the joys of a new week when olive-a writes in…

so it’s a great monday when you open your e-mail and see old students have posted to “ye olde blog”…

i took sunday off to recover from the bama game, from getting back at 1:30, from having grandmother duty, from running 90-plus miles that week, from laundry and the ironing that piles up, and from finishing…

“The New Testament in Antiquity” – two Wheaton College professors penned this book – sort of a guide through the books of the NT – giving you the history of the area during the time – and how scholars have approached the books – i was surprised that for a book that’s targeted to divinity students, it read well (lots of photos) and i wasn’t too lost – the factoid geek in me loved learning that the book of mark might have been written as a drama, that the word gospel wasn’t used for genre at that time, that the letters of paul were likely often penned with help – that was a popular thing at the time (not in a deceptive way that some people would interpret that today) – anyway, good read – but exhausting for a week:)

i finished the vanderbilt book last monday – i guess most intriguing was that vanderbilt made the last 15 years of his life really his lasting legacy – with the railroads – and that after a lifetime working with boats – impressive

i finished the old testament last week and read 100 pages in an AP English book – sort of a “how to make a 5 even if you’re a dumb middle school english teacher” edition – it’s good – the list of literary features and rhetoric things were useful tools i thought i might spring in the classroom some time

must go – english teacher meeting – three blogs this week for ya’ll – enjoy the day off

mafeld

18 thoughts on “the joys of a new week when olive-a writes in…”

1. So yeah i mean last week was pretty fun besides the part of TESTS… Ha just kidding the tests were easy enough so back to this candy ads huh, what a cheap advertisement pick ha actually alot of people read the paper, none i know but… JK (creative)

Swimming, swimming, swimming, and thats all i could think. I was trying to get away. It was probably the scariest moment of my shark life ever. Oh im Ralphie by the way. I’m an Australian shark. I know what your thinking an Australian shark no way. But when my parents were just little lads evil aliens took them away from their homelands in the Pacific and droped them in the indian ocean. Somehow they ended up right here in autralia. Very good aliens, very rare, found my mum lying on the beach almost dead, but somehow they saved her and she had me at this resaerch facility. Life is good for me. My mum always tells me these stories of her life back in the pacific. They are always actiony. She knows i like sentences like that. But whenever shes talking i imagine myself in the pacfic right along side her.

Sincerley, Colby 🙂

2. Ok so I’m going to blog.
    I’m still reading The Teen’s Guide to World Domination.
    Its a long book about 400 pages long.
    I honestly don’t know how the author was able to write 400 pages of advice. The book is pretty amazing. It’s a really fun book too.
    The author has a sense of humor which makes the book really easy to read.
    (There are also some pictures)
    Everybody likes a big kid book with pictures.
    So anyways the author’s parents passed away when he was a kid and he lived in many different foster homes. He was a problem child and had many issues growing up.
    He had to go to jail for a year and then when he got released he realized that he had to change and that he didn’t want to be a bad guy.
    He changed and now he’s a speaker for schools and stuff that goes around telling people his story.
    It’s a really good book and I like it a lot.

Ok that’s all
    -Julie

3. Those tests were really easy. The only hard one was yours. Fisrt blog in a week.

I am reading a book called a long walk to water and it’s basically like two stories in one book. In one story a girls named Nya lives in a deserty type landscape with a little bit of vegitation. Every day she has to walk half a day to find water and half a day to get back. One day two white men from another country come to drill a well so that no one has to walk so far to find water.
    In the other story a young boy in southern Sudan is growing up during the war. His tribe gets attacked while he is at school and his teacher tells them to run because if they get caught they will be forced to fight. At this time Salva doesn’t know where any of his family is and he is just with a group of strangers that are mostly boys and men.

Trent

4. so I am reading The second book in the Daniel X series.
    Authors purpose
    The authors purpose is to entertain you adults. This book is written into a style of comic books. Kids enjoy it better because it has pictures so they can get the gist of what they are talking about. Good readers don’t need pictures because they have a wide imagination. They like to find themselves over-learning. This book is all about aliens and mutants that stalk the shadows of the night. Watching and waiting to make their move. A real suspense that keeps you reading. You don’t want to put the book down. In each chapter it leaves you on the edge and so excited you absolutely have to read more.
    Mimi

5. Alright trent you can quit bragging (haha jk all the tests were easy) (POV)

So i’m reading Narnia its one of my favorite classic tales. I have seen the movire probably 20 or so times. I love the fight sence. The way it starts off is truly amazing i dont know how they did it. If it was real that must have hurt. Oh yeah the sence starts off with a white chgeta jumping and then getting run into by a regularly colored chetta. It was turly amazaing tome. But back to the book the POV starts off at a little girl. She has been living in this boring neighbor hood with no other children to play with. Then comes along a boy who has to live with her mean grandparents, because her parents are on a crusie.

