out of the tunnel, into the funnel of homecoming…

so i’m blogging this morning – instead of sunday – in my defense, i finished “colonel roosevelt” by edmund morris – that 971 page book i mentioned this week in class – that i started wednesday – that i was 200 pages into on friday (so, in other words, outside of going to church, cutting grass – all three yards – and watch bama – oh, and running – i didn’t do much else but read this weekend)

the book was awesome – morris, the author – started the series – a trilogy – back in like ’81 – i read the first book – getting teddy roosevelt to the presidency – about 10 years ago – when the second book – about TR’s presidency – came out – the book came out on hardback last year – it’s in paperback now – what i found interesting is that there are very few books about a president’s post-presidency life – outside of carter, most do very little – other than die:)

TR certainly had a hand in our nation’s politics for the 11 years he lived after he left office – including making a successful run at a third term – with just like 90 days – anyway, absorbing read – love reading about gifted indviduals (TR could deliver lectures on science, religion, literature, poltics…)

the other book i read early last week was “swing your sword” by mike leach – former successful texas tech coach – another gifted individual – great thinker – unusual coach (few are lawyers before coaching:)

well, off to teach – need “twilight” twins for wednesday (yes, i’m over to the dark side – complete with striped socks to match…)

mafeld

24 thoughts on “out of the tunnel, into the funnel of homecoming…”

1. Hey Mr. Mayfield sorry for being absent this morning dentist took forever and Mcdonalds added to the time sorry. (Creative)

“Oh no what has happened to the wonderful boy named Colby? Has he been kidnapped why is he absent.” Thats my teacher Mr.Mayfield hes freaking out over colby being absent this morning. I mean hes not even that cool who would stress over a boy like that? I wouldn’t i would be like ” WOOOOO HOOOOOOO, colby’s not here lets have a party” but im not the teacher so we cant do that. Wich is stupid because i would love to have a party everyday that would make gt class worth while. Not that its not anyway.

2. First blog of the week

Mika and Audrey get in a pod fighter simulator right after they get in. They pass the first two levels easily and are on the third level. In this level they had to shoot down shape shifters. They moved whenever they shifted. Eventually they figured out that every time they appeared in the same place. They passed that level. Now level four. In this level the enemy was invisible so it was hard. They found a button that gave them a view where they could see their enemy. They beat the level. They made it to the next round and so did Tom and Kobi. They went to a noodle bar and Kobi gave Audrey a mechanical cat the size of her hand.

Trent

3. Sup Mr. mayfield. Um I am on Treasure Island as Jim showed the squire and Dr. Livesay the map and journal he found in the treasure chest. They open it up and open the journal first. In it is times and places. As they keep reading they find it to be a journal showing all the pillages the group of pirates did and as they kept reading it showed places they were going pillage. They closed it and Dr. Livesay took it. They opened up the map and it had directions to an exact location on an island. It didnt say what was there, but it gave a play by play of a way to go to get to an exact spot. It also gave the directions to the unknown island with some treasure buried their. As soon as the squire sees this he is instantly moved to start a crew and go to this island and claim this treasure. They all agree and Jim was to be sent to his mom to say goodbye as soon as the ship is ready to head to Treasure Island.

4. Colonel Roosevelt. Great person. Im sure he’s had several military awards, but the most covenant award is his Deadliest Warrior WINNER award.

But to a more serious topic, your number five prompt in class today led me to creative write.

9-11 isn’t a day anyone likes to discuss, but, I don’t like one bit how none of the teachers have decided to teach their students about it. Yes we learned about it in other grades, but were older and should be able to get a more in-depth assessment of the whole situation. And sure were just middle schoolers But can they not show some more respect for people who DIED in this tragic attack, and our school just goes on as a regular day of school. No moment of silence, no notification, absolutely nothing.

