one week left so give me your best shot…

yes, one week until your gifted final (oh, yes, the final is gifted…) – so last set of journals this week – try not to cry as you type…

“Lincoln, Inc.” – book about how Honest Abe has been marketed, used, through the years – fits nicely with a poll i saw this week that has Lincoln ahead of Christ as “most favorable opinion” in wisconsin – people do love lincoln – at least, what they make of him – the book was mysteriously labeled under YA so i thought i might get it on the BOB list – but it’s a bit too dry for you guys…

“Graceling” – finished while i was stuck for 2 hours on the road to atl in traffic – decent read – not fired up to read “Fire” or the one that will followΒ – pretty obvious that the author wanted a strong female lead and cast for the story – which is fine – not sure how believable or entertaining the whole thing was – nice image of a king with a knife in his throat at the end – of course, he’s supposed to abuse kids so it’s okay…

“inside out and back again” – definitely should be a BOB next year in my opinion – saw that it won an award and picked it up this week from the public library – free verse read so it’s like “out of the dust” – good story about fitting into a different culture – moreover, about how to find your place in your family – and at a school – the tie-in to alabama made it extra cool

okay, time to post and get ready to help photographers for the championship game…

mafeld

30 thoughts on “one week left so give me your best shot…”

1. Hey, Mr.Mafield, i am still reading ‘Ulysses S. Grant, The Unlikely Hero.’
    Ulysses served two terms in office as the president, all he really wanted was peace between the North and the South. Ulysses spent numerous amounts of time planning, basically plotting his war strategys and plans. Ulysses made sure he, and his troops, were prepared for the war they were about to face. I belive, from the resources in this book, that Ulysses new somehow they were going to win this way. Though Ulysses didn’t really believe in war but belived in peace, I believe he knew what had to be done.
    Dec. 4,2011

2. Ok, Mr.Mayfield, more make up.
    I will be doing a scamper on my book, Ulysses S. Grant.
    S-Grant Seemed Rumply,Uneasy and top-heavy.
    C-Grant looked rumpled,unconfertably, then he went home, to his new home.
    A-He went home, to his new house, the White House.
    M-He went to his house, his brand new home, wich was at the White House.
    P-“He Went Home” on a sign as your leaving a busy town, as in Los Vegas ect.
    E-He went to his new home.
    R-To his new home he went, in D.C. it was.

Sentences- 1.Grant looked Rumpled,uncompfertable, and Top-Heavy.
    2. He went home, to his new house in D.C..
    Dec. 4,2011

3. Creative, Mr.Mayfireld, Some more make up!
    All the colors, beautiful as can be, everyone adores me. they also try to find me, thats my ‘End’ of course. I shine rarely, on certain occasions, after rain, then shine. I am beautiful, i am drawn and colored on paper and canvas. I am given a name, Roy G. Biv, this name is fake it is to remember my colors, them shinging so bright, right down from the heavens colorless only at night. All the colors, beautiful as can be.
    ~RAINBOW~

4. Hey,
    Luke says hey πŸ™‚ we’re in BTA
    In English we just finished Romeo and Juliet

so this is a note of praise to you, because you went over Shakespeare so thoroughly that most of my class understands πŸ™‚ I hadn’t read Romeo and Juliett yet, and I find it to be quite humorous. I mean come on! It’s like both of them drank a bottle of insta-love. It was soooo funny. Followed by then consuming a dangerous poison. I mean those parents suffered from skizofrenia. Well, anyway, that’s all I’m saying today, so see ya!

Olive-A

5. Pov of Al- I thought that having an ancient sword that can kill anything it see and or touches. But this monks don’t seem to want me to have this. I wonder why it’s under watch by a group of “sword” wielding monks. I would expect them to be a lot more technologically established to be protecting this extremely awesome sword. Well, we finally left, and are on our way to the secret rendezvous point.

Gotta go check on someone now, by Dr. Roy!!!

