Oak Mountain Senior Honored for Heroic Actions During January Snow Storm

Adam EdwardsAdam Edwards, a senior at Oak Mountain High School, was recently honored by the Alabama State House of Representatives for his heroic actions during the snow and ice storm on January 28.  Edwards left Oak Mountain High School when school dismissed that morning and make it safely home.  However, he decided to go back out on his four-wheeler to see if he could assist anyone who needed help.  He spent the rest of the day, and much of that night helping rescue many motorists who were stranded all along Caldwell Mill Road, Valleydale Road and Highway 280.  Edwards was also instrumental in calling 911 and then help paramedics reach an elderly man, who had fallen and hit his head on the road.

“The ambulance couldn’t get up the hill, as the man was stranded on the steepest part,” Edwards recalled. “So me and some another man on an ATV rode down to the bottom of the hill and each of us put a paramedic on our ATV and then rode them up the hill.”

Edwards said the paramedics eventually had to slide the man a backboard down the hill and he was airlifted from the scene. 

“I went home still in shock, praying that he was alright,” Edwards said of the scary moment.  

The commendation was awarded by State Representative Mary Sue McClurkin.  Edwards was commended for his “heroism and bravery while aiding stranded motorists and serving his fellow man during the snow storm on January 28, 2014.”  The certificate states that is was offered with “highest admiration and with best wishes for future endeavors.”  It was signed by Speaker of the House Mike Hubbard.

One of the people Edwards rescued was his English teacher, Jackie Plaia, who said she was very grateful for his assistance.

“He was truly my hero that day,” she said. “I had all of my students write a paper about their experiences that day.  They were all joking with me saying that Adam would automatically get an A on his paper because he rescued me that day.  I told they they were probably right!  I am very grateful to him for taking care of me and I am so proud of him for helping so many people.  He really was a hero that day.”

Adam Edwards award

Be the first to comment on "Oak Mountain Senior Honored for Heroic Actions During January Snow Storm"