may day, may day – finally back to east of eden…

well, two more – here we go… i read “the last boy” about mickey mantle – on loan from mr. scott – last week – sad, sad book – mantle had a sad life – basically was bent on killing himself for the 70-ish years of his life – alcohol, women, etc. – having read a biography on willie mays two years ago, the differences were stark – the book chain of darkness continued later in the week when i started “east of eden” – well, picked back up after three weeks off – i’m 300 pages in – that book starts very dark too – i had read it a few years back, maybe 10, so i knew to keep with it – this time around, i can identify with the character “adam” a whole lot more – last time, i just liked the redemptive nature of the book – this time, so far, what i’ve liked is the story of a guy that is never really loved – and how he learns to cope in the world after years of just basically “going through the motions” because he doesn’t feel anymore – the book is 600 pages long so i have a while to go – not in too big a rush – i did get a “shakespeare for kids” book that i’m hoping will help me teach julie, st. k, and the gang (the gang being goth girl maddie and possibly cailea – but definitely not jerame or tyler – and definitely not any eighth grader left that’s still blogging – i don’t think any of them are though – they’ve contracted that work out to india or something)

you heard it here first – three journals this week if you turn them in thursday – any guesses how many will wait ’til friday and still turn in just three??? i’m guessing most everyone – although, i strongly suspect at least 25 percent of my students do the work right before class – anyway, you also heard it here first – come to my booth friday – the dash race – race your friends – it’ll be fun

mafeld

18 thoughts on “may day, may day – finally back to east of eden…”

1. Mayfield, I’m sorry to tell you that I will not be attending field day due to my hatred of being outside.
    These are my two blogs from last week. Hush, Hush

Wed.- The story is awesome. Everyone compares it to Twilight. I don’t see how though. Twilight and Hush, Hush both involve immortals of different kinds. Obviously Twilight has vampires, and Hush , Hush is fallen angels. it’s a love story of sorts. Patch (the fallen angel) is bent on trying to kill Nora (the main character) but they fall in love. *Cue sigh*
    Thurs.- Basically Nora lives with her mom, because her father was murdered a year ago and she has a best friend Vee, who is completely different from herself. Vee is loud, tall, and makes a lot of innuendos. But she’s funny. I’d hang out with her. Heck, I’d hang out with any book character if they were real. (Denote Gale and Jacob, though)

Okay, there are my blogs. πŸ™‚ Pray for the victims of the tornados. It’s worse than it looks on the news-I know-I’ve seen it in Pleasant Grove. I wouldn’t bring small children out there. It isn’t just dangerous because of all the glass and nails, but the emotional toll is pretty bad. Pray!
    -St K
    -When the moon is blue, the clock strikes noon

2. Okay so I’m think I’m going to do 3 journals this week because who couldnt take up an offer likethat? I am going to do one blog on Peter and the Starcatchers. It will be on Peters escape to go get some decnt food. While this is going on Slank is on a hot date with Molly’s nanny who is supposed to be watching her while her dad is on the Wasp. So, Peter sets out of his cabin in pursuit to the other side of the boat where “first-class people” are. This means he must cleverly cross the main deck where there will definently be guards and sailors everywhere. He climbs up the ladder which is the entrance to the main deck. It is dark outside so that will be helpful. The first thing he heard were 3 sailors singing and drinking rum(if i was the boss I would have them fired). He quietly crawls on his stomack through crates and post lined up on the deck. He gets to the otherside where he hears Molly’s nanny and Slank cutting up and laughing. He reaches for the door latch to enter into the high class cabins where there are sure to be delicates and yummy food.

3. Hey, I am on Peter and the Starcatchers and I will be doing the 2nd blog of 3. I left you on a cliffhanger when Peter made across the deck to the first class section for some food that doesnt move. Her climbed down the ladder into a hallway that smelled like perfume. He walked to the end of the hallway to find a guard asleep(or drunk from the smell of his breath). He was laying in front of the stash of food in a dark room that was wide open. He walked cautiously into the room and as soon as he walked in he saw bright green eyes glowing in the dark. He freaked out and fell backwards onto the floor with a THUD! He looked up and it was a rat, but this rat wasn’t running across the floor; it was floating in mid-air right above the trunk that he had noticed being carried onto the ship. he got up really guick and tripped over the guard. He woke up with a startle and yelled after him. When he was running down the first class hall way, he was pulled in to one of the rooms.

