yeah, that was me in the bama toboggan sledding through downtown b’ham…

two weeks until mercedes marathon…

for those of you curious, momma made it 13.1 miles today – super proud – my hero

(okay, those days that my hero isn’t julie – or st. k – then it’s my momma who runs super-far:)

“back to work” by clinton – yes, irony that a president who doesn’t work any more writes a book about work – in his defense, it’s less about working and more about what the republicans (tea party) are about to mess up unless the world listens to him:) anyway, i’m a political junkie so it was a good, entertaining read – in our current state of “anti-government” talk, it was a compelling case for why we need government (for like, oh, i don’t know, DECENT SCHOOLS!!!)

(like spain park high:)

“chicago: a biography” – an auburn library read – very exhaustive, 500 pages of tiny type – so it took me most of the week – great read though – particularly if you’re going there this fall to watch the Cubs win the Series (ha – really going up there to run the streets in the marathon – and now i’ll know something more about the city than i did in ’09)

“once in a lifetime” – another auburn library read (odd that both came from there – but it’s not like people are reading down there anyway – there are trees to protect!!!) 1930s time drama about a trio that go to hollywood and exploit the talking industry movies – someone had recommended it – was okay – the great part about a drama is that they read quick (well, shakespeare doesn’t – but all other dramas do:)

got the newberry winner up next – hope your journaling is great this week

mayfield

25 thoughts on “yeah, that was me in the bama toboggan sledding through downtown b’ham…”

1. hey mr mayfield, i am reading The Egyptian Box.
    it is about a girl nicknamed Tee that gets an egyption chin box. her sarcasm when she opened it disappointed me. for someone to do that is so rude. you are supposed to say thank you no matter if you like it or not. it is the polite thing to do.as she pulled out the egyptian figure she rolled her eyes and said,”oh, its a doll.i love it.” her great-uncle sebastian left them all presents when he left.

2. Well hey Mr. Mayfield:) I guess my blogs can’t keep up with my reading speed, because i’ve already finished Caching Fire( like a week ago) so I have just started on the book “Gone”. I started to read it a while back, but I didn’t even get halfway through it so I decided to read it and see why I put it down in the first place. So it is set in Perdidio Beach, California. So Sam Temple and his bestfriend Quinn are in class, and all of a sudden they are talking about the civil war and the next he’s not there. Everybody begins to murmur to people, and wondering what happened. Then everyone realizes that one of the students is missing as well. Josh. In the distance they hear car alarms go off, and Astrid Ellison (Or Astrid the genious) comes in and says that everyone in her math study group just dissapeared eexcept her.

3. So I am going to do this quick so I can work on my other USA Today home work.

Girl Barley 15 and Flirting fo Englanfd
    Ok so tonight is creative.

Okay so our next on Fox 6 News at 5:00 story is on the runaway seven year old. This little kid deecided he was going to drive a car and suceeded! It was crazy! Her mom said that she got up late this morning and her car was not there! So she went to go wake her daughter up and she wasn’t there either. She and her moms car were at the bus stop waiting to ge3t on the bus. Well I sure am glad that little girl is okay.

4. It’s Monday again.

That next week Doug and his mom had to go to Meet the Teacher at Doug’s new school. He hated it. Doug had to go to a classroom with people that all knew each other but he had no one to talk to. When the principal came in to talk to them he told them all the rules. One came up about the bathroom. The pricipal called on Doug for his name. Doug told him. After a while Doug started talking in third-person saying stuff like “Doug Swientek has to go to the bathroom right now.” That made the principal really mad and he immediently hated Doug. That is not the way you want to start off a year-on the principal’s bad side. That’s all for today.

Trent

5. so hey i am on Gone by Michael Grant and i left off as Astrid the genius cam in and said that the 2 pepole and the teacher in her math study group have dissapeared like the teacher and one student in there class. so everyone begins to worry when they hear the car alarms sojnding from down in the city. Sam, Astrid, and Quinn all go in the hallway as the 5th graders poke ther heads out to see what is going on. The school they are in is a school with all grades kindergarten through 9th grade. The highschool is an hour away. So they walk in to the hallway when they see the room where Astriids study group was. they could see where the teacher stopped in the middle of writing a word. Then they hear some screams coming from the hallway.