5. Hey it is my first blog of the week. I am reading Daniel X by James Patterson.
    Comparison
    So this book is like the Series of Unfortunate Events. In both of them there is a wicked man. Well, except in this book there are aliens but still they are both wicked. The kids in both of these books are orphans and you know what’s freaky? They both died in a fire. Well, in this story they were shot but they still got burned into ashes so same thing basically. This kid is by himself without anyone but he is making it just fine. Except for the alien part but other wise, yeah.
    Love this book!!
    Mimi

6. hey mr mayfield i sprained my hand and am hurting from it. anyways i will use my creative writing. i was running then i got hit the coach said do it again so i got up and this time got hit in my wrist and got back up i told coaches and they said wait till the trainers get here and i said ok the trainer arrived and said to do some things to stimulate me wrist. she said that it was spairned my wrist and to keep it wraped up so then i have to go back out and practice with my wrist hurt and it not being able to move so i got introuble for my inability to block it has been a long day

7. First Blog of the week ( looking forward to have 3 journals by thursday or wednesday haha) Well I’m doing creative and i’m thinking of making it into a real story.So here it is. “The Story of my Life”(well of some girls life) Well I’m just a regular 12 year old girl.Notover excited or anything.My name is Chelsea.At home just like everyone else its different.My home is a bad different.Ever since i was 4 my parents were divorced . My mom got together with two or three guys ever since.In that time she was married for a year and was together with him 1 year too.and then got together with this other dude for like 4 years!Now when I live in Sacramento she lives in Davis,California well its not that far but still I never see her and now i havent seen her in like a month now. I’m doing my boring homework( science). My older brother keeps on coming in the room and bothering me. I finally hear footsteps in my room again. I screamed GO! I looked up very sudden and saw that it was Mom.I noticed her walking to where the living room was.So i ran into the lving room too.I closed my eyes and hugged her real tight.I opened them and looked up to kiss her on the cheek and she was gone.I was just imagining things ! I cried real hard after that and so i went to go find my brother he was no where in the house.My life had only gotten worse!
    Chapter 2….

8. Hey its jimmy again and I am freaking out about twin day. (Creative)

Oh Mr. Mafeild that first article was realy nice but sence you blogged I got confused so I blogged on the second post. I am really exited about minecraft it is realy getting better on the crafting ingrediants and all I see is redstone and other really good material whenever someone else plays but when I play well you know :-(/. well theres 5 minutes. Asta Lavista!!

9. I decided to do comparison again so I decided sence I already did one book for a compareison on popular clone I mite as well do another but with a comparison of london calling.
    London calling and popular clone both have a character named fisher, they dont have big brothers , lonfdon callinng is set in london, popular clone is set in the united states, And popular clone has a flying pig while london calling dose not.

There it is and Aloha!!!!!

10. So my second blog (Whop there it is!!) so I am going to do creative.
    Creative
    12 and alone in the terrible detention room. Well, not alone but you get the point. How could he escape? There is no way out for poor Charlie. Plan A- ask for the bathroom pass and make a run for it! Let’s see if this will work. “May I use the restroom?”, said Charlie. “Ok, I will follow you so you don’t decide to scurry off.”, said the evil Mr. Mayfield. So plan A was shot down by the master. So let’s see, Plan B-stay the whole time and give up, what’s it matter to you. Okay scratch that, there is no way that is happening. Think Charlie think, ding ding ding, Idea! Plan C- distract the teacher with a difficult question. While his back is turned…RUN!! “Mr. Mayfield, what exactly is Literature?”, Charlie asks quietly. “Well Charlie…….”, Mr. Mayfield starts with all these words. Now, I dash to the door and you know what? I make it probably about 4 inches out the door and guess who I run into? The principal…
    Who knows what will happens to Charlie?
    Mimi

