OOOPPS! You can do it again!!

All of my  students are allowed to retake one test every nine week period.  If you did poorly on my plot test or capitalization test you should come to retake it any morning, except Wednesday,  between 7:10 and 7:25 or on Wednesday afternoon if you have a ride home.  Don’t miss the bus. I will stay until 5.

In addition, if you need assistance I am available each morning after 7:20 in my classroom.

Reading:       

Homework due Monday:                                                                                                                                                                     complete a close read of Ch.1,2,&3                                                                                                       

I will be at the SCISC on Monday so my students will be with Mrs. Adams, who is very familiar with                                       The Watsons Go to Birminhham.  Students will complete a Venn diagram for chapters 1-3 and  answer a                               few questions about what they have read.  They will need their novels, composition books and a pen or                 sharpened pencil.

Students should read chapter 4 for Tuesday.  On Tuesday we will discuss point of view, characterization,                            and theme in the first 4 chapters.  Don’t forget literature terms can be reviewed in the Literary Terms Handbook              in the reference section of your literature textbook or by using the interactive handbook on the McGraw Hill/Glencoe site.

English:

I will be out on Monday.  Students will independently read 2 historical fiction short stories

“Song of the Trees”  and “Bargain” .  We will review collective, or group, nouns as requested by students

on Wednesday of last week.  We will review the four types of sentences,   sentence fragments vs. complete sentences, and then we will take a quiz on these topics on Thursday.

Students will write the first draft of their short stories Thursday and Friday.  Students have had 3 weeks

at home and 4 class days to brainstorm,  plan and  develope a plot graph,major characters and

possible dialogue.

Basic requirements for completed short story:

Historical events or characters that identify the time period in American History                                                                               ( post Civil War not including WWII)

One simple plot line that has conflict that leads to one climax–remember, this is like one episode                                             of  Sponge Bob or Andy Griffith  not a whole season or series–that would be a novel

Evidence of indirect characterization as well as direct

Dialog that furthers the plot developement and characterization of major characters

Complete sentences

Correct spelling and punctuation

This short story is an opportunity for you to make your own choice about what and how you write.                                            I know you’re only in the 6th grade and at the same time,  I know you’re in the 6th grade!

Show me what you are capable of.  If you are satisfied with average work that is fine; but know                                                      “C” is average, “B” is above average and “A” is excellent.