“and as bear bryant once said except that no one heard him say it but me…” :)

my takeaway from the graduation cycle this year – bear Bryant said a lot things he never said… 🙂

(in other words, people love to put words into famous people’s mouths – regardless of whether it was actually ever said that way)

so I’ve been active in the reading cycle – although, already probably five books behind annmarie – which is okay – i’ll crush her this week b/c I have 30 picture books lined up:)

“peanuts, pogo, and hobbes” – wonderful book for my 6-8th graders – gives background on newspaper comics, in particular, the time period from 1940-70 – the author adds his testimony as well as a fairly famous editor in the Midwest – he wrote the book for his grandkids and I think his mission was accomplished for describing an era that’s gone now – for better or worse (pun intended on the comic strip by the same name:)

“chasing the hawk” by sheenan – once, there was a runner – and this runner wrote tons of books on running and was well-known for it – then, the man passed away of prostrate cancer – and nine years later, his son penned a beautiful book about his father – and the son’s struggle to figure out life – the dad was like me – selfish beyond belief in many ways – and the son was like me – beautifully destructive in many ways – I really enjoyed the book – and the running moments in the book

fingers crossed for billy’s vandy team today

27 thoughts on ““and as bear bryant once said except that no one heard him say it but me…” :)”

1. Im second but fred knows ill be the best (or first) at scholars bowl camp

2. Ok, let me start off by saying that today is a day to remember, because for the first time in three months, I actually finished a book. Even though it was a three hundred paged easy book that takes three hours to read, it was worth it. One of the main reasons I read it is because I want to get a lot of reading log pages, because that equals silent auction points.

And plus, I had nothing better to do this summer, except go to the 500 club and develop my playground skills, but we all know that it’s too hot to go to a playground, and we all know that swimming is a better option.

So yeah, 300 hundred pages to add to a reading log when school starts in August. The book was called Middle School: My Brother is a Big Fat Liar. You maybe familiar with the Middle School series. It’s a great series by James Patterson, mainly because it’s hilarious, and it’s a great series to get reading log pages.

It was a great read. The first two books in the series were under the point of view of Rafe Khatchadorian, but the third, the one this blog is about, was under Georgia Khatchadorian, Rafe’s little sister. This book was about Georgia’s first year at middle school, which for her got off to a shaky start because Rafe left a mark at the school that Khatchadorians were horrible and are all the same: Troublemakers.

But it ended great for her, and since it was under the point of view of an eleven-year-old girl there was mushy stuff like slow dancing with a cute guy, but we all love a good love story right? 🙂

She also got revenge on a bully, who is a rich girl that wears dresses everyday and is horrible to everybody.

So yeah, highly recommend the series, and tomorrow’s blog will possibly be on Who Could That be At This Hour? by Lemony Snickett, and I got it because I heard it was good, and like Middle School, it’s approximately 300 pages and has an illustration on every three pages. I got these today, mainly for reading log pages, and to occupy my Sunday afternoon before church, because I’m a loser and have no friends. 🙂

Have a great journaling week fellow future-to-be-seventh-graders, hope you use your summer to get as much pages as I do. *Cough* (AnnMarie)

Fred

3. Ok, in about a week my book, The Butterfly, will be distributed to Amazon, (and European Amazon) and I beg you all to please buy it!!!!! (Mr. Mayfield, Wills, AnnMarie, etc.) Anyone!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Fred

4. fred – wow – what a productive two days you’ve had to start the summer – congrats on the book – finishing a book someone else wrote:) and writing about it

oh, and for being first:)

I thought I was the only one that did anything today – I was at least the only one running at 4 am – you get the cake on writing though – I just went shopping:)

5. Actually Maf you’re probably way infront of me. Ever since summer started my friend has been over. So i haven’t read, actually i swam. I did read stargirl and crash though. But that was before summer started. But im still counting them because they’re SUMMER reading books. I’ll have to go get my read on while im at the beach (yup, im THAT nerd)

6. I’m going to laugh when I watch you be ready to get 1st place and they call someone else Billy. 🙂

Besides, I know I’m not going to win, but I bet I’ll be in the top five.

Fred

7. Oh, and my creative for this week. We can do those right?

Episode 4- A New King

Long long ago in a galaxy far far away…..

You may have noticed by the Star Wars reference in the title that we mean business. I’m Jason, your awesome narrator that just so happens to be an egg. Don’t ask how that came to be because I wasn’t paid to come and tell that story.

I will start with our setting. We’re talking about planet with the name of Mafeld, and with it’s size, slightly larger than Earth’s, it had enough room for three great empires. The Waffle Empire, ruled by AnnMarie Yednak; The Squid Empire, ruled by Titus Hunt; and the Bacon Empire, ruled by Anna Bacon. Of course, many other races lived in these empires; like Anna also ruled cows and Titus also ruled Bobeys, and AnnMarie just ruled waffles.

In Mafeld, there were three biomes: the ocean, the forest, and the tropics. Of course, Titus lived in a secret lair in the ocean. AnnMarie lived in a cave in the forest. It was a huge cave, perfect for a secret lair. And that’s what she used it for. And that leaves Anna Bacon living in the tropics. There was a hotel/castle for her there, with quarters for the bacon outside so they were crispy 24/7.