11. Last blog (Yea) so I am doing Change. 🙂
    Change
    This book started of talking about the death of Daniel’s parents. Him hearing the gun shots and hiding from that hideous monster. Seeing his parents get incinerated and watching his house go down in flames. Slowly, he cried while his house was swarmed with fire. Know he is fifteen and all grown up. Taking the role of Daniel X the alien hunter. Eventually leading up to the alien that killed his parents. Now, ever since the accident, he has powers he uses. Like one day the cops came to his door and he used his powers to make his parents arrive. (Even if it is his own imaginary creation) it was better than nothing.
    Yay, I am done for the week! 🙂
    Mimi

12. Hey Mr. Mayfield. Last time i blogged i finished part 1 of the amazing book Treasure Island. We must now move on to the blogs of Part 2:The Sea Cook. So the last time we heard me, they unwrapped the map and journal of pillages. He was to stay with Dr. Livesay while the squire prepared for there journey to the island. Well of course Dr.Livesay had to go somewhere so he was stuck with the gameskeeper whose name was Redruth. The squire was preparing a crew and boat in the town of Bristol. One day when Dr. Livesay was away a note came from the squire. It basically said this:
    My friend Blandly let me use his boat the Hispaniola. Blandly is very greedy. He found twelve men for a crew and found somebody who was perfect, Long John Silver. He would be there cook. Let Jim go say good bi to his mom and head immediatley to Bristol. There is also a sailing master named Arrow.

13. Second Blog only 1 more! I’m reading Hunger Games everyone says its a really good book.I havent gotten real far though.There is this girl named Katniss and there is this other guy but i don’t really remember his name.It seems to me that they steal food for their each of their families because they are really poor.Weird thing is its like their chore.Just imagine the mother saying Johnny Katniss go steal us some food!Well Kat talks about her friend saying how they first met.ooh it sound like she has a crush! Well the boy talks about running away and asks her to come she gets all blushy(i’m imagining) And she thinks he likes her.But then she remembers about how her family can survive with out her.They would practicly die without her getting the food.

14. I read some more because i had to know what happened.Kat ends up staying with the mayors daughter and tell her about what they do. They call it the hunger games. That’s how they got the title!Then she tells us how it works.It’s kind of confusing to me , but i still have to read more!I’ve also realized she flatters herself way to much!

15. Hey Mr.Mayfield here goes number of this week’s blog link. (Athurs purpose)

I havent done much reading latlely but i did read the first few pages of Hunger Games. Unfortunatley i don’t have the authors name but i will get back to you on that. Anyway, the purpose of this writing was to entertain. I really like the entertainment topic i love writing to entertain. Its just so much easier to mebecause you can express yourself through it. You can show your knowledge through this type of writing. I’m not saying you cant do that through any other writing, Its just i think its easier through this topic.

Sincerley the best student in the world (and you know its ture), Colby

16. Here it goes (change)

One way my booked changed was Earagon changed from a human to an elf. He turned into a dragon rider when he met Saphira but He was suppose to be a elf then, but he had to visit the ancient ritual Anherda Bloodhren i think its called (doesnt metion it in the book im reading) he turned into the elf. Now hes coming back from killing the Razac, Bignasty mean bird guys,.

17. OK So last night was the showcase of bands and it was in Pelham. We left the high school yesterday at 5 and I got home at 10:30. I’m sorry..
    But I havent had the time this week to blog at all. When I got home last night, I had a shower then did a ton of math homework. I was exhausted and I didn’t end up going to sleep until midnight.

I was like a zombie today. Sadly, They are having the football game tomorrow in Talladega..

It’s awful. And I’ll be tired on Friday too. This has been the weirdest week ever.
    I’m going to blog for 15 minutes to go ahead and knock that out of the ballpark. And once again I apologize for not blogging sooner.

Ok, So right now I am reading Inkheart. I just started it yesterday and it’s really good. I didn’t know how I was going to feel about it. But its a pretty amazing book I think. I read The Thief Lord that was written by the same author as Inkheart so I hoped it would be really good.
    The main Character in this story is Meggie and her dad’s name is Mo. She never calls him Dad though. He’s always referred to as Mo.

