy in D-10 this afternoon.
Regarding the Sports Physical Day tomorrow:
> Only those students who previously signed up with Coach Tatum will be allowed to go and the teachers have a list of eligible students.
> You must have your $20 payment to board the bus – exact change please or check made payable to OMMS
> Eligible sixth graders will depart to the gym after 4B lunch.
> Eligible seventh graders will depart to the gym after 5A lunch.
> Eligible eighth graders will eat 5A and sit at table 15. Please report to the gym immediately after finishing lunch.
8th graders who received Math team invitations should plan to meet with Mr. Burdett on Monday during advisory.
2. 6/7th graders interested in Broadcast Journalism for next year should pick up information from Mrs. Polizos in G-7, or if during advisory, B-4.
3. If you love writing, graphic design, and investigating stories, please consider signing up for next year’s Publications’ class. See Mrs. Acton or Mrs. Graham for additional information.
4. Sixth grade Math team will meet tomorrow, 3-4:15 p.m. with Mrs. Webb.
5. OM Sweatshirts are being sold again! Order forms are in the front office. Color choices are red, navy, and gray in either a crew neck or hoodie. Form/payment due by next Monday.
1. 8TH grade Scholars Bowl team will practice from 3-4:30 p.m. today in anticipation of the
February 6 District Tournament.
2. Good luck to our Debate team as they head to Samford at 2:30 p.m. today!
3. 7th graders who were absent yesterday should plan to report for 7th period attendance and then B-17 to pick up 8th grade curriculum information from Mrs. Butz.
4. 8th graders who have not yet received their OMHS packets should plan to report for 7th period attendance and then meet the high school counselor in the media center today.
5. Please remember to visit the SGA blog and cast your vote for the upcoming Who’s Who!
6. First Priority and Chess Club will meet tomorrow morning as usual.
7. Monday, February 1 is the deadline to submit creative writing/art to your ELA teacher for the SC Literary magazine…let your voice be heard & seen!
The deadline to participate in Friday’s sports physical has passed. Only those students who had the pre-evaluation yesterday or who have special permission from Coach Tatum will be excused on Friday. You must have your $20 payment on Friday to board the bus.
7/8th graders are reminded tomorrow is the last day to sign up for golf try-outs at Mr. McGaughy’s door, D-10.
Good luck to our 7th grade girls as they prepare to play Pizitz today in the Metro tournament. Tip-off is 5:15 p.m. at Mt. Brook.
Congratulations to our
Eagle Wrestlers &
Coaches McGaughy & Richardson for winning
the 2016 Metro South Championship!
1. Phase I meets today, 3-4:30 p.m. in Mrs. Nobles’ room.
2. The February 12 gala will have a Mardi Gras theme and the attire will be dressy Sunday with no color restrictions. No masks, but beads and hats will be available to purchase. And, of course, we’ll have the Who’s Who, so please remember to visit the SGA blog for voting this week! Additional gala details will be forthcoming.
3. SGA officers and representatives should report quickly for 7th period attendance prior to the cafeteria for your yearbook photo.
4. Congratulations to our All-star dance team who won first place at the All Stars competition and placed 3rd at the UDA competition
5. Mrs. Auer’s after school group will resume meeting on Monday & Wednesday beginning today, 3:05 – 4:05 p.m. Parents should pick up promptly at the front of the school.
Good luck to our girls’ basketball teams as they head to play Pizitz today in Metro play at Bragg in Gardendale. The 7th grade girls will play tomorrow in their first round bye!
Softball players are reminded to be dressed and ready for practice today by 3:15 p.m.
7/8th graders interested in golf are reminded to sign up by Wednesday at D-10.