writing prompt of the week

So this one’s always fun…

Write an alternate story from the titles of BOB – you don’t have to know anything about the book – the title is your prompt to write something bizarre.

Choose from the list below:

The Testing

Variant

I Kill the Mockingbird

Brown Girl Dreaming

Prisoner of Night and Fog

The Family Romanov

19 thoughts on “writing prompt of the week”

1. Brown Girl Dreaming
    by Mayfield

Hi, I’m Buffy. Buffy Brown.

At night, I’ve been having these crazy dreams. There are these vampires out there, and they come at me, and I just instinctively go wiggy on them, pulling out some wooden stick and stabbing them through the heart.

Then, poof, they disappear – and poof, I wake up.

Crazy, right? Well, what if I told you there was this other girl in my dream with a real high-pitched voice. She calls herself Kate. She says she’s the Bunny Slayer. She invites me to take on the greatest evil ever known to mankind.

Bunnies.

And here I thought the greatest evil had something to do with Donald Trump.

I’ve never met this Kate person in real life, I don’t think, but in my dreams, she seems very real, much more real than her brother she calls “Tone!”

Her brother is supposedly her twin, but one glance at him and you can see the two are nothing alike. I’m always worried in the dream I’ll say something and then Kate will be, “he’s adopted, duh, so you’re not supposed to question people’s birth ties if they’re adopted – how cruel and insensitive.”

The Tone! dreams are disturbing. Honestly, I’d really like to go back to vampires and just be done with it.

2. Ten

“Alright,” said Elmo, “Count with me… 1… 2… 3… 4… 5… 6… 7… 8… 9… 10! Good Job!”

“Elmo,” I said, “Ten is supposed to be like the bachelor party, except people die…”

“A perfect reason to count backwards! Everytime you count down, that number dies…”

3. billy, you’re spoiling my chance to use HS BOB on another week that i need something:)

always, always, always good to hear from you

i register for boston on wednesday

4. Yeah Billy spoiled Ten for me 🙁

I kill the mockingbird- Harper Lee reincarnates Tom Robinson as a ghoul who haunts Maycomb and ravages the Ewell family > : )

5. tyler wrote in – this is pretty much just the best week ever

i did like the original IKTMB – but tyler’s sounds much more vampire-ish – and awesome

6. The Testing
    by Mayfield

“In this world you will have troubles. But take heart, for I have overcome the world.”

It was the third round of Scholar’s Bowl. Thanks to some contaminated milk that had been mysteriously delivered to the OMMS team, the Eagles were off their game enough that their score against the Wildcats of CMS was tied.

“Do you know how bad a tie is?” the OMMS Coach said. “It’s like kissing your sister.”

There were blank stares. This was Scholar’s Bowl. No one was getting much kissing action.

“Okay, toss up one,” the moderator begin as the third round began. “What…”

“BUZZ!!!”

“Yes, Red One.”

“Cuban Missile Crisis.”

“Yes, for Oak Mountain. Question two, math computation.”

“BUZZ!”

“Yes, Yellow Three?”

“Oh, sorry,” MoLiz said, “I was throwing my buzzer down in frustration because I hate math.”

“I’m sorry, you have to answer since you buzzed in.”

“Okay, well, let’s go with how many points my brother lost in his fantasy league this week. Two hundred seventy nine.”

“I’ve been prompted to ask for the units.”

“How about Kilojoules?”

“Point for Columbiana.”

The OMMS Coach fumed. He made a mental note to protest if his team lost – both for the anti-discriminatory remarks made against math and for the CMS player’s affiliation with fantasy football.

“Question three. What…”

“BUZZ!!!”

“Yes, Yellow 1.”

“It’s Detective,” Detective said. She insisted on being referred to by her name during a round.”

“You have to take that as her answer!!!” the OMMS Coach said.

“I will. Besides, it was correct. It was about Sherlock Holmes. Question Four: What beloved Peanuts character always stole the ball from Charlie Brown when he would rush to kick the football?”

There was silence. OMMS’s team was confused as to what peanuts had to do with football. For that matter, when they heard the word football, they froze because none of them knew anything beyond the list they had memorized of teams in the NFL.

“BUZZ!”