6. soapstone

s-elizabeth
    o-anjali is a puppet
    a-7th and 8th graders who like magic
    p-watch your actions
    s-magic
    t-curious
    o
    n
    e

7. Well, I’m back to blogging and I have to say, it feels strange… πŸ™‚ but good, I like my little blogging family
    Okay, so, first off – Roll TIDE!!! We’re going to the BCS, so you Auburn people, stop Hatin’, you had your year, now we’ll have ours… Again πŸ™‚ and shouldn’t you support us? Since it’s good for the state, at least, thats what y’all told us last year (I didn’t listen, I cheered for Oregon)
    Secondly, I love GRACELING! And you should too πŸ™‚ everyone must love Po!
    And Peeta, and Patch (Which, btw, Mafeld, is your next book: Hush, Hush) and Edward (ordered my t shirt today)

I’m reading Moon over Manifest…. pretty good read

Mon.- So, she moves to Manifest because her dad works on the railroad… She goes to live with the preacher in Manifest named Shady. Gideon (her dad) used to stay there, and she tries to find any clue about him that she can everywhere she looks… She makes friends with two girls and they go on a spying adventure and hunt around in the graveyard

I think it’s a cute book, not my favorite, but okay πŸ™‚

-St K
    -when the moon is blue, the clock strikes noon

8. Haven’t blogged in two weeks

I’m still reading The Grimm Legacy by Polly Shulman. During the interview Elizabeth has to sort buttons. She thought that it would be really boring like they normally were but she had to sort buttons. To her it was fun and relaxing. Doc even let her keep a button that matched the missing one on her shirt. She didn’t know it at the time but it was a magical button. She got the job after she sorted the buttons into groups. She sorted them by color, shape, material etc. Doc even gave her a zipper and asked what group she would put it in. She put it into the metals group. Doc also asked her if she did the dishes at home. After she said yes, he asked her if she ever broke any. She said no because she didn’t. When she got to her first shift she met Anjali who was an Indian page. She also got to know Marc a little better. He said Hi to her in the school hallway and she flipped out . That’s all until tomorrow when I blog again.

Trent

9. Oh Boy.. It feels so weird to be blogging again…
    Nanowrimo was fun this year… So far I have 16,000 words and I’m not even halfway through with my story yet So I’m working as fast as possible to get it finished in time.
    Well I have actually read a lot since I stopped blogging. So I’ll make a list of the books I’ve read the past few months.
    I had gotten the book The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern which is amazing.
    I requested it for my birthday and I hadn’t had enough time to read until about a month after I had gotten it.
    The Night Circus is one of the greatest books I have ever read in my entire life.
    In the book, the timeline switches around like crazy. So you’ll have something that takes place in 1849 then you’ll zoom ahead to 1901 most of the book however takes place in the 19th century.
    It’s about these two dueling magicians at a circle. And the only way one of the magicians can win the duel is if the other one dies.
    But the two magicians fall in love… So that complicates things a bit.

I’ve got my brother reading The Night Circus now. He sees he loves it and that it’s amazing.

While I was nanowrimoing.. I read the book The City of Thieves. It was a very good book… But very depressing. I’ve never really been a fan of historical fiction but the book was good. It’s a book about World War 1. It’s not so much about the war as it is about the 2 thieves.

Also, I read the book Princess in Pink…..
    It was stupid.

Then I started reading the book Lady of the Rivers… It was like The night Circus with a messed up timeline. It was good but not quite as good as The Night Circus.

Then of course I decided to re-read the Hunger Games. I read the Hunger Games in 2 days, Catching Fire in 2 days, and I’m on Mockingjay right now.

I hadn’t realized how many books I’ve read over the past few months until now.. I’ve done well.
    Whoop Whoop….
    That’s all -Julie

10. I’m now reading moon over manifest by Clare vanderpool. The main character is Abilene Tucker, if the lov were changed then we would not Here much of anything about abilene’s trip to manifest. If the pov were changed to one of the kids in abilene’s class then we wouldn’t know about her father or the box and what goes on at shady’s

11. Almost my birthday

When Elizabeth went to her first shift at the repository Doc (Who I know is Dr. Rust but they call him Doc so so will I) was busy so Ms. Callender showed her what level she was supposed to be on. Aaron showed her how to run a call slip. She thought at first that Aaron was going to be a big jerk but it turned out that he just loved his job and took it seriously. It took her a while but eventually Elizabeth got it right. After that she was really good at it and before she knew it , it was time for her break. Anjali showed her around a little bit and introduced her to some of the people that came in alot. People kept talking about The Grimm Collection but no one would tell her what it was. There was also a rumor about a missing page and a giant bird. Everyone was really scared. I would have been too if there was a giant stalker bird. That’s all until tomorrow.