6. hey mr mayfield i am going to blog for 10 minutes on creative writing. well i think you should go anyways because theres nobody else going please come with me or send somebody. okay ill get someone to go is it okay if i get stephene to go or do i need to keep looking? No thats great ill see her there. well I’m back and got a date to the movies with the hottest girl in the school. I’m happy so ill catch up with you at school. hey all of you guys i just got to school and i have first block with stephene and ima just stop there

7. When Doug got to Ms. Whitmore’s house he was kind of scared because Lil had said “Beware of Ms. Whitmore” and stuff like that. He had to ring the doorbell three times for her to answer and when she did answer she told him to leave because “Creativity is a god that comes and goes but right now he’s here so come back later.” She shut the door and went back to typing. Doug had to go through the same thing but this time she just told him to put them up in the kitchen around back. Whe he got there the door was locked but there was a key under the mat. He used it to get in and when he was done he found out what room she was in by following the sound of her typing. He went in and she tried to put it on a tab but Doug wouldn’t let her because Mr. Spicer had told him not to. That’s all for today.

Trent

8. More of Hunger Games Story for my journals…

She walks in with the air of someone who thinks they own the world or something and sits down by the fire to warm herself. She grabs her knapsack, reaches in, and pulls out two cheeseburgers. She hands one to me, and I realize just how hungry I am. I tear into the burger and devour it before she even opens hers completely. She looks at me funny, and then she finishes hers.
    “What is your name?” I ask her. She doesn’t answer. I ask her over and over, again and again. She just looks at me and cocks her head to the side every time like she can’t hear me. Maybe she’s deaf. Or maybe she has a plan, a plan to kill me or help me. I hope it’s to help me.
    I walk over to the window and look out it. It’s a dull, dreary day and the only sounds are people walking, small murmurs of talking, and the occasional ring of a gunshot. Even though I expect the gunshots, they still make me jump every time I hear one of them.
    “Look behind the first dumpster on the left.” Her voice rings out cold and clear behind me. Her voice is so sudden that I nearly jump through the window. I turn and look at her. She’s standing straight up and is nearly six feet tall. She points at the window and tells me to look again. I stick my head out the window and look down the alleyway. Behind the first dumpster on the left is a little tent.
    “I’ve been living there for the past twenty years. I’m lucky to be alive. I’ve survived extreme cold, hunger, the Exceptionals (that’s the rich looking people), and the Guards. It’s an amazing feat,” she says to me. “My name is Christi Waterford. I’m your granddaughter. Don’t you remember me?”
    I stand there staring at her in shock and awe. I’m staring at my granddaughter. I just don’t believe it. Could it be? I see some resemblance; the eyes, the nose, the stature. She just might be who she says she is.
    “No,” I say. “I don’t’ remember you. I don’t remember anything. I’m not even sure what my name is, if it really is Kirk Waterford. So I’m sorry if you expect me to help you.”
    “I can help you,” she says. “Help you get your memory, help you destroy the cruel leaders of this country. Would you like to join me and bring down leaders that make Adolf Hitler and Joseph Stalin look like the nicest people in the world when combined?”
    “Yes,” I say. “Yes I would.”
    “Well then,” she says. “Here’s the plan. The Exceptionals are the rich and pure-blooded. Those that are poor, low-class, and not full in blood to the leaders are the ones that are herded down the streets. They are the Untouchables, the slaves to the Exceptionals.”

More to come 🙂

9. So hey Mr. Mayfield I’m on Gone and I left off as Quinn, Sam, and Astrid were in the math study room where Astrid’s teacher and math partners all dissapeared besides her. They hear a scream in the hallway and see that a giirl was scraming about how the phones weren’t working. Not even 911 was picking up the phine so everybody seemed to panic. The three of them rushed down to the teacher’s lounge to see if the TV was still working, but all they found was a lot of static and a radio that didn’t work. Then some 5th graders came in there and busted open the candy machine. The three of them left and decided to go to there houses and check on there families. So they head out on the street to find mass chaos. Cars and helpless kindergartners littered the streets, but no one was in the cars.

