Chelsea High School Student Takes Part in Stanford Law School Summer Program

Brianna BradenChelsea High School student Brianna Braden was one of a select number of outstanding high school students from across the nation chosen to take part in a unique opportunity, Intensive Law & Trial, an Envision program conducted in collaboration with Stanford Law School.

“This program inspired me to continue on my path to become a 21st century lawyer, with interest in child advocacy, and making a difference in the modern world to give children a voice to be heard,” said Braden, a rising sophomore at Chelsea High.

The 10-day program, held July 11-20 at Stanford Law School in Palo Alto, CA, provided high-achieving high school students with an overview of various aspects of an exciting career in law.

“Students in this intensive program get a chance to step into the roles of prosecutor and defense counsel in a challenging mock trial,” said Andrew Potter, Chief Academic Officer for Envision and Intensive Law & Trial. “They learn what it takes to be a 21st century attorney, deepen their appreciation of the legal field and explore academic and career options at a top-ranked school.”

The Intensive Law & Trial curriculum is endorsed by the American Mock Trial Association and
recognized as an approved program by the National Association of Secondary School Principals
(NASSP). Scholars stayed on the Stanford University campus and learned the foundation of law from preeminent legal professionals. This included hearing from Stanford Law School professors on the practice of law, legal rhetoric and ethics.

Students also got firsthand practice using essential legal skills such as making impactful opening and closing arguments, preparing cases and readying witnesses for cross-examinations.

“Law is a passion of mine, but I have other interests and opportunities where I have been able to exercise my leadership and communication skills, such as being a part of the YWCA Heritage Panel; being chosen as a Student Ambassador representing Chelsea High School; being a Special Education Peer Helper; serving as an Alter Server at my local church; and being a camp counselor for the Alabama Institute for the Deaf and Blind Summer Chill Out Camp,” Braden said. “I believe a great leader has to have the ability to empathize, have compassion, and be able to communicate their feelings, ideas and vision.”

“None of this would be possible without the support and encouragement from my grandparents, Kimmie and Eddie Braden. Both push me to continue on learning, and to see the world as it really is – huge,” Braden continued. “They frequently tell me, ‘The greatest thing you have in life is your education, no one can take that away from you.’ I hope that one day I will make them proud by graduating law school, and practice in a field that I truly love.”

Intensive Law & Trial is part of the Envision family of programs (www.envisionexperience.com),
which enable students of all ages to explore their interests and experience learning beyond the
classroom. Since 1985, Envision programs have served more than 800,000 students in more than 145 countries.

Be the first to comment on "Chelsea High School Student Takes Part in Stanford Law School Summer Program"