“Yes, Yellow 4.”

“It’s Lucy.”

“That’s correct.”

“Not fair, she used her binder!!!” the OMMS Coach said.

“I’m a superhero. I can do that,” Binder Girl said.

“Question Five: Penguin’s hidden talent…”

“BUZZ!!!”

“Yes, Red Two?”

“The rabbit was robbed because he made a unicorn appear out of thin air while that stupid bear just juggled appliances.”

“You’re exactly correct. Question six…”

“ROAR!!!”

Just then, CMS Special Weapon, Tragedy Bear, roared in and ate the OMMS team.

“Burp!”

CMS missed the last five questions, but it didn’t matter. They had passed The Testing and were the champions.

*NOTE: No Tragedy Bears were fed in the actual events of this story.

7. Variant
    by Mayfield

Shelby County football is off to another updefeated start, but who cares when there’s Scholar’s Bowl training camp talk?

Lost amidst the football team’s blowout victories, and fabulous halftime shows by the band, focus has descended upon the academic hallways as everyone anticipates the upcoming Fantasy Scholar Draft, the kickoff to season.

Last week, The Smoking Gun.com was reporting that Cole reported to camp overweight and sluggish. There was plenty of talk on the radio that Cole was suddenly fat and happy with his new contract and saw no need to improve.

Photographers had a field day with the size of Daniel’s head. Once again, he’s suspected of performance-enhancing drugs – drugs that tend to enlarge the head as a visual giveaway.

“I’m just naturally big-headed,” a defensive Daniel said after the first practice, “How about those Rangers?” he said when the questions persisted.

In almost the opposite case, Twitter exploded, cleaned up and exploded again when speculation swirled that Jim had shrunk three sizes too small. The rumors were put to bed once it was discovered Jim’s younger brother had been around camp trying to get attention.

Speaking of attention, Ladies man Landon had young men everywhere sporting a beard – or trying to.

“I’m honestly flattered,” Landon said when asked about the man-love towards his beard, “Obviously, they can never be as smart as I am, but they can all be just as whiskered – well, some of them can be whiskered – the rest need to stay away from Asian hair imports.”

Bad Boy Billy has already broken three camp curfews. His Instagram account was taken down when he was shown partying over the weekend with Hoover and Oak Mountain Scholars.

“I truly regret my actions from the weekend,” Billy said in a prepared statement yesterday. “I’m just a rookie trying to make this great team and I drew attention away from them and put it on myself through my selfish actions. I will make every effort to be a team player.”

Billy then paradoxically demanded more touches from the starters, complaining that his lack of playing time in camp is hurting his fantasy stock value.

The team’s first scrimmage, open to the public, will be held shortly after the high school wins the state 5A championship in – what was that sport??? Oh, yes, football…

8. The Testing

When I wake up one day and realize that it’s 8:30 a.m. on a Monday morning. Then I realize I am really late. So I hop out of bed and race to the bathroom to get dressed. I take a quick shower and get conditioner in my eyes, then I put my jeans on backwards, and the worst thing I did was try to eat my textbooks and put my cereal in my backpack.

When I arrive at school I rush into the office and sign in. Of course as I was walking into the office Mrs.Sasha tells me,”kid, your late!! Also your leaking! Is that milk coming out?? Kid, you have problems!”

I didn’t know what she was talking about. When I walk in the kind lady at the front says,” We’re in 2nd period.”

Oh no I thought. 2nd period was Mr.Ma-field’s class. All we did in there was learn. In all my other classes we just had to look at the teacher and pretend that we were listening. Unlike my friend, Gracie who actually liked to learn was a dork.

Anyway as I walked in Mr.Ma-field looked at me like a clown. So I slipped in to my seat behind my five year old friend Paisley. As I was walking everyone started to laugh.

“Hahaha! Lucy’s leaking,” Rylee said as she laughed as a bully!
    “Yeah she’s leaking milk out of the back of her,” yelled the annoying boy who thinks he’s a ladies man, Avery!
    “Shut up Avery,” I yelled back!

“Today we will be taking ‘the test’,” Mr.Ma-Day,” It is combined with a lot of skill and intelligence. Some people didn’t make it out alive!! So will you? Anyway take out a pencil and a piece of paper.”

