beatin’ the trail back to fayetteville…

so i’m at the bama game yesterday – and their team elects to punt near midfield on fourth down and short – rather than go for it and try to get back in the game – basically, the classic move that says “we give up, let’s run the clock out – despite what cbs says – and get out of here”

and i look over – and the obnoxious two hog fans (complete in hoggie shorts) were on their way out too – very, very quietly…

in other news…

“the longevity project” – read this one last week and forgot to review it – stanford scientists took a 1922 gifted survey and looked at what clues to helping you age could be gleamed – the gifted project (by terman) followed the subjects over the course of their lives – which is rare – anyway, the book had some advice that went against conventional wisdom that you must exercise all the time, have a great social group, be married – oh, and be religious – anyway, good to read – funny enough, it was in large print edition at the public library – like, if you’re old and reading this, why do you care about delaying age anymore???

“molasses and glasses” – by ron clark – educator – founder of ron clark academy (for a creative, dynamic teacher, an interesting name choice for his school) – basically, he cares more, teaches more, raises more money in a day than i’ll ever do with my class – so i read with a HUGE guilt complex

“the olympian” by craig t. williams – WONDERFUL book – i harbored hopes it could be a BOB – maybe for high school – but a few details, language, probably keep it from academic competition – but a must read for all runners – a must read for all lovers of history – enjoyed the book – basically, a historical fiction about the details of the first African-American to medal for the US Olympic team – the book hits on contemporary issues for ’08 with great clarity – again, many audiences would enjoy it (young to old)

“battle hymn of the tiger mother” – marj gift to me for the weekend – better than i figured it would be – an account of raising daughters to be extraordinary – good exploration of how much to push children and how much to coddle to their every wish and desire – the first option isn’t nearly as popular, but it is the path to greatness, typically – however, few ever do great things – i guess i should say it’s inspired me to bring the hammer down in my classroom:)

read a few english prep, gifted ed, books as well – always looking for ideas

happy parade week – i’ve never been – does this one throw candy or is it just an excuse for high school kids to be themselves and for everyone else to get out of school??? i’ve always been curious

27 thoughts on “beatin’ the trail back to fayetteville…”

1. ok this wekk has been good so far (creative)

In a galaxy a long time ago (but somehow in the future) a certain dog man was sitting in a tavern on the planet serain. The planet serain was an odd planet if you could say that. All the people that visit this planet are usally traders or tourist. The natives are the ones u want to see though. They are huge ogres. Their learer is a ogre with not much regret. What he should be regreting? Oh he should be regreting selling his planet (yes a communist planet) to the LLC. This is the organazation that all the traders have to register with. But the dog man that started our story is not registered. On every LLC planet there is always a black market. Now this certain dog man’s name is Rez. (how original) Anyway, he controls the black market for the LLC.

2. Typical non roll-tiders. I don’t blame them though.

Creative-Bob just graduated from the preschool and obtained his covenant diploma. Oh wait, his MINOR diploma. He’s got a while to go. Now this wouldn’t be so bad if he was just turning 6, but he is a rather unusual age for preschoolers. I mean, if you don’t get out of preschool when youre 20, there’s some pieces not fitting into this puzzle. After deep digging I found that bob had just failed…the newborn age several repetitive times.

3. First blog.

Mika won a hover car and so did Audrey. They went back home and Mika finally convinced his parents to let him go by crying and saying that the game made him feel good about himself. He packed and was ready to go but it took a while to sat good-bye to his parents. They made him promise not to do anything dangerous after the harpoon gun accident. He’s in the pod that’s taking him to Cape Wrath. That’s a fort in scotland it took a long time to get there. When he first got there he saw the cliff and the little bit of grass that still existed on the top. Then he saw where the grass had been killed around the fort. The fort was like a big black donut with an underground hanger for all of the podfighters. That’s all until tomorrow.