The three empires were at peace for a long time. They never spoke though. It was odd. Except that’s my opinion because I’m the narrator and you have to listen to all of my opinions. But then one day…

SOMEBODY STOLE ANNMARIE’S SACRED WAFFLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The prime suspect was Titus. He denied it, and what he said was true.

(Under the point of view of Fred, Ninja Master)

Yeah, I’m the Ninja Master. I stole the Sacred Waffle from AnnMarie. I used to live in the Waffle Empire. It was luxurious. I was one of AnnMarie’s spies, but she didn’t know I was a ninja. The pay was good, but then I found out that there were other empires out there, and AnnMarie was plotting world domination.

I hadn’t learned much from being a spy, but I did know that the Sacred Waffle was what powered the defenses around the empire. I knew it had to be destroyed. It would be tough, because I would have nowhere to hide, except the other empires, but I had no idea where they were of course. Anyway, I took the risk, and here I am, in the middle of the forest, with a Sacred Waffle and a sapphire blue sword with Brisingr on it. I have no idea what it meant, but I do know that Brisingr is a brilliant sword. It helped me slay two of AnnMarie’s guards when they saw me holding the waffle in my hand. Luckily they didn’t know it was me because I had my ninja suit on.

Please rate this. I think it’s pretty good. I’m thinking about making it a NaNoWriMo novel next year.

Fred

8. My book’s on Amazon!!!! To find it you will have to type in Fred Bonnie Jr. because The Butterfly is WAY too general apparently.

BUY MY BOOK!!!!!!!!!!

9. dear queen,
    yes, the waffle-ness will never leave you – even in a pancake house in Gatlinburg during a dance competition:)

i’m glad to know i’m in the lead – it was bothering my super-fragile male ego – enjoy swimming – I tried to look for swimmers at the 500 club when I went by today – today’s adventure in running was to try and ruin some kid’s summer by spotting a teacher the first day of break – if you see a teacher, it probably brings like 80 years of bad luck – all around the world – so I did my good deed to mankind and ran swiftly in hopes that no one saw me – ironically enough, ms. Bentley, the best teacher in the world, was out walking her dog…

10. 1. Put me and fred on the same scholars bowl team at camp
    I got a rematch of the SEC finals in my bracket and bama doesnt lose to both the 3 & 4 seeds
    It would bring good luck to see you mafeld

11. you’ve just earned your first bonus points of the summer billy – congrats:)

i’ll go UNC and Ore. State in the final – mix it up by picking some top teams:)

(actually, they both seem to have easy paths)

enjoy hot-lanta

12. okay fred, going back to your piece – love it – a, it’s perfectly fine to write creatively for the summer – i’m actually working on part 2 to corbo and Mayfield – more just throwing things in my notebook than actual writing right now – b/c I like to use the summer for time just to kick ideas around rather than write them – but I’ve been at work – and yours sounds good – as well as the book – i’m moving to amazon now to check it out

13. I finished another book this week. I think I’m getting my reading ability back now, you just have to keep me from Inheritance. I promised myself I would finish it this summer and since I promised, I have to do it now. But first, I have to plow summer reading.

So I’ve got 558 pages to put on my reading log when school starts again, and that’s not counting summer reading and Inheritance. This summer’s going to be great for my reading career.

I read Who Could That Be At This Hour by Lemony Snickett. Great book, recommend it for all. If you liked Series of Unfortunate Events, this book is for you. You could definitely see Snickett’s style in the book and with the mystery genre played into it, it was a new series that replaced Violet, Klaus, and Sunny. It was about this boy (Lemony Snickett) who runs off with a chaperone, the worst of all, on purpose, to do something else, which hasn’t been exposed yet. However, they go to this town, Stain’d by the Sea, which was a seaside town which is no longer by the sea, because they had to drain the water to save the town, which oddly enough, wasn’t worth saving, since 90% percent of the townspeople were gone and the buildings were falling apart or were empty.

That’s all I’ll give away. I don’t want to spoil it for you. (the people who plan on reading it)

I’m going to tackle The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling, and then I’ll take on summer reading.

Fred

14. On the first day of camp im probably on a team of yanks (with my luck ill have to be the star.... Again) says:

Got to get up for the first day of camp free breakfast at hilton then of to the presbaterian school for camp. We’re wearing t-shirts out of respect for you and cain even though i personally dont like the front

15. johnny football appreciates your support:)

I wore a LeBron shirt to run in this morning through the streets of Columbiana – which were deserted, by the way – you know it’s hot when it’s too hot for kids to even go to the pool

have fun at camp – be sure to score a “kamp kounselor kcholar” t-shirt

16. At the Braves game with Billy- Will have to do a creative because I forgot a book- very convenient. 🙂

17. So funny the were shocked thqt we weren’t from atlanta much less out of the state!

18. His name is samed. Hes happy when wins and kills everyone on his team when he loses.

19. I have done many cool things at camp. Not all are very manly 🙂

1. Acted as an Australian exchange student that everyone believed until Billy blew it.
    2. I beat Billy in Floaty Wars
    3. Answered the question: Who wrote The Last Song- correctly- the answer: Nicholas Sparks. (Don’t ask) 🙂
    4. Pretended to be a dyslexic fourteen year old that failed second grade and with Billy’s help, got Sumed off my back because Billy said that I was also autistic and that it wasn’t my fault when I got a question wrong.

Very interesting huh? Yes, I could pass off as a fourteen year old, because of my changing voice that has the occasional squeak. 🙂