Shelby County Schools Technology Coordinator Susan Poling has been honored as the recipient of the International Society for Technology Educators (ISTE) Making IT Happen award. Poling received the award at the Fall Symposium of the Alabama Educational Technology Association, which serves as a state affiliate of ISTE.
The award honors outstanding educators and leaders who demonstrate extraordinary commitment, leadership, courage and persistence in improving digital learning opportunities for students. Since its inception in 1995 more than 500 educators from around the world have received the award.
The spirit of the Making IT Happen award supports the organization’s vision of a world in which all learners thrive, achieve and contribute.
Award recipients are educators who:
- Apply available technology now.
- Move forward and don’t look back.
- See students as real people.
- Teach through relationships, inspiring, encouraging and nurturing.
- Recognize that further change is necessary, but understand that it is a process.
- Realize that teacher empowerment is the key element to technology integration.
- Expect success.
- Motivate through awareness and access to information.