“live from the library, it’s monday morning!!!”

so the internet mice chewed out wires way back on friday – so i have dropped off the web for the time being

i’m so lost as a result… 🙂

it was good to hear from the bunny killer – everyone else, meh…

“long shot” – by piazza – 63rd round pick made it to the big leagues – and will more than likely be a HOFer some day (hall of fame for everyone NOT billy) – it was a whiny book though – lots of “everyone misunderstood how awesome i am” type stuff – giving the guy credit, he was sensitive – and most athletes don’t do that in a biography – but that said, he was really sensitive

“boston” – by higdon – book on the marathon in 1996 – good – some old stories – fit well with the demar book from the week before

“boston by the mile” – this one was the awesome book of the week – like great trivia – the second city we run through, ashland, was named after kentucky’s trees – there are no ash trees in Massachusetts – so that was a cool fact i hope to remember early in next year’s race

“natural born heroes” – another good one – the guy that wrote “born to run” has one that incorporates a crazy WWII plot to kidnap a german general with greek gods and goddesses – i was fired up to refind my edith hamilton’s mythology book afterward

sorry again about this being so late – i understand if billy is too swamped with VBS to respond – everyone else, great first week:)

mafeld

36 thoughts on ““live from the library, it’s monday morning!!!””

1. Two elijah stories down. Good thing that the kids didn’t pick up the suicidal thoughts I read… Tomorrow I get to be an army leader! That monent when you realize your first 3 groups had 25, 25, and 40 kids. But then u still have 2 smaller groups left…

2. Santiago needs a Snickers bar. He can win an arm wrestling contest, but can’t pull in the marlin. The book isn’t bad… It mentions MLB.

3. The classics section at the columbiana library wasn’t where i thought it was. It took about 8 minutes to find 1984 and Animal Farm

4. Just finished The Old Man and The Sea… I liked it, believe me or not, I liked it. Still wasn’t near as good as 80 Days though, the showdown in America was amazing in that book.

5. I’ve been horrible about Summer Reading. So far, I haven’t gotten anyof the books but Hobbit, which I started rereading today.

6. okay, catching up

detective – you’ll never catch up:) honestly, i used to reread the books every year – i gave up a few years ago – i decided i was happier not knowing every detail of every book – like grimm legacy, i’ve probably only read once – which is still more than 90 percent of sixth grade – anyway, i was a lot happier reading what i wanted – and lots of it

billy – any book with baseball references is a great book:) that, and hemingway is at least direct and gets to the point – unlike a lot of obscure reading you’ll get – that faryn will get – next year – where you read it and think it’s one thing – and it’s completely not – i do love the america part of 80 days – oh, and casablanca is an awesome movie with classic lines you should watch for scholar’s bowl homework – oh again:) did you have the elijah story where he outruns the chariot??? people don’t always know it, but there are a lot of good running stories in the bible

victoria – sympathy – as always:)

7. STORY TIME!!!

“Hey, wait a minute, isn’t that another blue hood in the woods?”
    “I can’t see that far,” Mayfield confessed before Kate threw a knife at the hood. Mayfield ran towards the throw, figuring he’d have the “ask questions before throwing” speech with Kate later.
    “Detective?” Mayfield said once he saw Detective pulling the knife out of the tree.
    “Seems like Kate’s a little more aggressive now,” Detective said as she was finally able to get the knife out.
    “I think it’s because her brother’s here – to win a princess pageant – with Agent Blue Hood,” Mayfield said.
    “Do you know anything about Tragedy Bear eating binders?”

8. Nope no more Elijah stories.

Day 1: Elijah and the Ravens
    Day 2: Elijah went to Mt. Saini, but not the altar challenge with Baal 🙁
    Day 3: Naaman bathing 7 times in the Jordan River. Army Drills!!!
    Day 4: Peter betrays Jesus 3 times/ The Crucifixion.
    Tommorow: Something in Revelation I think.

I was Peter and I scared the 4th and 5th graders so bad…

My pick: LSU beats USC in Men’s golf. If they can beat the SEC, they won’t lose.

9. So, at the library, I was looking for the Sherlock Holmes books, and I found instead a translation of Chaucer’s “The Canterbury Tales”. I’m currently reading that, and holding off on Summer Reading for a bit. (Even though I have some of the books and I could start reading then.)

10. master vic – totally, you’ll totally get them next week – hey, maybe i’ll even be more on time – and maybe lloyd will be first…

detective – yep, you should probably wait – i hear the 8th grade quizzes are really tough – mayfield gets really mean at the start of 8th grade – then, he cries on the last day – it’s really weird…

11. UM…I will be first…I WILL. Midnight, yeah,that’s what happens when people fall asleep..

12. I usually just sleep until noon and stay up until 3 in the morning…

13. vic – the master, great and wonderful – 32 would be good – eight weeks’ worth – you and detective will be special b/c no one asked about it – and i forgot to tell sixth/seventh grade

14. wow, i’ve never received thanks for assigning 32 journals:)

that said, since this is the feedback part of the program – it wouldn’t apply to the kids that did summer journals, but what if i killed journals and just assigned one “tough” book per nine weeks??? the top kids would appreciate the challenge – the bottom kids wouldn’t read it – just like they currently aren’t reading – and the middle ones are the ones i would hope would benefit

15. i can only hope billy, that you were the dragon on the last day – in revelation – b/c if peter scares them… 🙂

someone PLEEEZ entertain poor lil bri

16. I don’t know how to entertain Bri. I gave up on doing that a LONG time ago. I like the “tough book” idea.

17. how do you entertain a lil bri???

idea no. 1 – give her book 1 of “warrior kittens” – the prequel to the series she loves – contract a deal with the author to write 41 books – all pointless – but enough to keep her in stitches – or hairballs…

18. back for another year… cole the butler!!!

“Aren’t pageants and the Princess League for girls?”
    “Now that’s a great question,” Cole began, “For all those that didn’t hear, I was asked if pageants and the Princess League aren’t just for girls? Yes, as one of your elders and rulers, and temporary league commissioner for the day, I must confess that for years, I closed my mind to the possibility that a boy could ever measure up to a girl in matters of princess-ness.”
    “Yes, for years, my heart had been closed – and dark. Then, suddenly, I saw the light, and the light was a tiara!!!”

19. how do you entertain lil bri???

idea no. 2 – set her up on a blind date with waspman – their shared love of warriors books will make them BFFs!!!

20. sounds like your next eight hours before bedtime are boring:)

i now have rockin’ orange cross country shoes to wow the marching band with this fall

how to entertain master vic: let her do whatever she wants:)

21. Hello from Maine! It was a long trip even by plane, but mini-golf is close by so that’s good. Finished Animal Farm and could see the connections to the USSR. I wish I had studied the history first…

22. But that’s the problem, Mr. Mayfield. I have nothing to do! No kingdoms to rule, no empires to destroy! No body challenges me!

23. billy, i still don’t get all the connections with animal farm – it can be like reading CS Lewis sometimes

wow, maine is a long way – please tell me the mornings are great weather-wise