So Meggie and her dad live together all by themselves and they love to read books. Everywhere thing they do is basicallly read.
    They have books scattered all over the house and thats what they spend their time doing.

One day Meggie was reading and looking out the window and she saw a man standing outside their window.
    It would’ve have really freaked me out.
    So Mo got up answered the door saw who it was and told Meggie to go to bed.
    Meggie wanted to snoop. So she went to her room shut the door and listened the the stranger and Mo talk to each other.
    The stranger’s name was Dustfinger.
    Meggie was freaked out by the stranger and they were talking about someone named Capricorn who they were both obviously scared of.
    So Dustfinger told Mo that he would be back in the morning. Then he left. Mo walked into Meggie’s room and she pretended to be asleep. But Mo knew she wasn’t really asleep.
    In the morning Mo told Meggie that they needed to go. So they packed up their things and left.
    Meggie had no idea where they were going.

Ok, I’m done.
    So that’s all.
    -Julie

18. It seems that today is the last blogfor the week. I left off on Treasure Island and I want to do some creative writing on the letter that the squire sent to Jim and Redruth:
    Dear Jim or Dr.Livesay,
    It seems that i have found a boat and a whole crew. I am a very greedy person so I left without you guys. I don’t like any of you and I plan to become a world famous treasure hunter without you. So I might even join with some pirates and wreak havoc on the sea. So if you ever see me I will have my hair grown out and I will go by the name of Black Cat. So, I am very sorry that I am such a jerk, but you just have to learn to take denial. I might see you some time when I steal your boat or something. Oh, but send Jim home with his stuff because I am tired of some little peasent living in my house. Make sure he eats before he goes to, and please remember to give him water. We don’t want him to end up like the last kid if you know what I mean.
    P.S- I might give you guys a little but of gold if I ever see you again. After all you guys did give me the map to the island, and started this whole thing.

19. Well i am here again ready for tomarow.
    [Point of veiw shift- Halo the fall of reach]

“Well whats this, more gaurd patrolling today hmm…” I drove past the gaurds to find that there were enemies potrolling the base as if it were a war or interigation going on in the base. “Ahhhhhhhhh….. help they have killed him!” A unit-in-traning (or U.I.T as there adressed) screemed out.
    ” Killed Who ” I tried to tell him but all he would do is say “DRIVE” once he got in the warthog. I drove all the way to one of the bunkers in the forest that was only for captains and special ops. Once we got in there he finally calmed down and told me who was killed. “Sergant jonson was killed by the enemy brutes and his body was taken and was burned. They, they, said something else.” “What?” I said. “He betraded them as a leader, Those are the exact words and thats when the smashed his soul out.” The U.I.T said.
    “Well, sleep and tomarrow we will fight our way to victory.

Well theres my story thank and I hope you enjoyed it Mr. Mayfeild. 🙂

20. hey mr mayfield hows the internet holding up now hope its better anyways i will blog for five minutes on the authors purpose on the book running from the falconers. the author said we need to steal those bikes because they wanted to get away faster. i think he said that because you cant fall to temptation so dont think about it thats it for today