Trent

4. Monday already so here is my first blog. 🙂
    Change
    Daniel, all by himself, alone looking for Ergent Seth. Number 6 on the list. There is no one there for him in the beginning except for his created friends. He decides he should start school and keep his priorities up. But to also get out of the house and his mind off of Number 6. He meets the most beautiful girl ever, Phobe. Later on, they become friends. They are having fun and just chilling at the Coffee shop and Phobe breaks down and cries. She admits to Daniel she lied. Her family didn’t move there because of her dad. Last year her sister went out to play. Her mom came to check on her and the wwasn’t there, someone abducted her. Ergent Seth was always know for abducting kids.

Mimi 🙂

5. Ok so I left off on Treasure Island as Black Dog got away out of the spyglas tavern. So they quiestion one of the men and he honestly admitted nothing. So they sat down and the 2 came back empty handed. They proceeded back to Mr.Trewlawney. They were going to tell them of this conflict they had. So they got there and Dr.Livesay and the squire were just sitting and eating some food. They went in their and told them the whole story from first to last. Long John told them that he would be on his way. They told him to report to the ship at 4 to depart for treasure island. So he leaves, as soon as he turns his back they go on to complimenting Long John. When they were done they told Jim it was finally time to go on the ship. so They headed ff for there ship.

6. Hey , it is jimmy again with the monday blog coming in from parts unknown with a creative blog.

“Ok class get out your postions and begin your test” snype said. The class followed his instuction. suddenly voldymort came in and started to sing”voldymort voldymort oh voldy voldymort.” Then harry potter started to sing ” harry potter harry poter oh harry potter harry potter oh.” Then ron stared to sing ” ron, ron, ron weasly.” over and over again. Then dumbledoor started to sing ” dumbledoor.” but repeatedly. Then snype started to sing ” snype.” over and over again. Then hermoin began singing “hermoin.” every other moment.

No body knows how this happend but don’t worry they did not make it because there was a pipe bomb disaster and this was the distraction.

Just kidding hope you enjoyed

7. man they beat me again you have some fast students anyways i will end up beating them because i will get themm all done today. fifteen minute creative go. i was at practice and got in the wole time and i was getting tired and then it hit the lightning when coach miller told us to go to the feild house i ran into the feild house and was waiting then he told us practice was over and we all wanted to go home. thats how fooball was then i got into the car and got to go eat at jacks. i wish i had that every time. after jacks i came home to blog and playing on my ipod that i couldnt live without so that was my day so far how was yours haha packed day huh now i go to sleep

8. I told my myself I would come and visit you every now and then. I’m guessing a lot of middle school graduates from your class have made the same promise to themself. I’m also guessing I am in the majority who haven’t kept that promise. Of course, it’s not like anybody from my class has come and visit anyways. Has anyone? Anyways, I just wanted to tell you that I miss having your class to look foreward to and dread five days a week. And that everyone needs to treasure their years of middle school laziness before they are subjected to the constant labor and excitement of high school. Bye Mayfield!

9. hey mr. mayfield i feel so weird like im the awesomest person ever…. (authors purpose.

So basically everytime i read a book its usally fantasy or fiction. Ihave a ture passion for reading these kinds of books. Idk why but i really like reading them. I like the type of made up world. I like the part of magic. Its made up but when a truely good author writes about magic he can go inside of you and make magic seem real.

10. So…. I need to blog…… I guess I will start now….

Right now, I am reading Holes.
    It’s an easy book but its really good…
    I finished Inkheart over the weekend by the way.
    I’m going through books really fast right now.
    I’m almost done with Holes too. Then I’ll need to go out and buy some more books. I’ve been saving up my allowance money for the past year and I’ve saved up enough money for me to buy a whole bookstore:D
    Well… IT’s only a hundred dollars but it’s enough for me to get a bunch of books to read.
    So back to Holes. Stanley Yelnats is accused of stealing famous shoes from a homeless shelter he gets the choice of going to camp or going to jail.
    He decides to go to camp. The camps’ name is Camp Green Lake but there is no lake
    And you have to dig holes out in the sun all day.
    I bet that stinks.
    Stanley spends all his time there and he meets the other guys from the camp with nicknames like Zero, Armpit, And Zigzag.

