A Wreath for Emmett Till

Today second period, third period, fourth period, and fifth period read A coverWreath for Emmett Till in class. Two classes even got to read it outside under the pine trees–until Mrs. Culver’s allergies got the better of her…We discussed the combination of history, English, art, and current events that the book wove together.  Not quite an uplifting story, but a reminder from the past that we should never allow something like that to happen again. 

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”–George Santayana

More information on Emmett Till:

Wiki on Emmett Till

Emmett Till Murder

American Experience

Timeline

This entry was posted in Poetry Portfolio Project, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to A Wreath for Emmett Till

1. Ashley Brown says:

Thank you Mrs. Culver for showing us this in class! It has seriously made me want to get active in the rights of people everywhere. I think the story of Emmett Till is one that we all need to know. Although the story is depressing and upsetting it reminds us that at one point in time (not that long ago) things weren’t as they are today. I hope that everyone gets a chance to read about Emmett Till and I hope that it has as big of an impact on them as it did me.
    -Ashley

2. Seth says:

I liked going outside. 🙂

3. Anna says:

this book was sad )’: it really makes me appriciate how far our counrty has come.

4. Connor Gardner says:

Thanks Mrs. Culver for sharing this book with us! It was depressing but in a good way because it opened my eyes to the evils the south commited and still commits today (to a lesser degree). I hope someday prejudices will fade away completely and we can all sing Kumbaya together! XD Anyway, nice blog!

5. Alex Wurstner says:

Thanks Mrs. Culver for showing us this book. It teaches us of the rights of other races and how back then rights of people were lower than they are today.

6. catrina kennedy says:

i am really glad we ready this mrs.culver it was very inspiring for me!! and it shows me that it really isnt right and we need to treat people failry and not treat people different or badly because of their culture or skin color! and i hiope everyone gets to read it and it inspires everyone that does!! thank again mrs.culver!! your the best english teacher EVER!!!!!!!!!!

7. Davis Faulkner says:

I really like the poetry unit we are doing in your class. Thank you for showing the poetry book about Emmitt Till to us. It taught us about the wrongs committed against African Americans in the south during the civil rights movement.