10. hey mr mayfield 🙂 i am reading a book called the egyptian box
    right now, since ‘Tee’ is the new student, she isnt getting picked at the top ranked group. outside in PE, the team captians call out the names that they chose for their soccer teams.PE was her last class, but luckely it wasn’t her worst. at home, after school, she went to her room and sat at her desk. while at her desk, she banged her head up and down on her social studies textbook. as this went on, the shabti box sat on her top shelf of her closet, lonely and forgotten. she decided to dislike the shabti box because she was not alound to sell it to the pheonix auction-house experts.her parents were stern and told her she was going to keep Great Uncle Bass’s gift but she could show it to them if she would like.
    ____________________________________________________________
    blog #2
    a few weeks later…….. Tee was in Mr.Duran’s class when he gave a big homework assignment.
    (1) read chapters 5-7(2) write half a page on one of the questions below
    (a)Why did the egyptians want the Nile to flood every year?
    (b)what are hieroglyphics?
    (c)did the egyptians worship many gods, or just one?
    (d)were all of the pharaohs of egypt Egyptians?
    of course, like all students that don’t like to do homework;HALF A PAGE… OMG she had read what she was supposed to, but the only thing that stuck in her head was the Egypt lasted for 5 thousand years. she was freaking out b/c in big bold,underlined letters read: write in your OWN words.then she was frightened by her brother barging in. he asked her to help him with the same report. he decided to write about hieroglyphics and only asked to borrow her shbti box which he calls “the Shabby Tiddleywinks box”. the only reason they are both doing the same report is bc charles was able to move up grades in 2nd grade and this grade. so now they are in the same grade, but in diffrent classes.

11. Alright, week for blogs… I started reading Mockingjay – bur every time I read it I get so angry…. Grrrrrrrrr. Katniss makes every wrong decision! So I’m reading Shiver, another one of my favorites… 🙂

I probably did get the boot for that one… I’ve run like a total of one mile in my whole life 🙂 and Spain Park makes our school look small and sad 🙁

Shiver
    Mon.- This book is about werewolves… Go figure. Kaitlin’s reading a book about werewolves???? No WAY!! Yah, but these are the cool werewolves… The ones that aren’t related to Jacob Black 🙂 so Grace is the main character, and sne’s this socially awkward kid that basically raises herself because her mom is artist and almost lives at her gallery and her dad works all the time. I think it’s easiest to make character parents busy and uninvolved in their kids life so they can have freedom… That’s what I do anyway
    Tues.- So Grace was mauled by these wolves when she was a young girl, which is sort of disturbing, but Sam, one of the werewolves makes them stop so they don’t kill her… So Grace then develops this obsession with wolves. She watches them from her house, and one of them with yellow eyes always watches her. Kinda creepy, and I honestly wouldn’t be watching animals that tried to kill me, but hey, that is obviously some people’s cup of tea. It just isn’t mine.
    Wed.- One day Grace decides she’s going to go feed the wolf that watches her a lot, and she does. Which isn’t very intelligent. So he comes up to her and like hugs her, all wolflike. She even doesn’t watch her shirt so she keep his scent on it… She’s a strange character, but honestly, she’s very logical when it comes to everything else.
    Thurs.- One day Grace here’s a wolf whimpering and someone screaming so she decides to go investigate… -*face palm*
    So anyway, there’s this she wolf that hates her, and so she finds her and this other wolf attacking another wolf and it has eyes that look just like this boy who died that went to her school. Creepers.

Okay, I be done for this week.