Trent

12. Almost my birthday

Trent

13. It’s kind of weird to be blogging. I almost forgot that I had to do journals this week! Anyway, I’m reading….wait for it……. THAT BOOK OF PERFECTLY USELESS INFORMATION! (yes, it’s a real book.) It’s title is perfect because it’s really full of perfectly useless information, like, elephants & humans are the only mammles that can stand on thier head. I really like this book because it’s funny. “Never underestimate the power of funny” – James Patterson.
    This book has over 200 pages, so it’s also a book to put on a reading log. I usually don’t like nonfiction, but because this book is so pointless, I really enjoy it! πŸ˜€

14. Alright, blogging time πŸ™‚
    *wiggly eyebrows*
    I finished writing an extra credit so try for math… You know how hard it is to think of a story to write about math? not too hard πŸ™‚ it’s a spoof off of twilight

Moon over Manifest

Tues.- So Abilene is still trying to find some sort of connection to her dad, so she goes to the diviners house to retrieve her compass. She then accidentally breaks Miss Sadie’s pot and has to work for her to pay off her dues. Miss Sadie makes her do weird stuff like dug in dry dirt where nothing can grow, but tells her stories of two boys in a letter she found… Where I left off she was anxious about trying to find out what happened in the next events of the two boys lives… She also frequently goes on spy adventures…

Still a cute book πŸ™‚

-St K
    -when the moon is blue, the clock strikes noon (isn’t it amazing how I still remember that???)

15. i am going to do 2 blogs on this page and i am doing both soapstones on the same book. The 2nd book of elsewhere.
    S-olive dunwoody
    O-olive went to go ask horatio if he would take her to visit morton.
    A-the reader
    P-she had not seen him in a few months and whated to see how he was doing.
    S-horatio was to lazy to get up so she went to the basement to go ask leopold.
    T-suspicious-where is harvey?
    o
    n
    e

Blog#2
    S-olive dunwoody
    O-olive went to search for the 3rd cat that lives with them that is named Harvey.
    A-the reader
    P-leopold would not take her to visit morton.
    S-when she found harvey he was covered in green paint.
    T-suspicious- harvey was no where to be seen and he had not been seen in a while.
    o
    n
    e

16. Moon over manifest is actually a really sweet book compared to the boring on I thought I would suffer through I am now gliding through it. Abilene and her two newly found friends were in her
    Treehouse when they found out about the rattler. Duh dunh duuuuuh. πŸ™‚
    After going on spy missions they return home after a long day in the woods. Once Abilene is in bed she realizes she doesn’t have her fathers old compas(oh yes, the absolutely most convenient time right?) (:
    So abalone goes in search of the lost compas, after looking in the graveyard, she follows the sound of twinkling and finds her compas hanging up with about 20 others. After going to reach for it while standing on a pot someone stands up from the rocking chair. (ooooo scary) (:
    Well that’s all folks (~porky pig~)

17. My computer is really messed up

After Anjali showed her around Elizabeth went home. Sh was really confused about the rumors and The Grimm Collection but she was also really excited about telling her dad about the repository. When Elizabeth was a kid (before he got remarried and before Elizabeth’s mon died) they would go to a museum every weekend. They would normally go to the small museums so they had never been to the museum that Elizabeth works at. The next day at school Elizabeth’s teacher asked her how her new job was. She said it was fun and that she was looking forward to going back. That would be a cool job. You get to touch artifacts that would be off~limits to the normal public. I would work at that job for almost free. Wouldn’t you? That’s all until I blog again tomorrow.

Trent

18. The author clearly intended to entertain the audience, but by doing this he also created a hidden moral within his story. It’s shwoing how if you get caught up with the bad group of people than you will end up just like them. In this case though Alfred had no choice on which group he would be associated with. It leads to bad things and Alfred can’t seem to keep his life on track. This is exactly how you will turn out if you get involved with the wrong group. I dont think the world will end, but you get my point.

