A scholarship fund has been established at the University of Montevallo in loving memory of Tara Owen, who lost her life on October 24, 2001, after a long, courageous battle with cystic fibrosis. Tara, a 1996 UM graduate, often said she had “learned to treasure life, the people I’ve been fortunate enough to have in my life, and to be patient with my body. When people first realize I have cystic fibrosis, they think my disease makes me different. When they get to know me, they realize my spirit differentiates me from anyone else.”
In that spirit, a scholarship fund has been established to honor Tara Owen’s memory in perpetuity.
The Tara Owen Scholarship committee is pleased that you are interested in obtaining one of its scholarships for the University of Montevallo. See Mrs. Payne for an application. The completed application form must be returned to Mrs. Payne or Mrs. Keahey not later than May 2, 2016, together with:
- a personal letter from you introducing yourself to us;
- two letters of recommendation, preferably from teachers or an adult friend;
- a small photograph, approximately 2”x3”, with your name on the back.
Qualifications are the following:
- Senior who will attend the University of Montevallo
- Student must have a 3.0 GPA or above
- Student who has overcome or dealt with a major difficulty in life.
The Tara Owen Scholarship funds shall be used for tuition, fees, or college-sponsored room and board only, and will be paid directly to the University of Montevallo.
The 2016 Tara Owen Scholarship recipient shall be announced at Senior Night on May 17.