-Saint K
    – When the moon is blue, the clock strikes noon

12. I loved your comment about St. K and I being your hero on occasions. That made me extremely happy. 😀
    I’m loving a Midsummer Night’s Dream by the way. I really look forward to reading it. YOU ACORN!
    So anyways, I’m going through my awkward stage where I have nothing to read, so I go through Jake’s room and find some book that I can read. I landed upon the book “House” by Ted DekKer.
    Oh Boy… Out of all the books I could have chosen I picked the supernatural thriller.
    Jake warned me that the book would creep me out, but I didn’t think it would be as bad as it is. It’s a good book It’s just extremely creepy.
    So basically there are two people (Jack and Stephanie) who get lost in the woods. Then they run over something and their tires get blown up. They get out of the car and in the middle of the woods is a random house that is an inn. The couple walks into the inn and no one is there. Then another couple stumbles through the door and their tires were blown up to. While the couples are in the house they walk in the kitchen where the table is set for four. Then a man comes up to the door with a gun on his back. He’s wearing a mask so they cant see his face. He does something to all the doors and windows so that the couples can’t get out.
    Then the man is crawling on the ceiling. The power goes out and then there are creaks upstairs. The man got into the house.
    No one can see anything and they are freaking out. Something hits the girl Stephanie. She screams and the power goes back on.
    The thing that was thrown at her was a can and on it there are rules that say that these people have to bring a dead body to them by dawn and if they dont he’ll kill them…
    So Yep… It’s extremly freaky. But like I said, it’s good…
    So that’s all,
    -Julie

13. Nothing was going good for Doug since his brother got accused of breaking into Spicer’s Deli. Everyone completely avoided him at school (which was nothing new) and even Lil didn’t talk to him for a few days. Eventually she saw him at the library and said something to him. He was definately starting to like her. Things started to look up when he got offered a babysitting job that payed good. He got after school detention for mouthing off to their coach thart’s a drill Sargent in the army. On his first time in the office he saw a picture from the book at the library. It was behind the principal’s desk. On his first day of after school he had a nice teacher. That teacher found out what he had been trying to hide all of his life: that he couldn’t read. The next day Doug went to the English teacher’s room for after school where he had his first reading lesson. That’s all.

Trent

14. Okay here we go again on long post.

Tuesday- SOAPSTONE
    Girl Barley 15 Flirting For England
    Speaker- Author (3rd person)
    Occasion- This story takes place at a high school and the Jess’ home
    Audience- Middle school girls
    Purpose- To entertain
    Subject- Jess Jordan has a foreign exchange partner coming and she thinks she is going to like him.
    Tone- Happy and Freaked out
    o
    n
    e

Wednesday- Authors Purpose
    Same book
    I think the author’s purpose is to entertain. The reason I say that is because it is fiction and that is mostly what all fiction book are trying to do. Jess thinks she has a cool foreign exchange partner coming and he steps off the bus and he is NOT cool. At all. And so now at the part I am at she is stuck with a dorky little kid as her partner.

Thursday- Comparison
    This book is like The Problem with Paradise. It stars with a girl really happy then BAM!!!! the happiness is broken. So I think this is how this book is going to turn out because that is the way Jess is. Because she thought her partner was cute come to find out he is not>

15. Alright! So I’m still reading the book House. I read it last night, in the dark, with a flashlight, when I should have been asleep and it was CREEPING ME OUT!!! There were lots of weird things going on in the book so I had to stop reading it before I had nightmares. It is an amazing book but like I said, it’s SO CREEPY.
    So anyways in the story a tin can has just fallen from the ceiling with rules scrawled on it to a game that a mad man has invented.
    All the doors are locked too so no one can get outside they are trapped until dawn and if they don’t get a dead body to the mad man they are all going to die.
    So Jack, Stephanie, and the other couple are walking around upstairs and they find the owner’s of the house who had been up there the whole time.
    Jack and Stephanie tell the owners what happened about how the man came and tried to break in but just left a can.
    The owner’s of the house said that it was “Him” Jack and Stephanie asked who “Him” was and they said “The Devil himself.”

So Yep… Pleasant story.
    Now the owner’s of the house are scared to die and are threatening to kill the couples that are in it…

So that’s where I left off.
    -Julie

16. i am reading the egyptian box. i am going to compare and contrast a book that is similar to it.
    the book is A Pharoahs Secret. a great mystery by Marissa Moss. the girl in that story keeps having dreams about the demon comparing the weight of your heart with a feather. if your heart was heavier than the feather, the other demon would either eat you orsend you to the devil. if your heart was a light as a feather, then you have a pure soul. after you are determined that you have a pure soul, then you will be able to live happily in the afterlife.
    in the book’ the egyptian box,’ tee’s great uncle sabastian had left their town and the only thing they had left of him was the presents he had saved for them.tee had gotten a shabti box that was wrapped from the hips down in cloth with hieroglyphics. so they both have egyptian characteristics but are both diffrent too.

