quick poll – if you could have any pie at thanksgiving, you would have…

nice, pretty day to be indoors nanowrimo-ing…

“noggin” – high school BOB – the author wanted to explore what happens when it feels like we are out of sync with others – so he tells the hilarious story of a boy who has his head removed – frozen – and then re-attached when science catches up – it’s really awful – and part that all high school guys preying on Christian girls are gay was tough reading…

“we were liars” – high school BOB – i can’t believe i’ve recommended this book – although, i do think some of my students will “enjoy” it – it did read fast though – so that was nice – the twist at the end was worth reading – but it’s certainly not “stop everything and find this book – and read it!!!” material:)

mike matheny – book about the cardinals’ manager way of thinking for young kids of the game (baseball) – really a great book – some great classic lines in there from other great coaches – one is that champions don’t lose – they just run out of time in some games – that one i really like b/c i definitely played games – athletic and academic – when my heart wasn’t always in it – i think the older you get the more you do fight all the way through

“we should hang out some time” – non-fiction – unusual for YA – author tracks down why he made it to 25 and never had a girlfriend – of course, part of the early part of the book was me – very much a book i could’ve written – there was an eventual veer and it very much wasn’t the book i could’ve written at all – which made it sadder for me in that light – anyway, seemingly set up as a “what went wrong” examination, of course, the author figured out it was him – oh, and that all these girls had really been into him – and his religious parents were jerks for holding him back – okay, now i’m into a rant…

tough week of reading – i have baylor coach’s book on order though – and neil patrick harris’s book – so life will get better – plus, there’s my whole book – which is awesome:)

maf

23 thoughts on “quick poll – if you could have any pie at thanksgiving, you would have…”

1. First time that I’m not the last person to know that Mr. Mayfield posted again so YAY!!

2. chocolate sounds so uninteresting

my mother made an awesome pecan pie growing up – amazingly, i grew fat without ever eating it – then, about the time i discovered the joy of pecans, syrup, and sugar, i gave all that up – and thus never ate her award-winning pie that she still makes for other members of the family that can eat such – sniff…

3. How about green bean casserole? Or sweet potato casserole? I’ve been making casseroles with mom today. We just bought our turkey this morning, and it is frozen solid.

4. thanksgiving at grandmother’s growing up involved green bean casserole – and congealed salad – and other assorted things i typically tried to avoid – there used to be a hardee’s across from the pig – mom got me burgers and fries several years before we went to POG’s house – i was in heaven:)

our kid’s pastor at church kept asking people turkey or ham – and i just don’t know people who would eat ham on thanksgiving

5. Ham at Thanksgiving is just…wrong. To me, the best food at Thanksgiving is the deviled eggs. My aunt’s eggs are amazing.

6. them’s fightin’ words, bunny killer – you writin’ checks with your mouth your slayin’ ways can’t back up – i suggest you best eat your broccoli, straight, and smile…

in other news, if you had a bunch of bunnies to kill in a story, how would you do it???

7. I love steamed broccoli I can only eat broccoli straight up with ranch dressing! I hate pecans though Olivia is making a pecan pie and a chocoate pie I’ll be making a delicious stovetop Mac-n-cheese!!

8. Mom said no vanderbilt shirts friday, only alabama ones. Then I bring up the fact that we are playing tenessee, and she still says Alabama. If only I lived in tennessee… Bye Mayfield 😉

9. If I had to kill the bunnies, I would “accidentally” set fire to the rabbit hutch. That seems fun. Or I would smack them with hammers.

10. vic, i’m with you on the cheese – yummy:)

billy – i’m torn – on one hand, vandy has been nothing short of abysmal this year – like setting the program back a billion years awful – so i’d say hide well in bama gear and be done with it – that said, optimism is nice to see in youth – and i hate tennessee more that auburn – so i’d be fine with vandy – i draw the line at titans wear this year though – i actually have a jersey if you’ll remind me – you can have it – if you promise to wear it some year that they’re good (sorry that it’s not steelers)

11. okay, a special thanksgiving greeting to all – here’s what i worked on this morning – i’m hopeful someone can laugh from it – and that the story teases at more fun to come

happy turkey day – long live turkey!!! maf

“Okay, so the song set of ‘Life is a Highway,’ ‘Walk This Way,’ and ‘Step by Step’ were brought to you by the good folks of Detective Rachael Industries that remind you your fifth case is free, probably because we’ll be so tired of you by then that we’ll commit the crime…”

Detective had been like this since the start of the trip: Official Emcee of The Road to Jamiot.

“I know, we should play a game! Last year, I posed as a reeve, a local town burgher…”

“Hee, hee, you said burger.”

“I said burgher, Kate. With an ‘H’.”

“Is this a school lesson? Because I declared pro superhero yesterday before we left so I don’t want my first day after school to be about school. Besides, aren’t road trips supposed to be times for the mentor to train the young person so that everyone kicks bunny backside the next goround?”
    Binder Girl, Detective, Morgan Elizabeth, Agent Blue Hood, and Tragedy Bear – well, he was JoJo right now – all shared the “Who wants to be the Mentor?” look. No one volunteered. Detective went on…

“So I think we should play a game where we all tell stories on the way there and the way back, and the winner of the story contest can buy everyone waffles when we get back.”

“That sounds like fun,” Morgan Elizabeth said. “I’ll go first. Once upon a time, there was a beautiful princess who had a very evil brother. Every week, the princess would go out and win beauty pageants because of her awesomeness, but her brother would always take her winnings and waste them on fantasy princess leagues. You see, her brother had never amounted to much in life, he was a lowly butler, so it was up to her to save the good family name, well, save it until she married a fabulous prince and lived happily ever after. The End.”

“I’ll go next,” Agent Blue Hood said. “Once upon a time, Little Blue Hood went to visit her grandmother with a basket of goodies.
    To get to grandmother’s house, she had to pass through a very evil forest and that was when she met…”

“Tragedy Bear!!!” Kate interrupted.

“…No, she met a forest ranger who told her to beware of…”

“Bears who grab picnic baskets from little girls,” Kate interrupted.

“No, of forest fires because it hadn’t rained in a long while because…”

“Of the evil curse the grandmother had placed on the forest because the forest ranger didn’t check up on granny enough.”

Agent Blue Hood could see that Kate was ready to share her own story.

“Kate, would you like to tell a story?”

“Okay, once upon a time, there were twins, Kate and Not-a-Kate. Kate, the best twin, was the chosen one of her generation to slay bunnies. Not-a-Kate? Not so much. Anyway, one day Kate caught Not-a-Kate going through her stuff so she chopped Not-a-Kate up into tiny bits and baked him into the lasagna her family was to have that evening.”

“Well, I guess that solves the case of the missing twin,” Detective muttered while everyone else was losing lunch – very quickly.