Ok.. Thats all.
    -Julie

11. Hey it is jimmy, sorry I was absent today. Today I am doing point of veiw shift. But it is adding on to my last bloggs of the halo storie I have been working on.

“Alright get up.” the spartain said. “I am give me a minute.” I said. He glared at me and then game me a smg. “I have not been trained yet to use this.” I said. “Today is hunting day. The day we will take grunts down, and demolish the homes of the elites.” He said. We walked about 20 miles before coming to a beach infested with brutes, elites, grunts, and hunters. “you can wish to survive or you can survive.” I said boldly. ptssoo ptsoo came from thier guns as they shot at us. “Time to realy feal war in expeiriance.” he said to me. “What?” I said. The war went on for about 30 minutes, then all whas dead exept the hunter and the spartains fliction. The spairtain helled a mighty war chant “For the sergant” and then slashed the mighty hunter right out of his misoury.

Hope you enjoyed.:-)

12. Hey so I am going to do some creative. So there was a boy named Billy. He always dreamed of being a pirate someday, but he was very nice and sensitive so nobody beleived in him. He got up one morning and thought long and hard how he should become a pirate. “First I need to get a good name!” So he thought and he came up with Billy Bones because it was terrifying yet it used alliteration. Next thing, i need to get recognized. He went out and started a riot to “bring down the man” I’m not sure all the context, but it started a pretty good one. This would later be recognized in the 60’s and 70’s. The next step was to get some pirate clothes and make them really dirty and smelly. He went to the thrift store and bought some clothes. He threw them in a mud pit and sprayed it witth some cheap cologne. The final thing is to get that pirate look. So he didn’t brush his teeth for 2 months, he wore the same clothes, got in to a lot of fights, and went to the local tattoo parlr. He went as a sensitive young lad, and he came back a tough bucaneer. This the man we now know as Billy Bones.

13. Pov of computer-Okay, so in investigating to teenagers chat along with each other. It kinda is a violation of privacy, but hey, if spies can do it, then I can do it! Or at least I think that’s what I shod say. Uuggh, this conversation has not been seen by you? K? Anyways, these two kids are believed to be two fugitives on the run. After reading a lot of there messages they’re just fine

14. Mika got out of the pod and somehow he sensed that Ellie was in the building. He got asigned a room that was bigger and nicer than his fold-down apartment back home. He went to get a shower and right when he walked in he saw Leo’s tail which meant that he knew that most of the finalists were mutants like him and Audrey. After that he didn’t want to shower he just wanted to go lie down in his bed but he thought that it would be rude to go back. He ended up getting a shower and going back to his room. After he got there Audrey was there so he talked to her and she said that she wanted to go home. They didn’t talk much because there was a camera in their room that was watching them. That would be embarasing to have a camera in your room that could see what you were doing. That’s all until tomorrow.

Trent

15. so Julie just trying to brag to everyone ahha im just messing with you 🙂

(changhe)

So my book started off at a point of view of a polar bear. But now that im into the book it has said that the polar bear was in a story and now there are only 2 main point of views. But thats not important. David was in the artics untill all this turmoil broke out at his house. So he had to return home. When he got their the big (one of them) climax happened. He discovered that his little “sister” i say that bvecause i dont think they’re related. The context clues state that she looks up to him as an idle. so IDK. Its beyond me.

-Colby your bestest student (see i love your class so much im making up words.)

16. Today was a really good day. (:
    By the way Mr. Mayfield, I wanted to apologize for not getting my GEP Form in until today. I’m sorry about that.
    And I wanted to let you know that you are a wonderful teacher and Thanks for being awesome.