17. So I’m going to do my last blog for the week on Gone. It’s going to be an alternate ending of the past events that have occured. So Astrid, Quinn, and Sam are walking out of the school when they see a door wide open to the largest house in the town. Of course they were curious so they went in, and found the most peculiar things like crystal ball, and shrunken heads. So they decided to explore more and see if they can find anything. They walk down in to the basement where they find an old man with a green orb of light in his hand , and he whispers to it softly as if it is a pet of some sort. They startle him, and he dops it on the ground as it shatters into many pieces. All of a sudden they hear footsteps up stairs, and the owner of the house comes down, and they capture the man who made all the 15 and + disappear.

18. Hey! I really like ‘Midsummer Night’s Dream’. It’s really funny! I guess that’s why it’s a comedy. I think Shakespeare does a very good job developing his characters even though he doesn’t have much time to do so. I think that Hermia is alot like Annabeth from the Percy Jackson series. I also think that Demetrius is alot like Byron from the Witch and the Wizard. (obnoxious and full of himself.)
    I want to write about the Witch and the Wizard (which I read over Christmas break so I didn’t do journals on it.)
    I really don’t like this series as
    much as I liked Maximum Ride. I really like Wisty, she’s very brave and independent.
    I also think that Whit needs to get over Celia. I mean, he’s not really going to marry a ghost! I think that James Patterson should have developed Margo’s character more before killing her off. Not knowing about her makes it harder to feel bad for Wisty. Same deal with their parents.
    I think that the One Who Is The One has self-esteem problems and should go join Voldemort and Malfoy for therapy.
    If you ask me, I think that Voldemort is slightly worse than The One. I mean, he’s killed more people, he’s more mysterious, and he has that creepy black cloak. (You can’t be evil without a black cloak)
    I think that Voldemort was also taken more seriously by the author, he was thought out more. James Patterson, in my opinion, did a pretty sloppy job with this book. Of course, I’m still going to finish the series. I’m really interested in Bryon and why he can’t decide who’s side he’s on.
    Mr. Mayfield, you talked about one character can be like the opposite of another, and that that can help readers understand characters more. I think that Whit and Byron are an example of this. While Byron is sneaky, Whit is loyal. Byron is very selfish. He only wants to be with Wisty and he thinks that the only way to do this is for them both to die, and Byron doesn’t care who he takes with them. Whit, however, is so intent on keeping his sister safe, that he puts himself into more danger than Byron.
    I tink that this is a very easy series, and, while not very well planned, has potential.

19. Hey mr mayfield I’ll blog for ten ten minutes on authors purpose. My prediction was right about my last blog on authors purpose on writing the book. Anyways I will start his past coaching experience was short at auburn as co defense coordinator and was nervious about his appearance for auburn because he quit and went to another school and thought they might not like him plus he had just had back surgury and was feeling terrible but it didn’t stop him because he was determined

20. For the last day I’ll do creative.

I hate it when everybody justs walks by me not even noticing that I’m wedged in the gutter. Not even a dog snffs me. Every parade day I watch the children eat the new fancy candy made of fake flavoring and chemicals. No one even thinks about original, pure, old-fashioned caramel candy. If kids would eat candy like me, even though it is still bad for you, they wouldn’t be so overweight. Oh well. Maybe someone will find me and take me somewhere. Another parade day. This one is for Christmas.

Trent

21. hey mr mayfield were installing a new door handle as i speak

mon- when he reaches the temple the humans stay out side. he hears a voice inside his head that says you are what you dare.the humans are to scared to enter the temple.then the humans start to sing a song.

tues- a capsule emerges out of the sand in the temple. again the voice says you are what you dare. the humans start to sing again and the voice says”who dares disturb the didact.

weds-the forerunner says i a young manipular. a manipular is a first form forerunner. apparently forerunners can “evolve”. so the voice asks if the forerunner wishes to awken the didact from his sleep. the forerunner says yes.

thurs- after he says yes the sand sudenly turned to liquid that was gray. one of the robots from outside walks in and opens the chamber. he takes the didact and holds him while the chamber goes away. then the voice asks the forerunner to feed the didact some of the gray liquid.