4. I finished Hush, Hush. It is really a great book to reread. You don’t like to reread some books because they have little info. that actually applies to the story. This book-on the other hand-is packed with information because of the detail of fallen angels.
    Who says I can’t listen to Katy Perry while I blog? Huh? because I am, all while watching DWTS. It is awesome!

Okay, so Crecendo this week. (The sequel to Hush, Hush)
    Mon.- The beginning is all sweet and happy like through the first chapter. Then all happiness goes out the window. It starts out with Nora and Patch at the fair and everything is fine until Nora sees Marcie (her enemy) Dunh dunh dunh….
    Tues.- Marcie starts saying all this stuff and is really rude, making Nora cry. She ends up telling Patch and that night when she tells him she loves him he leaves. She gets upset, worried she said something wrong. Then she goes to summer school for the first day (she is taking chemistry to get it over with) and Marcie is her partner. Marcie tells Nora that she saw Patch outside in his Jeep parked outside her house.
    Wed.- So Nora gets really angry and she breaks up with Patch. This book is awful to read not because I don’t like it but because of the poor character choices. They make all the wrong decisions and say all the wrong things to all the wrong people. Ugh… It makes your skin crawl. Nora decides to hook up with the guy that moved back to Coldwater and finds he is a Nephilim.

Okay, so that’s all for this week. Have a good week of blogging.
    Kendra got kicked off tonight. Not disappointed. Just glad Kirstie and Chelsea didn’t leave. Chelsea and Mark always have the coolest dances together. πŸ™‚

-St K

5. Yay You mentioned my name again……(: Crazy Crazy Mayfield… Just so you know I will be attending the play for my second time tomorrow night^_^ And for the third time… on Sunday And I can’t wait for you to see the play.. if you’re coming because Jake looks hilarious and you will laugh out loud..

6. hey mr mayfield i am going to do 3 blogs in a row since my week has been very busy. i a, reading Mick Harte Was Here. i am going to do the pov of Mick Harte.

by what think, mick wasn’t a bad kid at all. he was just, well lets just say a pest to his brother. but its a shame that he is not alive anymore.(which makes me want to cry).one day he was switching out rooms for the morning and him and his brother got into a little wrestling and small fighting when their dad came in in just his shirt and tie, his boxers, and his black knee high socks. hahahahaha that is hilarious.:) that would you be so humiliating.

well this is my 2nd blog for today. i hope you all have a great day and i hope that everyone enjoyed the play today bc i know that i did.
    i am going to do 1 more pov but from mick’s sister.

i understand that being the oldest means that you have more responsibility than the younger sibling. i know that bc i am the older sibling.i can relate to micks sister bc my younger sibling is a stubborn pest and she gets on my nerves.i feel really bad about phoebe’s brother dying. bc i know that i couldn’t even imagine how my life would be without her.

this is gioing to be my last blog of the week. my 3rd blog is going to be a soapstone on the book Mick Harte Was Here.

S-Phoebe Harte
    O-mick walked into the kitchen
    A-the reader(4th graders are recommened to read this book).
    P-to eat breakfast on a school morning
    S-mick getys into a fight with his sister, Phoebe and gets in major trouble for it.
    T-serious- this book shows how to deal with a death of a loved one
    o
    n
    e

7. Hey I am on my last blog this week and I will be doing a POV on Hungry Bob who is really only shown when he serves the orphans some food. So…….. I’m so hungry. I wonder why they call me HUNGRY bob. Its not like I eat that much! So what if I weigh 360 lbs. There just jealous because they wouldn’t survive as long in the wilderness as me. Well today we got us some new sacrifices(servants for the king). They don’t look like they would last a week in the castle. That king was so mean that he fed his pet snake to his new pet snake he got that same day. One good thing comes out of these kids, and its that they absolutley despise the food they get and leaves more for me . Wait! Thats why they call me hungry Bob. I should’ve have known after these 4 years. Well I have to go feed those stupid orphans now.