19. hey mr mayfield i am going to hurry and do a soapstone on the 2nd book of elsewhere bc me my mom and some other teachers at ses are going to the scholastic book wharehouse tonight and i am hoping to bring back some books that i will enjoy.
    S-olive dunwoody
    O-olive was sitting on the branch of a tree with harvey in her backyard.
    A-the reader.
    P-harvey said that there was something intruding in our nieghbors yard.
    S-in the nieghbors yard, this is a strange boy with a dragon t-shirt on that they have never seen before.
    T-frightened-was harvey right? is there something suspicious about the new boy????????
    o
    n
    e

20. Ok, So I’m blogging about Mockingjay for 5 minutes.
    I like Mockingjay fine but it’s my least favorite of the trilogy.
    I just got to the part in Mockingjay where Finnick got killed by the creepy alligator reptilian things.
    Finnick was my second favorite character.
    My first favorite was Cinna.
    I read the part where Finnick died in Lickwala’s class. I started crying and I looked like I was having an emotional breakdown….
    But it was very sad.
    So Katniss and “The crew” were underground in the sewer’s of the capitol when they saw the creepy reptilian animals.
    They never say what they are supposed to be but I think of Alligators when I hear the description.
    Finnick got killed. And so did Leeg 1… even though you don’t hear much about her. Everyone got away except for those 2.
    They blew up the sewers and then ran away.
    Okay, That’s all
    -Julie

21. Sorry, I am so late on my blogs Mr.Mayfield. We have been really busy moving in to our new house.

Monday- So I was going through my “library”, and i looked on one of my favorite books, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. So I really like this book because it takes something I would proball never read, and it changes it in to something that I would definentley read. It is also really unusual because it combines to completley different elements and it makes in to a great book. It combines Zombies and Romance, which makes this book like a really big oxymoron that makes sense. I love how different it is compared to other books so I decided to read through it again.
    Tuesday- So it starts out with the Benetts family. They live in an estate with 5 kids, Elizabeth, Jane, Lydia, Charoolette, and Catherine. They were all caught in the middle of a huge, strange plague that brought the dead back to life. The father of the children was huge in the deadly arts, so day after day he was training them to fight the undead and exterminat them. This would mean then were very keen with the killing of zombies. But there mother had other plans for them. Like any mother, she wanted to see her children to grow up, and have a healthy relationship, this is why she trained her children also in the ways of beauty. These two things are a perfect combination for women.
    Wedensday- Like the caring mother she was, she found a man that she thought they would most definently be interested in. His name was Mr.Bingley. She said he had coome all the way from Netherfield with 4 others as they were being chased by zombies. She said that the man was perfect for them and that he was extremely rich. She planned a ball for all of them so they could mett and Bingley could see which one of the daughters he saw most pleasing. They wanted to meet him as soon as he came, but Mr.Bennett would not have it. On the inside he really did want to meet him, so early in the morning he snuck out and had breakfast with the man.
    Thursday- Mr.Bennett came back, and acted as if nothing had happened, but Mrs.Bennett asked where he had gone, so he told her and she was so delighted to hear that she did take some interest in this man. They all planned to meet at the next ball. So the time came whe the ball was set to go. They all arrived and socialized with the people that had escaped. There was Mr.Bingleys two sisters, his friend Mr.Darcy, and one other guy whom they did no mention in the story. They all starting judging one another, and they came to an agreement that Mr.Darct was very rude and mean but he was the best looking. Mr.Bingley was very nice and everyone seemed to like him, he was also very good looking. And then groans were heard outside the ball room and glass windows shattered.

22. Was sitting around and realized, hey, I need to blog πŸ™‚
    I guess you could call it an epiphany
    And to Julie…. I cried when Finnick died too, in Coach Muse’s history. I cried when Peeta got beat up too by the peace keepers πŸ™ so sad….