22. as i searcged despretly for something to do i remembered that i have to blog cause i dont want to write it. so i scrounged through the large stacks of books on her(many)shelfs and found a book that caught my eye. it is titled guinea dog. it is about a young boy named Rufus who dreams of getting a dog for a pet.jis best friend and his best enemy has a dog and complains to his dad that is totally unfair and that he is responsible enough to get one. but his dad has a few objections.(they whine, gnaw, bark, scratch, beg, and drool.)rufus pays noattention when his mom gives some offers an dthinks that his mom can’t be serious.(but she is) his mom arrives home the next day with a guinea pig.Rufus’s dad thinks that dogs are a big deal, but when he meets a guinea pig who thinks she is a dog, he is going to lose his mind. she barks, bites, and she will even eat your homework.

23. I have been reading the book, taken. its about a girl who is kidnapped by a group paramedics. She flashes back many times to happy times. she even had classes back in her school about kidnapping because there were so many. she lived in the safest neighborhood in the usa and still got kidnapped as she would call it.

Tuesday

Dear taken girl(your name is never mentioned),
    As always i put myself in your position and talk. If i were you i wouldnt care if i got shot leaving the ambulance. You knw that they probably wont do anything because if they do the deal will be off and they dont get money. also, how many people can an ambulance hold five or six. there’s not that many so i would atleast make a break for it. if they shoot you, they shoot you. theyre not going to make you suffer so it will either be a one shot one kill or they just dont shoot at all. boo yah. i may have just saved the day for you. but theres still a whole lot of reading to be done so i will soon find out if you follow my advice.

Wednesday

i think that the reasoning of this book was to tell the reader to always be prepared. dont go into anyones car if you dont know them. if an ambulance comes make sure that your mom, dad, or guardian goes with you. make sure to check the ambulance’s personel license. remember to alwyas be prepared and never ever go into an ambulance. tell the driver that you want to ride with your parent. also, if an ambulance comes to your house for no reason and says that they got a phone call that the girl is sick, this is for you parents, dont let em go.

Thursday

i think that this book compares pretty well to the movie taken. who knows if they made the book or movie about one or the other. they both have basically the same plot. plot is the things that happen in a story. i saw the movie and the girl is kidnapped at the beginning. its the same for the book. but the story in the movie is told from the dad and the book is told from the girl. in the book the girls dad is hardly ever home but in movie the dad takes action and saves the girl. the thing the story is about is being kidnapped and they both have that in common.

24. tuesday- i am starting to read the hunger games and i am already on chapter 3.(go me) 🙂
    ~Katniss goes to hunt for dinner and meets up with Gale. she finds her hidden bow-and-arrow and heads to their secret place in the hills. a rock ledge overlooking the valley.”hey Catnip,” she doesn’t notice Gale until he calls her name.he shows her his kill and she laughs from the crazy sight. He shot an arrow through a loave of “real” bakery bread. Katniss takes it off in her hands and pulls out the arrow.

wednesday-
    after she meets Gale at the rock ledge, she asks how much the bread costed. he said that it had only costed him one squirrel. he leaned over to a nearby bush and snaged a handful of berries. he passed some to Katniss and then split the bread for a short meal.in shock from forgetting, Gale quickly says,”happy hunger games.”he paused for a moment then said “And may the odds… be ever in your favor!”

25. i am reading the hunger games. it is fanomanal. i am on page 55 and i am so glad my mom convinced me to read it. THANK YOU MOMMY!!! 🙂
    right now, katniss is hoping that her mom is being strong for Prim and hoping that her mom will be a better mother to prim and not letting the harsh pressure be put on her poor shoulders. after Peeta and Katniss pick up Haymitch off the floor that is covered in his vomit from all the drinking, they take him to his compartment on the train and put him in the shower. Peeta said that he would take it friom there and Katniss would not argue with that.Katniss didn.t want to strip him, put him in the shower, clean the vomit from his chest, then re-dress him, then tuck him into bed.(ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!):P