4 thoughts on “writing prompt of the week…”

1. Halloween is completely over-commercialized. I get that, I know.

The saddest thing is that we’re the last generation of candy.

Most people think candy grows on trees. Back in the olden times, they added the giving of candy to the celebration of Halloween – probably out of ignorance that there was only a finite amount of candy in the known universe.

Starting in the 20th century, scientists began to predict the year we’d run out of candy. At first, everyone figured they could just cut back “a little” and things would be just fine.

Of course, that didn’t work. There were shortages and long lines for candy in the 1970s. President Carter even delivered a special speech, calling for everyone to have a “merry little Halloween” and eat just one piece of candy.

Such limits were bound to backfire, and Carter lost his re-election to Ronald Reagan in part because Reagan asked the now-famous question: “Do you have more candy in your bag than you did four years ago?”

Reagan’s “Morning in America and I’m having candy!!!” campaign was sheer brilliance, but it came with a price. The question over what to do about candy was kicked down the road, and it reared an ugly head with the outbreak of Y2K.

Y2K nowadays is almost completely ignored in the textbooks; however, it was that even that brought the candy crisis back to home. Americans realized they were going to have to cut back – but at that point, it was already too late.

California was the first to join the rest of the world in candy restrictions, limiting children to one candy item per household. Las Vegas suffered hard, particularly when the city was busted for intercepting Snicker trucks headed to California and commandeering their candy stash.

Hope seemed lost for a continued sugar high, but necessity is the mother of invention and the United States became a virtual Candyland again when the process of cracking in the Midwest opened up candy reserves from the depths unseen since Jules Verne’s Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Recently up to their elbows in candy, Shell, the owner of Reece’s Pieces, declared it was pulling out of the Arctic Circle for Everlasting Klondike Bar exploration, deciding, at least for now, that some things are better left naturally preserved. However, it surely is only matter of time before the river of sugar runs dry from cracking and another Halloween is endangered.

2. Halloween. It’s so stupid. People are stupid to like it. Candy is stupid to like it.

Me? I hate it. Halloween has no warm spot in the husk of this veggie stick.

Sure, you can call me bitter, but you’re a hater who’s gonna hate. I know I’m right.

Every year, we split up for homes.

“Hey, you guys can have the veggie sticks.”

“Nah, man. We got the veggie sticks last time.”

“Well, our group doesn’t want them.”

“We don’t either. They’re worthless.”

Hello? Right in front of you as you have this disparaging conversation…

Candy can be so stuck up. Snickers are the worst. They think they’re all that and a bag of chips. They’re just full of air.

Here’s a fun fact: eat veggie sticks as your Halloween candy and you’ll live longer. You’ll see more Halloweens. You can fit into your sexy sea horse costume and won’t have to go as NFL Couch Potato as many times.

Back when people ate dirt and died of terrible diseases from lots of things – mostly food that wasn’t cooked right – veggie sticks were considered the elite candy. The best of the best. Where’s that spirit today?

Just chew on this for a minute: Veggie sticks will keep you regular, keeping you from having embarrassing Trick or Treat potty moments.

So there – love us or hate us, but if you hate, I’ll take my stick and beat you.

Veggie sticks rock!!!

3. Why is Halloween such a big deal to everybody? I mean come on what’s so special about dressing up and eating us? Oh I forgot to mention I’m King Lollipop the ruler of all candy and sweets. My people are becoming extinct and there seems to be no way to stop humans from eating us. I’ve already tried sugar armies but all that seems to do is make them want more.
    Here comes General Licorice and General Cocoa now to discus how to get out of this situation. “Your highness we have come with with three possible ways to get out of this sticky situation,”explained General Licorice,”Option one hide.” “Gentleman do I have to spell everything out for you…WE’RE IN WRAPPERS THAT WOULD MAKE US EAISER TO FIND,”I exclaimed. That’s when General Cocoa chimed in,”Option two knock off the ingredients to make us into the floor.” “There’s a problem with that one too they can buy more ingredients. And even if we do knock the ingredients in the floor there would still be some type of candy that could be made,” I explained once again. “Last option is we wrip our wrappers no one is going to eat something with an open wrapper,”exclaimed General Licorice.”Do you really think you can get all the wrappers wriped by before the end of the day tomorrow when they take the first shipments of us away to be eaten,”I questioned. “Absolutely,” the Generals exclaimed and walked out the door. The next day everyone’s wrappers except mine had be wriped when the most evil villian…the delivery man came to pick up the candy. Some how I had been included in this shipment and could not wrip my wrapper. Now some old lady just touched me and dropped me into a bag with lots of screaming candy who’s wrappers had APPARENTLY NOT BEEN WRIPED! At least I don’t have to be eaten but know I’m in some filthy container with no one I knew. How did I the king end up in the garbage and no one else did?

4. Piece of Candy

So its Halloween eve and I’m still on the shelf at Walmart and i am the only piece of candy left and i think its because I’m a lemon head! My family has always been one of the last pieces of candy on the shelf, I think its because I’m sour or something but The store is about to close. It looks like there’s no hope for me. Just when they sound on the intercom that they are about to close i hear somebody running and the next thing you know they come on my isle and they start looking around quickly and they come right where me and my friends are in a yellow bag. They look right at us and grab us up and put us in her buggy.

She takes us to her home and sets us on the counter. At this time its about 11:00 at night so she goes to bed and turns out the light. Its so quiet in here, but me and my friends are happy that someone brought us home. Its the middle of the night and all of the sudden i hear footsteps and they were coming fast, it kept getting closer, and closer and then it stops right near us. The sound disappears for about 30 seconds and then the next thing i know we are all on the ground.

I look up and there is a big brown dog ripping the bag open to shreds. He starts to eat some of my friends, at this point everyone is panicking. We want to run away but the thing is we don’t have feet. then all of the sudden the lady that bought us turned the light on, and come over to the rest of us and picked us up and put us in a glass jar in a cabnet. She puts the dog in the cage. We never saw him again that night.

So its Halloween night and all of us are excited because we are going to get handed out to kids. The lady puts us in a bowl and wait for the door bell to be rang. Finally, it rings and she grabs the bowl with us in it and opens the door. A kid dressed up in a hulk costume says “Trick or Treat” and the lady reaches down in the bowl grabs three of us and I’m one of them. She drops us in his bag. He hads some snickers, Reese cups, and some milky ways.

The kid takes us home and dumps us out on his floor he picks a bunch of candy and puts it in one pile and puts us three in a separate pile> he grabs us and starts walking, He opens this lid and throws us away in the garbage. We were all upset. It stunk in that garbage can so much that i suffocated and died. i Probably rotted in the trash after a couple weeks.

And that’s what happens to candy that kids don’t like!