Ten slow minutes later…….. everyone finally got a piece of paper.
    ” Okay now flip to page 315 in your book. Write your name at the top. We will have fifteen minutes of “the testing” now,” Mr.Ma-Field told us politely.

Oh no I thought. The quiz was about the four sentences. What were the words again? Ah man I thought! I should have listened. The words were like- deceleration, intervention, imperfection, and um… what was the other word??? Oh yeah…. the word was
    “Exampleee,” I yelled!
    Shhhhhhhh
    Do you think I will pass or not?

9. sorry i haven’t been keeping up.

homeschooling can be VERY busy sometimes… (who knew?)

for now, my mom’s car has become a mobile classroom on tuesday afternoons (for brandon’s robotics team) wednesdays, and thursdays because i have classes at my cover school, like physical science, western civilization/english, and algebra 1 on both days. then, on fridays, i have art class.

but i still kinda miss being around other kids my age. being in a classroom with just your two, younger (and slightly senile) brothers drives you up the wall on some days.

i’ve been reading lots of books lately, becuase on wednesdays i have classes at my cover school, which happens to be right around the corner (literally) to the Albert L. Scott library in Alabaster. since i have a shelby county libraries card, and this library happens to be in the shelby county libraries system, i can check out books there.

brandon’s in love with two books currently: a book about oragami, and a book called “what if?” by Randall Munroe (this is actually a really good book. i recommend it very much.)

while my english teacher has me reading Beowulf and short stories like ‘Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves, i have been reading recreationally about fiction books telling about the end of the world (i find myself finishing these chapter books in two days).

my mom has even taken the opportunity to grab a book, in which she just finished called “The Boy on the Wooden Box” about Oscar Schindler (i’m not sure how you spell his name) and his list during the Holocaust.

here’s a short creative:

“Fall”
    by Blue

Leaf-fall,
    The trees don their bare arms
    And bright, warm colors
    And send the beautiful presence of crisp air into the skies.

~

well, i have to go. my mom wants me to work on my english assignments. oh, yeah – i almost forgot! i got my own email, so i won’t be using my mom’s anymore.

blue hood, out! 🙂

10. le blue,
    i’m downtown today – was downtown yesterday – a million things i need to do – but i meant to write and say that your cover and your work was missed this week – truly

sincerely,
    mayfield

11. The Testing

The night of the testing riley lay her bed not knowing what was about to happen next …..
    3:04 in the morning riley heard noises outside of her house, she just asummed it was there dog Evana jumping up on the door hoping to come in. but soon after that the door was kicked in! she heard heavy foot steps up stairs where her brothers room was. then like a flash she hit the floor only to see a few seconds of light before everything went black.

12. Riley suddenly woke up hoping Last night was only a dream only to find cold Icey hands draging her along a hallway. She could not see anything, not even her neon orange socks, that now look liked someone had smeared mud on them and let them dry out in the blazing heat of the sun. It had just occered to her why she had been taken, where was her family and how to get out.

13. The Family Romanov

“Hi!!! My name is well, I don’t know what my name is. JK! My name is Jill Kin Romaov,” I told my class,” Also, people get mixed up with roman like roman noodles but clearly you can not eat me. Do I look like pork beef?”
    Everyone laughed.
    Then I continued,” You might already know my sister and brother from this morning. Um…… Oh there names are Gracie and Ty. I don’t know where they got the name Ty because you can’t where him as a Ty unless you skinned him. Anyway I’m going to tell you about my family. So as you have heard I have some cows, a mom, a dog, a hog, a dad, and a pig. I also who has a grandma. She told us lots of stories. Some stoies she told us were about the time when her foot got ran over a train or when she had to stick her hand up in cow poo to grab her grandmothers old ring. I also had an uncle who on the bus they would stab each other with pencils on the bus. Anyway that’s about me.”
    Everyone clapped a whole lot.
    The End

14. Riley started flaling her arms kicking and screaming the word help over and over again hoping someone would come. But no one came. She manged to escape the figure’s grasps. The lighting in the room was very dim so she she started running in the direction she was hoping would lead to her family. She hoped it wasn’t to late.