So anyways, I’m reading Holes.
    I actually just got done with it but anyways. I left off where Stanley starts to become friends with Zero.
    Stanley learns that Zero doesnt know how to read and he decided to teach him how to read if Zero will dig his hole.
    That’s what they do and soon Zero knows all the ABC’s
    One day when Zero and Stanley were outside digging Holes Zero ran away. He just ran off into nowhere and the Warden kept saying that she thought he would most likely die.
    Nobody knew where he could have gone. But Stanley looked off into the distance and saw God’s Thumb which was a mountain that was the only source of water in the area.
    Stanley knew that if they got there. There would be water. Stanley ran away to.
    Only after he’d ran away did he realize he hadn’t gotten any water in his canteen.
    Luckily, He found Zero and he was alive….Barely.

Ok That’s all
    -Julie

17. Second blog and so I am gonna chillax…
    Creative
    Geek,nerd, and plain out weird are three ways to describe Phillip, the brainiac. It is now his second year at CMS and no one liked him. Poor Phill, as he walked the halls ashamed. No one new what the future held for Phill, or who Phill actually was. One day, Phill let it loose. Eveyone had seen the side of Phill no one wanted. The blood-sucking monster who was Phill Jerard. Everyone in CMS reminisces the day that Phill took over and lead the clan of the band geeks. No one knew of King Phill’s powers up until that day.
    I will continue this creative next week!! 🙂

18. Last blog and i am so excited!
    Authors Purpose
    I think the authors purpose for this series is to entertain. All kids love aliens and the gory tales of kids almost there age. If i were the author I would have definitely made this a series book. Young adults, like Mr. Mayfield :), love aliens and fighting. Especially some of the violent boys in Mr. Mayfields class! If you enjoyed the series books the Unfortunate Events then you would like this book. Mr. Mayfield you should read this, it reminds me of you. :0 Aliens are trying to take over the world and one kid is killing them off one by one. What could be better?
    Colby you would love this book! 🙂
    Mimi

19. Hey Mr.mayfield. I’m going to do a POV of Black Dog as he just escpes the grasps of Long John Silver.
    Wooo! My adrenaline is puumping! I looked like Michael Jordan back there! Whoever that is, bit it was worth it. I get a few drinks of rum for free annd i get my workout for the year. But I feel bad because Long John is really a nice guy and sometimas people forget that deep inside, pirates have a heart. I know I shouldn’t go back, because you know I have a pretty good rep going right now, but one day I sware I will show these people that I can do something great for my fellow civilians.
    This is the thoughts of younger Black Dog, now known as John F. Kennedy. He was inspired by these thoughts and after the events in Treasure Island he inspired himself to become a president and he did. See what happens if you believe?
    PS- all events in this Pov are fiction so don’t come at me with any comments about history tommorrow:)

20. So Julie’s getting all sentimental this week and saying Mr. Maf is an awesme teahcer, which is true…. 🙂 He would be more awesome if he came to the homecoming parade and let Julie throw candy at him as she follows behind the band.

Alright, so this weeks blogs will be on Okay for Now.

Mon.- I really like this book, it’s somehting than everyone who read Wednesday wars should pcik up. So, Doug Swieteck is back, and moving to “Stupid” Marysville, NY. He is really bumbed out, and he no longer has Joe Pepitone’s hat, because his brother is someone that is uh… not very nice. I said that as nicely as possible.
    Tues.- So Doug and his family move and his dad is terrible just like Holling’s, but in a different way. Holling’s dad was arogant and rude and I wanted to slap him, Doug’s dad is mean and rude and I also want to slap him. Poor Doug tries to act like his brother, who is away in Vietnam, and his name is Lucas. Of course, he always feels guilty after he gets done being mean bceuasre Lucas is not a very good person.
    Wed.- Doug meets this girl named Lil and her dad owns Spicer’s Delli, so Lil gets Doug the delivery boy job and he delivers ice cream and stuff like that to people’s houses. Doug also goes to the library to get art lessons on how to draw birds. This sounds extremley boring to me, but apparently drwaing birds is really fun and I should look into one day.

