Oak Mountain High School SGA Hosting Color Me Rad 5K for Relay for Life

The Oak Mountain Student Government Assocation is hosting a Color Me Rad 5K Run to raise money for Relay for Life.  The event will be held Saturday, May 17 at Oak Mountain High School.  The deadline for registration is May 8.

The event was organized by Oak Mountain seniors, Mandy Kelly and Mollie Shealy.

“I originally got involved with Relay for Life because my grandfather died from lung cancer and it not only rocked my world but also my family,” said Shealy. “Being involved with Relay for Life allows me to continue the fight my grandfather and others couldn’t finish but also allows me to support the warriors fighting cancer.”

“It allows me to part of something bigger than myself. Being able to plan this race helps not only the research of cancer but also the men and women so bravely fighting cancer now,” Shealy continued. “We do this for more birthdays and to fight cancer. Cancer affects everyone and that’s why we would really love everyone’s support of our 5K.”

“My grandmother died from Luekemia before I was born, but seeing how much of a dramatic effect it had on my mom’s life made me realize how awful cancer is,” Kelly added “My best friend’s mom died when she was only seven years old. No kid should ever have to experience that kind of pain and suffering. After seeing people get so hurt from this and finding out that there was a group at school that helped fight back, I knew I had to get involved.”

“I wanted to do something big that our school had never done before,” Kelly continued.  “Me and my friend Mollie were brainstorming ideas when we decided to do a mock color run called the Color Me Rad 5k. It would be a fun, yet beneificial way to raise money for a cause that effects so many of our daily lives. We hope everyone signs up and helps us fight back!

Be the first to comment on "Oak Mountain High School SGA Hosting Color Me Rad 5K for Relay for Life"