6. Second blog out of three. Ireally enjoyed your class today and The Cay is the best book ever. Very sad and touching 🙁 but still good!
    Shift
    Daniel, all alone, walking what used to be his world. Filled with his people instead of blood-sucking monsters. It is his only chance. Yes or no? He picks yes and runs so fast he is a blur. Ergent Seth is hot o his trail. Echo’s bounce off the walls as Daniel is running and hiding in creases and caves. He runs into a blond haired kid, Bem. Bem takes him to his and his 4 year old sister’s house. She keeps saying “take me, take me!!” and so they go. Off into the ruins of a once beautiful place. All Daniel can think about is how he finally found his people. How he isn’t alone anymore. This time around, they are real people. But can he trust them?
    Mimi :p

7. Salva traveles with the men and boys for a while. One day he wakes up and the group had left him behind. He finds this house with a lady living in it and the lady is from his tribe. She lets him stay with her for while until the fighting gets close and she makes him leave. He finds another group and joins it. Every day he searches all of the new people for his family. One day he finds his uncle who was fighting in the war. He makes a friend and he’s finally starting to accept that his parents are dead. Just when he thinks that it’s normal. His friend gets eaten by a tiger and he is sad because he only has his uncle who is the leader of the group and can’t talk much.
    Nya is really happy when she sees the first water shoot up out of the ground. Now she doesn’t have to walk very far to find water. That’s all until tomorrow.

Trent

8. not many blogers this year o well im the fourth and fith maybe anyways i want to blog for creative. well i will go fifteen minutes on how it was to be a slave well i think that you would be half starving before you got your meal and drink of water and be wanting to get dome with the work in the field and cooking that it would be easier the farther you stay there but if you escape than you get lucky to to find a place to sleep it was like escaping from federal prison and a man search for you and then you had a chance to get turned in and get whopped in the back by the whip and then maybe be hung. you see how bad slavery was now put yourself in their shows…

9. Last week of football season, so song of today is The Boys of Fall by Kenny Chesney. left off with Slughorn giving Dumbledore the heavily modified memory, and dumbledore assigning harry to get the real memory. Harry, in Potions next morning, impresses Sluggy by using a beozar as an antidote for potions. He then asks about Horcruxes afterward, attempting to get the momory. Slughorn avoids harry at all costs to prevent this. Harry, Ron, and Hermione all go to Apparition practice in the Great Hall, where the enchantment that prevents Disapparition and Apparition has been temporarily lifted. Hermoine suceeds on her second try, but she’s the only one who accomplishes this in the alloted time period. Harry dashes back to
    the dormitory to check the Maurader’s Map for Draco. Draco appears then,
    but in the subsequent attemps, Draco is not on the map at all. Ron’s birthday comes, and he eats some firewhiskey-filled chocolate cauldrons that were spiked with love potion (Romilda Vane gave them to harry during christmas, so he shoved them into his trunk) Harry rushes him to Sluggy who whips up an antidote. He opens some oak matured mead that he was planning to give to Dumbledore during Christmas. Ron sips his, then rises into the air, foaming at the mouth. harry grabs a beozar and gives it to ron. He is rushed to the hospital wing, where ginny hypothesises that the poisoned mead was meant to be given to dumbledore. Cormac McLaggen
    approaches harry, who lets him on the quidditch team to replace ron. When harry approaches the pitch, he sees Draco with two girls going in the opposite direction. Harry decides not to follow them. cormac starts telling everyone how to do their jobs, so harry tells him off. He gets blindsided by a bludger which cracks his skull (ow.) He wakes up in the hospital wing, where he is informed that Gryffindor was dominated. He summons Kreacher (who was sent to work for hogwarts at the beginning of the book) who appears with Dobby, the best elf in existence. He sends them to follow Draco around the school and makes sure to inform Kreacher not to tell Draco he is being tailed. That’s three journals, now im going to sleep. G’night!