Alright, done for this week, and will start full time blogging next month. 🙂

Buh-bye
    -St K
    – when the moon is blue, the clock strikes noon

21. I think it’s just so everyone can get out of school.

Today I’m doing creative writing. Billy Bob Joe or Hilbilly Joe for short was just a simple country boy. He lived in Shelby, Alabama and all that he did was go to school and came straight home. His dad and his whole family was poor because they had been robbed and they took all the money that they had. One day Hilbilly’s dad got laid off from his job at Co-op. He got offered a new position in Chicago, Illinois but he didn’t want to go. He didn’t want to go because the farthest north that he had ever been was to Birmingham when his dad got sick. He had to take the position because it was the only job he could get. Hilbilly was in the car on his way to Chicago and he was mad. After he got there everyone made fun of his clothes and his accent. He ran away with only a shirt. his pants, a jacket, a lighter, and a knife. That’s all until my journal tomorrow.

Trent

22. Let me try to do another dialectical journal

The worlds of “Epic” and the actual world are mixed together- this is a serious threat because as I said on previous journal, Cindella killed several of the security guards and she thinks that their not real people because in epic the only real people are other players that fight and resolve different issues. People could start to die because they’re believed to bs not real.

23. hey im going to do twenty minutes.

mon- when the boys drive to town they notice a wanna be detective sleuthing.he stops at every window and pretends to look at whats inside even if the window is empty. he follows the man that he is chasing into a drug store.

tues-the detective looks at the man until he goes to check out. the detective sees him pull out some money from his breif case and then says hes under arrest. he looks at the bill and notices that its a five. then he says hes sorry and its just a big mis under standing and runs away.

weds- the hardys catch up with the detective and ask him what that was all about. he lies and says that he is on a secret case for the police. then he leaves. then the hardy boys go to the store and ask the clerk for chets microscope.

thurs- the clerk takes chets money and goes in the back to get his microscope. after a while the clerk comes back and says that he cannot sell chet the microscope because one of the bills chet gave him was fake. then the hardys find out that it could be the twenty that chet swapped for all those ones because the fake bill was a twenty.

24. okay, song of today is Spacebound by Eminem, and i left off with Draco asking if something could be repaired in Borgin and Burke’s. Harry immediately thinks Malfoy became a Death Eater to replace Lucius Malfoy while he serves time in Azkaban for the events in the ending chapters of the Order of the Pheonix, where he, along with most of Voldemort’s followers, were busted for breaking into the Ministry of Magic. Anyways, Harry, Ron, and Hermione wind their way back Knockturn Alley, and push their way through the crowd at Weasely’s Wizard Wheezes. They return home, where they live out the time until they run through the barrier of platform Nine and Three-Quarters and board the scarlet Hogwarts Express. Slughorn invites Harry and Ginny to his Slug Club, where there is a tremendous amount of family bragging and pheasant eating. When they arrive at Hogwarts, Harry is discovered by Malfoy. Harry was hiding in the luggage rack of Slytherin’s carridge, trying to find out if Malfoy is a Death Eater, and Malfoy decides to immobilize Harry and hide him under the Invisibility Cloak. Draco breaks Harry’s nose and leaves, leaving Tonks to find and save Harry. She sends him on his way to the Gryffindor table, where he meets Ron and Hermoine. They eat their fill, and Dumbledore announces the new psotions for teachers. Snape now teaches. . . DEFENSE AGAINST THE DARK ARTS? Yes, and Slughorn is the new Potions Master. Slughorn is slightly more lenient about N.E.W.T. classes, so Harry and Ron can continue the classes. Harry needs to borrow supplies, and receives a used textbook that had a previous owner who changed the potions’ recipies. This help rockets Harry to the top of the class, and Hermoine is extremely annoyed. Harry even finds incantations in the margins, which he tries out inbetween Harry’s meetings with Dumbledore. Dumbledore finds several memories, which he and Harry view in the Pensive. The first finds Bob Odgen attempting to meet Tom Riddle’s grandfather-, mother-, and uncle-to-be. His grandfather and uncle (both Parseltounges) both absolutely hate Muggles, and Morfin (the uncle) had attacked a Muggle magically. During his visit, Morfin informs his father that Merlope (the mother) had her eyes on a Muggle that rides by every now and then. Tom Riddle (the Muggle) absolutley hates the building and its inhabitants. When Marvalo Gaunt (the grandfather) is arrested for Morfin’s attack, Merlope enchants Tom, who impregnates her, but then leaves her. Voldemort comes back, murders the original Tom, then nagically modifies Morfin’s memory to where he believes he is the murderer. Dumbleore pulls Harry away, then shows him Dumbledore’s own memory of retrieving Tom Marvalo Riddle from his orphanage and informing him he is a wizard. Life goes on until Slughorn gives Dumbledore a clumsily modified memory that shows Tom Riddle at Hogwarts with Slughorn, where Tom asks about Horcruxes. I shall leave for tonight.