8. Ok I am still reading Graceling.

Monday-
    Po and katsa are going to Monsea to find the truth about Leck. They take the Mountain Pass and when they arrive on the other side they see Leck murder Po’s aunt. Leck then confuses Katsa with his garace and that it was an accident. Po talks katsa out of believing it. They go down the river and try ro find Princes Bitterblue, Po’s cousin, hiding in a tree. Po’s grace is becoming stronger and he can now sense some of the things around him. They find the princess hiding in a tree with a huge knife. She also does not trust Po at first.

Tuesday-
    With the princess in tow they go and get two horses to travel on and while they do this they begin to take control of their situation. They also keep traveling and come to a cliff where they can rest and plot their plan to kill Leck. Po sets off but not before he gives Katniss his princehood ring and thereby, giving away his assets. She does not know this though. She just thinks they are decorative. Po knows this and wants his stuff to fall into the right hands if he dies. He sets off to find Leck and gets past his outer gaurd but then when he gets to the inner gaurd thats where his problems start. They shoot arrows at him an the horse because one of them is graced with archery.

Wednesday-
    Well Po comes back with an arrow in his shoulder and a lot of blood. He falls and the horse falls on him. He keeps throwing up and isn’t himself. They nurse him as best as they can and they also find him a place to stay. This place is a cabin near a stream and the tream has a cave leading off of it underwater, Po can sense this. They leave him there with a fish trap and a lot of fire wood. It is here Po discovers he’s blind. Luckily he has this grace of sensing things. They have a trek in fron of them and katsa kills leck and a mountiainlion. That is the basic parts of the end of the book.

πŸ™‚ πŸ˜‰ πŸ™

9. hi fifteen minutes.

monday-well i started reading saving zasha. it starts off in the prolouge with the boy coming back from hiding his new dog zasha. then a yellow car shows up. two men step out. the men are two german soldiers that are looking for a german shepard.

tuesday- the men ask the the boy (his name is mikhail) if he’s seen a dog. the boy says no(he’s lying). then the men look around and they find nothing. then they leave and mikhail and his brother wait for a full half hour and then when they know the men are gone they go back to work.

wednesday- for the whole book it looks like the point of view is going to be mikhails. i think the book would be alot better if it was in zashas eyeys. it appears as if it is first person but i think it might be second because mikhail is telling the story of zasha.

see ya.