21. ok, im feeling Give Me Novocaine by Green Day (deep song for long day) lets blog on Omega Theory (still) author’s purpose is to entertain, and left off with Rav Kavner assuming the worst of Olam ben Z’man. David admits that he doesn’t have reason to believe he is dead, Rav is elated, they talk a little longer about Olam (he’s a student at the yeshiva, he disappeared last Tuesday, he was a scientist at Hebrew University before he devoted his life to religion, his real name is Loebman or Loehmann) and then they talk about Kabbalah, a medieval Jewish philosophy about an infinite eternal God could create a finite, mortal. Ein Sof is jewish for Without End, referring to God, the Sephirot is God’s ten manifestations he used for creating Earth, and they are arranged in a pattern called Etz HaChayim, The Tree of Life, it has three pillars and twenty two paths, which corresponds to the twenty two letters in the Hebrew alphabet. Anyways, Olam/Loebman had a scientist buddy in Maryland, at, oddly enough, JACOB STEELE’S university. Olam kept repeating the word meyda (information. Yes, media is information in hebrew.) and the phrase ‘the universe is information’. whenever Rav asked him about it, he described the It from Bit theory (atoms are bytes of data) in great detail. Rav would say that the universe is God, and olam would say that God is information, because everything is made of information. Olam said that Sephirot was actually a set of computer programs, and that you could create another universe from computer programs. Many computers were not powerful enough to support these, because at least a 10 ION QUANTUM COMPUTER could barely run the program, and you do NOT want a slow universe creator program. that’s all for now, see ya tomorrow!

(BTW, October 4th. Percy is back. Epic.)

22. Hey stoped Brisingr for a while on to Fire Star. (Point Of View Shift)

In the first chapter its talking from the view of a polar bear. I kno9w this because the setting is the artic and the only bears that can survive up there are the polar. Anyway, He was running from some human poachers trying to kill him for his pelt. But he was saved by a Magic Shaman Tribve lady. She was saving him because she wants him to steal a Rare Airtifact from an aicent ansestor of the Bear. But after all that is over it swaps to a Dragon owner.

Thats all.

Thats all

23. I have been reading the book, taken. its about a girl who is kidnapped by a group of hispanic paramedics. She flashes back many times to happy times. she even had classes back in her school about kidnapping because there were so many. she lived in the safest neighborhood in the usa and still got napped as she would call it.

Dear taken girl(your name is never mentioned),
    As always i put myself in your position and talk. If i were you i wouldnt care if i got shot leaving the ambulance. You knw that they probably wont do anything because if they do the deal will be off and they dont get money. also, how many people can an ambulance hold five or six. there’s not that many so i would atleast make a break for it. if they shoot you, they shoot you. theyre not going to make you suffer so it will either be a one shot one kill or they just dont shoot at all. boo yah. i may have just saved the day for you. but theres still a whole lot of reading to be done so i will soon find out if you follow my advice.

i think that the reasoning of this book was to tell the reader to always be prepared. dont go into anyones car if you dont know them. if an ambulance comes make sure that your mom, dad, or guardian goes with you. make sure to check the ambulance’s personel license. remember to alwyas be prepared and never ever go into an ambulance. tell the driver that you want to ride with your parent. also, if an ambulance comes to your house for no reason and says that they got a phone call that the girl is sick, this is for you parents, dont let em go.

i think that this book compares pretty well to the movie taken. who knows if they made the book or movie about one or the other. they both have basically the same plot. plot is the things that happen in a story. i saw the movie and the girl is kidnapped at the beginning. its the same for the book. but the story in the movie is told from the dad and the book is told from the girl. in the book the girls dad is hardly ever home but in movie the dad takes action and saves the girl. the thing the story is about is being kidnapped and they both have that in common.

24. hey i fineshed the red pyramid and i have paused the throne of fire. i am currently reading all in by gene chizik.

mon- gene starts the book of with his interview for a head coaching job at Iowa. he throws away all the notes he had prepared an thinks about what he really wanted to do with the progam. then he goes in and the interview starts.

tues-he talks to the athletic director about everything he wants to change. he says he wanted to tear down the Iowa football program and start all over. he talks about getting new uniforms and redoing the stadium

weds- he walks out of the stadium and calls his wife. he tells her that he thinks he got the job. after a couple of days he gets a call from iowa and finds out he got the job. he hires a bunch of his old coaching friends that he relied on and meets with the team. he lays down his expectation and imediately starts recuiting.

thurs- before he starts recruting he tells the athletic director that he is mainly going to try to recruit high school kids from Iowa schools.at the end he only ends up with like five. he got a couple from texas and some from florida.