harry potter column coming to a Reporter near you…

so finished the BOB list books this week – huge relief – of course, what i read isn’t necessarily going to make the list (all of them can’t in the first place – second, my tastes aren’t the tastes of the committee members) but…

“moon over manifest” – finished it – liked it – could tell why newberry honored it – best book of last year though??? mmm…

“the shadow project” – sort of a spy thriller – got really strange in parts – the book starts as a “sprint to the finish” race to save people, then it shifts to a “oooh, there’s a whole back story we need to learn about for, oh, about 100 pages” and then back to the race to the finish – sort of three books in one – but none of them that good

“how lamar’s bad prank won a bubba-sized trophy” – pretty decent read – best part of the book is that it’s a different voice for the kids that will read BOB – most of YA lit authors are white females – or males – a different voice introduces different characters – different things to think about – it’s not a book that BOB kids would pick so i’m pressing to get it on “the list”

“fever crumb” – i really liked this book but i don’t want it, ironically enough, on “the list” – future dystopia type book – so in that vein, similar to “hunger games” – and the central character is female, and she’s strong – best part of the book is that there are really tough choices that have to be made in the book – and most of the characters aren’t completely good – or completely evil – it’s the sort of book you could actually discuss with someone – so i’m hoping to have kids read it outside of BOB (i don’t like it with BOB just b/c i thought some of the issues were too weighty for sixth graders)

“drive” – not a YA book – as my reward for finishing “the list,” i went back to reading what i like – i got a business book to relate to education – to make me a better teacher – and “drive” was wonderful – best part, i learned how to make some cool things on the internet for my class – we’ll definitely be using it in the classroom this year

“odds and ends” – that’s not a title, but having finished “the list” plus one, i’ve been trying to break a bit – so i’m just reading on the old testament (it’s really long – i’m reading psalms and i kings right now) and my weekly magazines – i got a freebie on the nook yesterday that i’ll probably try next

hope your week is a great one – happy 4th

mafeld

3 thoughts on “harry potter column coming to a Reporter near you…”

1. hey mr mayfeild i will blog for the summer because of basketball season training. i finished crash and am reading aroun the world in 80 days. so i want a final blog on crash. crash looked outside and saw his grandpaw laying on the ground outside.i think that the author was trying to say life is limited live smart. and then his grandpaw could only say abye because the authors parents might have done the same thing. well i guese that ill blog later.

2. I can’t believe I forgot to blog. Now I have two this week.
    In my defense I was kind of busy and not home all week…
    Hope you had fun in Destin, my favorite beach ever. 🙂

3. dearest st. k,
    you’d better watch or two weeks will go into three (at least, by my count:)

in your honor, i think i spent three minutes on the beach – total – well out of the sun

don’t you have beginning marching band whatever coming up soon???

and what about hines ward??? should his title with DWTS be stripped for his arrest last week???

so many important questions to ask you – including those on alabama football – so little time…

always good to hear from you