Still blogging on Moon over Manifest

Wed.- I think my favorite parts of this book are the letters from war… They’re really interested. I wish it would incorporate more about WW 1 though, because that’s hands down the most interesting war to me. So, anyway, Sadie still works at Miss Sadie’s house to pay off her pot-breaking. Her life outside of there is relatively boring. She doesn’t do much but hang out with Lettie and Ruthanne. They go on spy hunts.
    Thurs.- So, my favorite parts of the book (besides the war letters, which are seldom) are the stories Miss Sadie tells from Jinx POV and they are about his adventures as a young boy… I never realized that he was actually older (like, a older teen, eighteen or seventeen). So Jinx ends up coming up with a grand scheme about how to convince everyone they are sick so the people leave that they don’t want there… And maf, is it the Spanish Influenza that broke out 1918ish that killed a bunch of people, because I remember in Twilight Edward was saying he was dying of the Spanish Influenza specifically, not just influenza? So would it be the same? Cause Edward was dying when he was changed around that same time…

Alright. I be done πŸ™‚

-St K

23. wel mr mayfield im doin 20 mins.

mon- while on the way home sadie looks back and sees the entire city on fire from the scroll. after they get they look at the news and see that the mortals are calling it a sewage leak. so bast (the goddes of cats and also sadies pet) works on the scroll and gets it off of sadie.

tues- so they take the student to the infirmery of the mansion and find out that she is in a comma. in the morning sadie wakes up and the book tells us that it is her birthday. she goes down stairs and eats breakfast. she talks to carter about going to london to hang out wth her friends.

weds-carter and sadie have a big argument about how it is to dangerouse to leave.then their uncle(also a magician) buts in and takes carters side. sadie defends herself by saying that she needs a day to herself. so carter and their uncle amos let her go.

thurs-sadie goes to her room and starts to pack. walt(the boy from the museum that she likes) comes in and hands her a magical amulet. he doesnt tell her what it does but she takes it and walt walks out. sadie heads to the roof of her house and makes a portal and leaves

24. Just finished mine and EJ’s and Jesse’s science fair project

Creative-I’m starting a new story because I don’t like the old one. Now I’m doing a realistic fiction story from a dog’s point of view. I always have to beg. Humans never give us strays table scraps because they don’t want us to come back. You see, three years ago my owners got really mad at me for always running away but I don’t see why. I always came back when they called me. So anyways for three years I’ve been begging for food and trying to find shelter from the harsh rain. Here in New York City, New York I thought I would be in better shape and that maybe, if I got lucky, I would find a loving family. The city where dreams come true is also the city where dreams get crushed. I came from a little city called Menton, New York. That’s about twenty miles from here. After an eternity I finally saw the big sign that says “Welcome To New York City” or at least that’s what I think it said because I can’t read. My new best friend, Spike , a dovermin stray just like me, lets me stay with him is his dumpster when it rains. That’s all for this week.

Trent

25. in moon over manifest…
    abilene went looking for her lost compas the next day, she went to mrs. saddie’s in hopes she might not be there and abilene could knick her compas back. unfortunatley when she went there she walked in through the door and mrs. saddie wanted to give her fortune. mrs. saddie asked abilene what she was looking for abilene suddenly said her dad instead of her compas. abilene gives mrs saddie the letter from the box and she gives an actual fortune about the two people who wrote the letters. abilene decided if she came up with some silly story about her dad she would not believe her, well making a story about the letter she gave her doesnt mean she’s a phony, but abilene still didnt believe her. she started walking towards the door to leave when mrs sadie made a deal. abilene would do some ‘odd’ jobs (well makes sense, ‘odd’ woman = ‘odd’ jobs!) (: for her since she broke her pot and then she would get her compas back. abilene agreed but still didnt believe her, her doubts, however, were changed when mrs saddie referred that abilene wouldnt be able to pay for the broken pot with the broken pot with the one coin in her pocket, abilene hadnt told her about.