10. Hey dr m!

Pov of bystander- these children need to be out of this savage home and environment. Hanging out with a putrid murderer and a horrible home to live in! Well! After decades of gangs and crews forming I byfar believe that this is one of the lesser crews. Why I am saying this I’ve yet to realize, while in all of this time I could be reporting them to the police, and instead of communicating to you what is happening, I can also report them to the police…wait…

11. So i think it would be fun if we could like not go to school tommorw thats the best idea in the world (i wish!) so im gonna do a (alternate ending)

So the ending tio my creative earlirer i didnt quite gte to what i wanted to but heres how im going to change the ending… Whenever she tells me the stories i feel connected and i really wish my dad was here. I dont know why he left he was so nice to my mom, or so she says. I mean he stayed long enough for her to have me but no he couldnt stay to help raise me. My mom is really mad at him but she takes her anger out on hunting. She has so much to eat tonight it isn’t even funny. So i asked mom if two of my friends, Sylvia and Trent, could come eat with us. She said of course so we all had a hardy meal.

12. Finished my book. It was short compared to the other BOB books.

When Salva is walking through the desert which is the hardest part of their journey he doesn’t think he can make it. His uncle helps him by saying “Just walk to that rock. Now just walk to that bush.” and stuff like that. It helps and he gets there. The next day they find a bird and it’s dead. They start to cook it and soliders come up. They tie up uncle and take the bird. They even take some water and clothes. Before they leave they shoot uncle with his own gun. That makes Salva really sad and mad. They get to the refugee camp and they stay there for six years. Then Salva is 20 and some soliders kick everyone out of the camp. A lot of people die and some get eaten by aligators trying to cross the Nile. Salva makes it and leads a group of boys to another camp. That’s all until tomorrow.

Trent

13. I just got back from band practice. I’m ready for the game tomorrow and I think it will be a lot of fun. The whole band is marching in The Pink Out shirts and so is the other team.
    I’m still reading The Teen’s Guide to World Domination.. I think I’m reading in slow motion or something because this book NEVER Ends.
    I’ve been reading it every night but it doesnt feel like I’ve gotten that far.
    So in the book The author talks about different villians and what they represent.
    He talks about ghosts who are memories that haunt you, or that voice inside your head that makes me you give up and make you think you can’t accomplish anything.
    Then you have vampires… Who at first you can’t tell they are villians but they act like they like you then they manipulate you and try to get you to be like them.
    Then you have zombies who are the friends you have who are always down in the dumps and complain about everything. Zombies are the people that can’t appreciate anything in life.
    Next you have your pirates, Who take things from you..
    Then you have robots. Robots are parents who want you to be like them and follow in their footsteps. One example the author gave was he said that if someone had parents who were lawyers and they wanted their kid to be a lawyer they were robots and they were trying to take over their kid’s life instead of them letting their kid make there own decision.

The author makes many references to the villians in his story and he talks about how you can beat them. So that your life will be awesome.

I’m determined to finish the book tonight. I will.
    That’s all.
    -Julie

14. Last blog of the week.
    Creative
    It was a normal day at Columbiana Middle. Moaning and groaning kids walking slowly to their homerooms. Everyone is thinking the same thing. Another day full of drama. By the way, i’m Jordan, with a short self-esteem and 12 years old in seventh grade. Now that you know a little bit about me I will show you my life. Two loving parent, Janey and Jesse blue, at home. At school I have all of my classes with the rich drama queen, Pink Rink. Every girl hates her. She spreads lies and will find a way to ruin your life. Like last year, she told the whole school that I went out with the biggest nerd ever, Albert Rufus. If you haven’t noticed yet, my life is full of drama and hatred. By the way, if you are a boy reading this, then you are probably board out of your mind. I’m sure I will live but I have to have someone to rant and rave about to. Since these are my problems, I will just shut my mouth and get started on my math homework.
    Mimi 🙂

15. Ok so I didn’t realize that i would be blogging until tonight. Sitting outside on my grandmother’s front porch because she dosen’t have a back one. Hope you don’t mind Mr. Mayfield putting 3 blogs in one post.