25. Hey, sorry i was absent and haven’t blogged. So today i am blogging change.
    Oh and I did get the assignment on the parade thing.

“Get up.” she said. she was a ugly spartain but she was bright. “we have to go to vallhalla, you here.” she continued. I got up and started doing sit ups. In the next 20 minutes she had gotten me out the hut. we started to hed to vallhalla when we got to a destination with $500 in a chest. We hedded to the chest and was stopped by a guy who was wering a viking hat said “this money goes to vallhalla.” “can we tag along we are running off schedual to get to vallhalla.” She said. “sure, but you have to cary the crate.” the viking said. “Ok.” she said. after a day we came to vallhalla the town. “This is what you ment.” she said. “Yes.” the viking said. we were and ifreriated and left.

there I left you hanging because that I will come back to.

26. Hey I am back and doing authors pupose on my last blog.

The authors purpose of my last blog was to entertane the reader with a strange but entertaning story. The author was also trying to give another pespective from his last blog. Wich could change the readers thought of the origanal. and that leads to the characters attitude and how he behaves. and that apply’s to all the characters behavehiors and attitudes. That leads to new characters.

hope you enjoyed my bloggs.

27. Monday

This week I’m blogging about The Castaways of the Flying Dutchman. It is by Brian Jaques, the author of the Redwall series. Anywho, I know that he wrote this to entertain the reader. I pretty sure anyways. I think he wrote this to entertain, but he used facts about the countries and myths of the Flying Dutchman to an advantage, because he twists it to a new point of view of a never-before-heard-of-character. At the same time though he creates the image a huge ship where the boy is put in the galley.

Tuesday

Wondering what would have happened if Neb (the boy in Castaways of the Flying Dutchman) would have escaped in Denmark?
    My guess is that he would have found the black lab and went to a bench and hid until the pirates were gone. Then he would have made a home and been one of those beggars who sits on the corner of the block in New York. Or maybeif he didn’t like the dog anymore … sell the poor black lab. I mean that’s what I would have to do if I were him, but I’m not so that is all his discision. That is what I think would have happened to Neb if he escaped the ship in Denmark.

Wednesday

After a lot of thought The Castaways of the Flying Dutchman is like the beginning of Peter and the Starcatchers. They both have characters get on ships. Neb got on because he was running from his stepbrothers and one of them hit him and he fell into the ice cold water, then all of a sudden a stringy rope hits his head and he uses all his strength to climb onboard. In the other book orphans get onboard because the are forced to be slaves to an evil king overseas. Well, I mean, they have \the same ideas just different plots.

Thursday

So far the captain of the Flying Dutchmanis making a deal with a chinease merchant who is offering FOUR emeralds for him to deliver emeralds to other high-payng people. On another POV a boy is running from his stepbrothers and runs into a dead-end. His stepbrothers or the ocean?!?!?!?!?!? Which is worse?!?!?!? Well, he doesn’t have a choice because one of his stepbrothers cuffs (hits) him in the jaw and falls into the freezing cold ocean shivering and alone.