26. Song of today shall be black dahlia by Hollywood undead. Read something more serious than percy Jackson, 1984 by George Orwell. (btw, this is an alternate-universe 1984) We start with Winston Smith entering Victory Mansions, which smells like boiled cabbage and old rags. He walks directly past the elevators, which rarely work, and climbs up the seven floors to his apartment. Before he opens his door, he glances at the poster of Big Brother, the savior of Oceania. The telescreen (television with webcam) is listing figures about the production of pig iron as Winston gazes out of the window at a helicopter. Police Patrol doesn’t matter, only the Thought Police who watch all of your actions. He sees the Ministry of Truth/Minitrue, complete with the three slogans of the party: War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, and Ignorance is Strength. The Ministry of Truth dealt with news, entertainment, education and the fine arts. The Ministry of Peace, or Minipax, worked on war. The Ministry of Love/Miniluv handles law and order, and the Ministry of Plenty or Miniplenty watched distribution. Winston pulls out a packet of Victory Cigarettes and picks one out, holding it upright and watching the tobacco fall out. The next one was more tightly packed, so he walked to the alclove, the only place the telescreen couldn’t see, and opened the drawer there. Inside was a book with a red cover, creamy white pages, and a marble back. He pulled that out and grabbed an old-fashioned pen, which he used because an old book needed an old pen. He wrote breifly about a war movie he saw last night, when it hit him that he was writing to the future. Either the future would be no different than the present, in which the book is useless, or the future is extremely different, in which his predicament is useless. he recalled the earlier Two Minutes Hate, in which the Party tried to use all forms of propoganda to dishonor the Party’s nemisis, Emmanuel Goldstein. during this hate, winston found that his rage could be transferred to anyone, including the dark-headed woman that worked in his cubicle, the one that was the most obvious Thought-police member. Snapping out of his memory, he realized that he wrote in neat capitals acrioss the page: DOWN WITH BIG BROTHER. He panicked after a quick knock on the door, fearing the thought-police, but it was just Mrs. Parson. All titles were supposed to be replaced with comrade, but to some you couldn’t help assign the use of Mrs. or Mr. Mrs. Parsons needed help clearing her drain, so Winston walked over and looked for a spanner (unblocking tool). her children busted the door open,spanner in hand, and demanded to see the hanging taking place in the park. Winston cleared the drain and left, but the boy, about nine, shot him in the back of the head with a toy catapult. He walked back to his apartment, still thinking of the brats that called themselves the Spies and listened at doorknobs and would turn you over in a second. GTG!

27. Monday

I have been reading the book, taken. its about a girl who is kidnapped by a group paramedics. She flashes back many times to happy times. she even had classes back in her school about kidnapping because there were so many. she lived in the safest neighborhood in the usa and still got kidnapped as she would call it.

Tuesday

Dear taken girl(your name is never mentioned),
    As always i put myself in your position and talk. If i were you i wouldnt care if i got shot leaving the ambulance. You knw that they probably wont do anything because if they do the deal will be off and they dont get money. also, how many people can an ambulance hold five or six. there’s not that many so i would atleast make a break for it. if they shoot you, they shoot you. theyre not going to make you suffer so it will either be a one shot one kill or they just dont shoot at all. boo yah. i may have just saved the day for you. but theres still a whole lot of reading to be done so i will soon find out if you follow my advice.

Wednesday

i think that the reasoning of this book was to tell the reader to always be prepared. dont go into anyones car if you dont know them. if an ambulance comes make sure that your mom, dad, or guardian goes with you. make sure to check the ambulance’s personel license. remember to alwyas be prepared and never ever go into an ambulance. tell the driver that you want to ride with your parent. also, if an ambulance comes to your house for no reason and says that they got a phone call that the girl is sick, this is for you parents, dont let em go.

Thursday

i think that this book compares pretty well to the movie taken. who knows if they made the book or movie about one or the other. they both have basically the same plot. plot is the things that happen in a story. i saw the movie and the girl is kidnapped at the beginning. its the same for the book. but the story in the movie is told from the dad and the book is told from the girl. in the book the girls dad is hardly ever home but in movie the dad takes action and saves the girl. the thing the story is about is being kidnapped and they both have that in common.

28. 3rd blog-Bob jumped from the elephant, hoping that he could land on the platform that was positioned just a few feet in front him. his feet hit, but didn’t stick. Bob fell backwards and fell onto the ground he hoped to avoid. Vibrations struck through the ground and the vibration detecting serpents came out of their holes. Bob quickly grabbed hold of the Elephant, knowing that larger objects scare them away easier. The serpents quickly slithered back in their holes, but out came mama serpent, ohhh great.

29. S- Alfred
    O- Run from the cops.
    A- The reader and Bennacio
    P-To give foreshadowing and other looks into what will happen further into the story.
    T-
    o
    n
    e

30. S- Alfred
    O- Run from the cops.
    A- The reader and Bennacio
    T-Serious, with a bit of life threatening insight to possible happenings

o
    n
    e