10. The book follows Simon’s difficult transition into vampirism, but equally shows us more about Jace and Clary’s relationship. Simon receives an offer from a vampire named Camille Belcourt who claims to have been usurped by Raphael. She says that if Simon joins her side as the Daylighter, then he will finally earn his place in vampire society. His mom discovers the blood bottles in his refrigerator and he uses his new vampiric power of persuasion to erase the memories. He then runs away to his new band mate, Kyle’s house.
    Kyle is revealed to be Maia’s former werewolf boyfriend Jordan Kyle, who bit her at the end of their relationship, therefore turning Maia into a werewolf. As Simon tries to adjust to life as a vampire, with the Mark of Cain, he is attacked numerous times and each time the Mark’s curse works and the attackers are killed. Meanwhile, Jace has dreams in which he murders Clary by stabbing her or choking her. Clary’s mother, Jocelyn, is having difficulty adjusting to Jace as Clary’s boyfriend when he reminds her so much of Valentine.
    Clary and her mother also discover that someone is trying to make more children like Jonathan, which again Jocelyn has trouble coming to terms with. At one of Simon’s Bands gigs, Simon runs off stage ill (mostly due to his lack of blood consumption). Maureen, the band’s only fan, follows Simon and asks for his picture. Halfway through taking it, Simon bites her and drinks her blood, interrupted just in time by Jordan. The day after, they receive a message saying someone was holding Simon’s girlfriend hostage, and he should go to save her. Calling up Clary, Isabelle and Maia, Simon determines it was a joke, only to find it was actually Maureen who had been kidnapped and they had killed her. Jocelyn and Luke (now engaged) attend an engagement party organised by Luke’s werewolf pack, in which Simon disappears.
    Simon is led away from the party by Maureen, now a vampire, and is taken to Lilith, the creator of all demons, who has been alive since the beginning of time, who turned up at one of Simon’s bands gigs and introduced herself as a promoter called Satrina (one of 17 names given to Lilith). She explains that she needs him to resurrect Sebastian from the dead. When he tells her he cannot bring the dead back to life, she tells him that he has had that power since he became a Daylighter. In order to persuade him to resurrect Jonathan, she possesses Jace, through his dreams (a matter of a protective ritual performed when a Shadowhunter is born; When Jace died in Idris and was resurrected by the Angel, this ritual was undone, leaving Jace vulnerable to possession) and orders him to kidnap Clary. Jace brings Clary to Lilith and she orders him to kill her if Simon does not resurrect Sebastian. Simon bites him and drains some of his blood.
    This poisons him because Sebastian has demon blood. Meanwhile, Clary grabs Jace’s knife and cuts the rune that Lilith is using to possess him on his chest, causing the real Jace to awaken and help to kill Lilith, who is really killed by Simon, when he throws himself in between Lilith and Clary, when Lilith is torturing Clary in front of Jace. The Clave appears at the scene, and Isabelle tells them the story of what happened downstairs while Jace is waiting for them upstairs. The book ends with Jace’s rune healing, hearing Sebastian’s voice in his head, and with Sebastian/Jonathan now in control of Jace, Jace is forced to finish the awakening ritual on Sebastian, who is now wholly alive. That’s the book πŸ™‚

11. hey, song of today is the ninja glare by someone on youtube (can’t remember who) read order of the pheonix, but never finsished blogging on prisoner of azkaban. author’s purpose is to entertain.

left off with harry unable to go to hogsmeade. ron and hermione come back, they all stuff themselves with a feast for halloween, and, judging by the slash marks on the fat lady’s (guardian of gryffindor tower, gryffindor’s dorms and common room, kinda like their home) painting, someone tried to enter the tower. hogwarts students sleep in the great hall (big hall in which important things like tests and apparition practices are held) while the school is purged of black (he evaded apprehension). first quidditch game of the season comes up, harry sees a grim (omen for death) and a couple hundred dementors. they swoop upon harry, he falls off his broom and passes out, his broom hits the whomping willow, the whomping willow hits back, no more flying broomstick. harry realized that the screams in his head when he’s close to dementors weren’t from him, but his mom…. before she died (SPOILER ALERT) and her love protected harry from voldemort’s killing curse (AVADA KEDAVRA!). next trip to hogsmeade, harry gets the maurader’s map (SPOILER ALERT) which was written by lupin, sirius, james potter, and peter pettigrew. he sneaks out of piggymoles/hogwarts and meets hermione and ron. they see draco, harry (invisibly) throws snowballs at draco, snape finds out, uh-oh, harry’s in trouble. snape tests the mauraders map…. cliffhanger. see ya!

12. monday

i have been reading the book, taken. its about a girl who is kidnapped by a group of mexican paramedics. She flashes back many times to happy times. she even had classes back in her school about kidnapping because there were so many. she lived in the safest neighborhood in the usa and still got napped as she would call it.

Tuesday

Dear taken girl(your name is never mentioned),
    As always i put myself in your position and talk. If i were you i wouldnt care if i got shot leaving the ambulance. You knw that they probably wont do anything because if they do the deal will be off and they dont get money. also, how many people can an ambulance hold five or six. there’s not that many so i would atleast make a break for it. if they shoot you, they shoot you. theyre not going to make you suffer so it will either be a one shot one kill or they just dont shoot at all. boo yah. i may have just saved the day for you. but theres still a whole lot of reading to be done so i will soon find out if you follow my advice.

wednesday

i think that the reasoning of this book was to tell the reader to always be prepared. dont go into anyones car if you dont know them. if an ambulance comes make sure that your mom, dad, or guardian goes with you. make sure to check the ambulance’s personel license. remember to alwyas be prepared and never ever go into an ambulance. tell the driver that you want to ride with your parent. also, if an ambulance comes to your house for no reason and says that they got a phone call that the girl is sick, this is for you parents, dont let em go.

