“Dewey” Know How to Shelve Our Books???

This year, I’m trying something new! ¬†I have taught kids how to use the Dewey Decimal system in the library for years. ¬†For years, I’ve had kids that still need help finding a book in the library. ¬†Of course I don’t mind helping but I want the kids to be able to find a book on their own. ¬†Independence is the key! ¬†So, this year, I’m trying something new.

I used one of the first few library lessons to teach about the Dewey Decimal System and how to find a book in the library. ¬†We practiced looking up books using our automation system and finding those books on the shelves. ¬†And now, drumroll please…I am asking the kids to shelve their own books when they return them to the library. ¬†And you know what, I’ve never had a group do a better job with remembering how to use the Dewey Decimal system. ¬†Right now, the kids are in training. ¬†They go to where they think their book belongs and I check to see if they are right. I’m amazed at how good the kids are getting at finding the right spot using their knowledge of the Dewey system! ¬†And you know what? ¬†If our kiddos can use this system in our library then they are going to be able to go on to much bigger libraries and do the exact same thing. ¬†Like I said before, independence is key and our kids are on their way to being independent in the library!