Tuesday (Creative)
    So there are these 2 dectives and they are walking through a forest. The stop at a log cabin thinking that there is a guy in here they want to arrest. The door is locked so they thin PERFECT sighn 1. So the open the door with a crobar. How smart? They barge in and here is a man helping this old lady do arobics. The detective thinks how nice two people dressed up in leotards do arobics together. The other one stops and thinks how lame two dorks dressed up in leotards doing excersices together. The mom and son feed them and they find out it’s not him and leave. The find another logcabin in the woods and start to pry it open just like the last.
    TO BE CONTINUED………………………

Wed. (Author’s Pourpose)
    So i am reading the postcard. It is a really good book. The author’s pourpose is to entertain. This boy named Jason’s grandmother dies and so he has to go to Florida. He dosen’t wan to go to Florida. But his mom says he has too. Sohe does. Now he thinks that his parents might be splitting up. From what i have read of the book the boy who put all this in his head is his best friend. So I can’t wait to see what happens next because this book is really really good.

Thursday (pointof view shift)
    Still reading the postcard.I will be taking the point of view of Ray Jason’s dad. Ok so my boy Jason is coming down to florida with me. The reason being because my mother just died. I hate that happened. I hate when people die because it makes me sad so this is my mom and it makes me sad. I really hate not having ma around but she is in a good place now. So everthing is going to be alright.

thanks a million
    joci

16. Tuesday

I have been reading the book taken at my house here lately. its about a girl who is kidnapped by a group of hispanic paramedics. She flashes back many times to happy times. she even had classes back in her school about kidnapping because there were so many. she lived in the safest neighborhood in the usa and still got napped as she would call it.

Wednesday

i think that the reasoning of this book was to tell the reader to always be prepared. dont go into anyones car if you dont know them. if an ambulance comes make sure that your mom, dad, or guardian goes with you. make sure to check the ambulance’s personel license. remember to alwyas be prepared and never ever go into an ambulance. tell the driver that you want to ride with your parent. also, if an ambulance comes to your house for no reason and says that they got a phone call that the girl is sick, this is for you parents, dont let em go.

Thursday

i think that this book compares pretty well to the movie taken. who knows if they made the book or movie about one or the other. they both have basically the same plot. plot is the things that happen in a story. i saw the movie and the girl is kidnapped at the beginning. its the same for the book. but the story in the movie is told from the dad and the book is told from the girl. in the book the girls dad is hardly ever home but in movie the dad takes action and saves the girl. the thing the story is about is being kidnapped and they both have that in common.

17. Ok so hey. I’m very late on these blogs and I am kind of in a perdiciment. I have been reading Octavian Nothing at my house, but I left it at school, and it’s pretty hard to keep up with it. And we are moving so all of my books are packed up, and i have to do 3 blogs. So I will try my best.
    Monday- I’m going to talk about Octavian Nothing. Well it is probally the hardest and most challenging book I have ever read. That is why I like it so much, because my vocabulary seems to grow with every sentence. It uses great philisophical detail, and shows a different side to these stories. It seems to bring a twist to this historical story, which will mess with your mind. It takes a while to actually understand what he may be talking about because of the large amount of complex words being thrown into this great story.
    Tuesday- Ok so in the beginning of this story it starts of explaining where Octaviann lives and the people he lives with. He lives with his mother and tons of philosiphers, proffesors, and artists. They live in a large mansion with fields and slaves. Everyone is named by numbers like the master of the mansion. He is known as 03-01 because he is the member of the third most important family and is the first in his family. Octavian and his mother are the only people that are named with ….names. This place is very observational.
    Wedensday- This is the College of Ludicity, and here Octavian and his mother came from a country in Africa where they were brought to Boston. They were brought by 03-01, to experiment and see if this pregnant women(Octavian’s Mom) and see if the baby she haves can be domesticated or taught in different ways. In other words he wants to see if he can teach this child how to be educated despite the fact of his skin color. So this is the kisd known as Octavian, and ever since he was born these philosiphers and scientists would conduct experiments and record his every move. For most of the story he just talks about the times he had in this place, and the sights he has seen.

18. journal
    Alternative Beginning to the book of Genesis
    One morning God woke up and looked around. He was really bored. So he decided to create a new planet. He called it Earth and gave it creatures of all kind, water, breathable air, and life-sustaing conditions. Then he decided that all of this beauty needed a supreme being to watch over, since God had many other things to do. He created a male man and called it Adam. But Adam soon became lonely. He asked God why all the animals could mate and he could not. So God put Adam in a deep sleep and pulled out one of his ribbones. He used this to create a woman( a female man). Adam told her that her name was Eve. And for a while, they were happy. They were also naked, but they did not care.