13. Hey Mr. Mayfield!!!! First, I just want to say that I am going to do the whole blog for only 10 minutes with 1 journal tomorrow, that way it still counts!!! Secondly, I was texting Julie- but of course I’m just stating the obvious- and I said the word blooged when I’m pretty sure that it is spelled blogged. Or I could spell it bloged like Adison. No affense Adison…. ANYWAY! I am going to blog for 10 minutes, I suppose, about my awesome book……… Radiance. OOOOOOOOO!!!! Okay, I won’t do that again…

Okay, so I think that on the last blog that I did I left off with Riley having the job as a soul catcher.(she’s got a job at 12! Dang!!!!) So in the chapters that I have read tonight, Riley is trying to find her guide in order to start her job. So I don’t think that I told you this but there is this-well what Riley in the book calls him- dorky boy since she didn’t know his name. So then her and Buttercup were off to find her guide/teacher/boss/ coach. Then so called dorky guy comes along. Then he starts bugging Riley and she starts getting annoyed and starts being mean to him.(she’s not quite nice to him so far in the book.) Then of course since they are in heaven, Riley wants to know how he got there and started being mean again. Then he tells her and it’s you’re tipical sob-story but it’s real sad. He had died of bone cancer-Osteosarcoma- even though they had cut his leg off, but it was too late. How sad right???? So then he ends up being all serious and tells her that he is her guide. So Riley then had to learn and call him by his real name which is Bohdi. Nice.. Then he takes her through like all of these kinds of bus and train and subway rides to get to the Earth plane. And I am now at the part in the book-chapter 11- to where they are at there first house, but Riley and Buttercup are like still really confused about this whole soul catcher job….

Well that’s all from me for this week!!!! I’ll blog if I can next week!! πŸ™‚

14. AWWWWWWWW shucks Mr. Mayfield. Read your blog and I ACTUALLY saw MY name in it!!!! That makes me and my crippled self soooooooo happy and warm. bye!

15. Hey Mr. Mayfield okay so I am reading out of the dust and I am doing a povc. Okay well the persons who povc was billy joe she thought that after her mom died her and her dad would grow closer together but the grew apart so now she has decided to leave home and try and make it in the world by herself and she is sad that she left her father to fend for himself!! πŸ™‚

16. Ok well I am reading the same book and my journal is is a author’s purpose okay well I think the author’s purpose for writing what I have read is for informing the audience about how bad the dust bowl was and how.that it is nothing to mess with. Also that a little girl had to grow up with her family dead well most anyway and that she is trying her best to fill in for her mother and please her dad as did her mother.

17. hey Mr. Mayfeild i just got home on Monday we go full pads in football. anyways ill finish my blogging this week. i will blog for ten minutes and on the authors purpose. so here we go i think that the author included this part you stole it !!!? because he was wanting a twist in the character so it made the story more interesting so that the reader would pay attention. i think that the author included this part this is my toughest challenge yet because he wanted to make you pay more attention in this specific part of the book. anyways iv got to run to bed because its getting late now if i have you as a class tommarow than you’ll be very lucky to have your favorite student haha i was kidding but anyways bye.

18. whats up mayfield
    this week i have been reading the been reading the story huck finn and sofar it is turning out pretty bad for him because they were doing good to escape until the raft was crashed into by a steamship and then once they got to shore they got caught right in the middle of a huge dispute about the shepered-sons. so really about anything bad that could happen to othem is going to happen right now while everything else is going on also i have been thinking osama been laden being killed and i noticed that you are right we have the right to be patriotic but we really should not be celebrating the death of another man and that could be why that they are so agravated with us