why can’t liberty day come twice a year???

my guess the answer to the question above is “b/c it’s too hot…”

hope everyone is well – i finished the tony blair book about mid week – took a while to finish the last 600 pages – after that, i went to work on the list i have for BOB consideration:

“long walk to water” – awesome little book – might use it in class – definitely will buy it for class – story of southern sudan – of loss and redemption – of helping others – of expanding one’s world beyond the petty themes that tend to dominate YA (those themes typically being the “weighty” issues like – “gosh, life is awful b/c i don’t fit in at school” or “gosh, i really, really like that boy but he doesn’t like me” or “gosh, no one understands me” – then, you read a book where a kid watches his uncle murdered – where the kid has to walk across countries to find refuge – who makes something of his life – and you realize “hey, i have no problems”…)

“grimm legacy” – enjoyed this book too – makes me think the BOB list will actually be good this year – story that mixes in grimm’s fairy tales, mystery, and suspense – pretty good – not great – but no sequel to it either – and all done in 300 pages – so i’m pleased

“moon over manifest” – 100 pages in – not sure where it’s going – it’s a newberry so i suspect it’ll go somewhere good – and i suspect we’ll read it – i found it funny that the KKK was bashed as much as it was in the 1930s – i mean, if our all knowing adolescents knew the klan was awful – that it took advantage of race and ethnic differences – then, oh, i don’t know, dumb question… but why in the world did that klan keep on and keep its power for so long??? there are just times when i feel like authors get into revisionist history where events have to be construed to make historical figures fit our present morals (all one of them – tolerance seems to be the one value everyone loves in the modern world)

st. k – you marched beautifully – no word yet on when bristol is coming to town though – thanks for the word on seng – you knew more about what was going on at the school than i did…

adison – thanks for the sweet potato – it was wonderfully good (and nutritious:)

7 thoughts on “why can’t liberty day come twice a year???”

1. Well, Mr. Mayfield, I survived the march. It was hot. And I was sweaty. I don’t like being sweaty. But other than that, I didn’t know where anyone was at the parade, but apparently my mom “chased” the marching band. And then Marj and Trey were like “It was so hot outside.” Me: “Shut up!”

Haha, okay. I have awesome, amazing, spectacular news. I was surfing the Internet and came up on this article invoking Suzanne Collins and ASFA. So naturally, I clicked on it. And I learned that the acclaimed Hunger Games author is an alumni from ASFA. SO COOL!!!!! 🙂

Okay, I’m not blogging today. I just read your post and decided to comment on that.

-St K
    -When the moon is blue, the clock strikes noon

2. st. k,
    yes, it was so hot – thank you for being the voice of reason there – you and i are NOT children of the sun – i had thought the parade started at 3 so i got another half hour of it – not what i wanted

yes, collins is an alum – trevor something is an alum – he was in my youth group at church in the mid 90s – so was adriane “it’ll come to me eventually” – and i probably spelled the adriane wrong – we had an “Anne-drea” a “A-drea” and an “Adriane” at that church during that time – it was a confusing time – made all the worse b/c of OJ (Simpson – every problem in the world can be traced to OJ…)

glad to have you write in – i do think BOB needs a float in the Christmas parade – and at Liberty Day next year – we can pile in POG’s volvo – and throw books at people

3. Alright. I have to blog QUICKLY. I’m going into the great unknown this week. Aka the lake, Marj is tagging along for the ride.

Kay. Blogging on Breaking Dawn. Yah, I know. I reread that and Eclipse this week. All the talk about the movie, well, I had to.

Mon.- The beginning of this book is basically how much Bella hates her new Mercedes and she thinks Edward is playing a joke on her because the car is protected by tanks. And then she realizes he’s worried about her safety. I wouldn’t mind having that car… I’m not very coordinated, and I fall down a lot.
    Tues.- Okay so then she has a flashback about how she told her dad she was getting married. Which is definitely one of my favorite parts of the book. So Charlie like wants to shoot Edward, which really wouldn’t matter… But, anyway, and she has to call her mom and she’s all cool with it. Strange.
    Wed.- So the wedding comes and it’s my favorite scene in the book. Who wouldn’t want a wedding like that? And then Jacob comes and makes it all sad and gloomy and freaks and leaves, and then I’m happy again. And then Edward and Bella dance-I can picture Bella standing on his feet. I’m not that uncoordinated, I can dance.
    Thurs.- Okay so then fifteen or so pages are dedicated to sitting on planes. Exciting, I know. So Bella still complains a lot, which never changes however many times you reread the book. Edward still is a downer. I remember one good quote from the first chapter or so of the book, it goes like this; “Gah,” I gasped.
    Am I the only one that finds that strange?

Okay, I’m done. And ready for some inner tubing. And some knee boarding (thanks to Trey)

4. hi Mr.Mayfield i was just looking and i saw some of you posts and it is very hot outside. I can’t wait for tomorrow because i get to learn more things in your class. I’m glad that I’m not in the other reading class i mite get really bored in there. I think it is funny when you try to act like a little kid.

5. hi Mr.Mayfield i wassitting here and saying why is my leaves changing so fast so i decided to look it up and i got mad because it said do you mean do you mean and i looked up and saw that i had spelt leaves wrong. I agreed with sarah (ruthy) because your class is awsome and exicting. But the book i got today is called “Faith of the crimson tide” and I took the AR test today during luch intervention and barlie had time but luckly she let me and cloby go well have to go Mr.Mayfield see you tomorrow

6. Journal – Creative

One day i was walking in the woods and the i saw a deer. I was about 12 yards away when something spoked it thats when i saw a bobcat. It came to me and jumped on me. I fell to the ground.THUMP! It really hart the cat started to scratch me and bite. I got a stick and hit it ones or twice. then something came up behind it and pulled it off. I was bleeding really badly. It was my dad he rushed my to the hospital. I had to get alot of stitches and i had a broken arm. I had to have a cast for 12 and a half months. It smelt bad when i got it token off. it felt better when i could do things with my arm.

( not a real story )

7. it is better to be loyal or honest because your friends and family will listen to you more and they will believe you more too. if you lie everyone will not be you friend or listen to you. like The Boy that Cried Wolf. SO DON’T LIE JUST BE HONEST!

prompt 5