when it’s too humid for kids to even get to the 500 club most days…

oh, I was a busy reader this past week…

“the lieography of babe ruth” by katz – wonderful, creative story based on the life of babe ruth – a great baseball player – I’ve never heard of a lieography – so the whole concept – take a guy’s life and run with your imagination – and run with it, the author did – again, great, great idea that we’ll use some in the classroom this fall

“game changer” by cousins – former Michigan state quarterback – current redskins back up to RGIII – great biography – although, not so much a story of his life as much as encouragement for living – the game changer for cousins is Christ – He’s the one who makes everything you do take on meaning and purpose – the book didn’t fit the classic YA tale of the heroic lone ranger we should all live like – at his grand old age of like 24 – cousins book was different – and that was good – highly recommended for my middle school guys (they know who they are:)

“the wayward gifted” two authors collaborated on this one – a story about two gifted kids – highly verbally academically advanced gifted kids – who have a psycho mother – at least for now (I mean, this is book one so who knows what will happen to the mother:) in this book, the kids work to solve a mystery – and they do so in their inquisitive, humorous way – classic storytelling – great read

“the secretary” – got from Pelham library – BBC TV person wrote about Hillary Clinton’s time as Secretary of State – great book – great not b/c Clinton is just super-awesome and so we must bow and worship – I feel like I always have to say that or someone thinks I’m playing politics – it was a great read b/c the author is not from America – she grew up hating the US for what it did to her country – so the book is about the author coming to terms with the US – as we come to terms with our foreign policy roles – really, really enjoyed this book – best book I’ve read in a long time

and finally…

“Cheetah can’t lose” – this book was awesome!!! It’s about a cheetah that wins at every race – and two kittens that try to sabotage the cheetah – the cheetah (spoiler alert) still wins – which proves that speed conquers all – it was an inspiring book that made me realize my life is worthless unless I’m No. 1 🙂

hope to see ya’ll out on the roadways of Columbiana this week in the midmorning – great time for some Boston prep…

22 thoughts on “when it’s too humid for kids to even get to the 500 club most days…”

1. POO!!! I wasn’t first! But at least neither was Fred. Yay! Fred show’d me a movie trailer him and Billy made, it was pretty funny

2. No its called atlanta adventures i fall off a treadmill while moonwalking true story

3. Since I am blogging on a Sunday on obnoxious computer that is my grandparents’, I must inform you that I forgot to bring The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling because I forgot to pack it in my suitcase, and guess what my mom put in the suitcase to send off to my grandparents? You guessed it: Inheritance 🙂

This really ticked me off, considering that it’s been a month sinced I’ve touched the book for one, and that I’ve nearly lost interest in it since the ending is Eragon killing Galbatorix and he leaves Alagaesia.

But there are some other things I must address that happened at Scholar’s Bowl camp, a few of which happened at the hotel we were staying at. And I think that I’ve already mentioned a couple of these.
    1. Billy tried moonwalking on a treadmill going 5 miles per hour, which ended with him falling on his buttock and riding down.
    2. Billy and I made a hilarious trailer concerning Atlanta Adventures. AnnMarie mentioned it, and she is correct, it is pretty funny.
    3. On the first day of Scholar’s Bowl camp I pretended to be an Austrailian exchange student living with the Fryers. All was well until Billy told everyone that I was actually from Alabama, and all of the Atlanta kids said that made more sense because of my noticable southern accent 🙂 I told them that my accent was too city-sounding compared to other citizens of Alabama, a.k.a Colt Bean.
    4. There was an obnoxious kid named Sumed, an Indian, who quit being a jerk to me when Billy told him I had a special type of dyslexia, which caused my failing of second grade, and also told him I was really fourteen and said that sometimes I have episodes which make me pass out. When we left Billy texted him saying I had another episode and was passed out in the ER because I had a Mountain Dew overload. 🙂
    5. This was an awesome Scholar’s Bowl camp.

Ok. Now I’m going to continue my Star Wars saga, which I know has been anticipated ever since Tuesday 🙂

Episode 4: A New King (Continued)

However, my ninja suit also acted against me, because I was chased by a bunch of unicorns on my way out of the palace, but fortunately I was saved by a goat with the name of Zlateh. It’s a miracle that she showed up, because the unicorns revolted at the amount of facial hair she had.

I made camp in the Forest of Rotten Waffles, one of the most horrid places in all of Mafeld. It reeked of Belgian Waffles made at a Hilton Suites hotel in Atlanta, and the ground was wet and sticky. The worst part of it were these birds called Wafflejays that sang the song over and over: “The waffles on the trail go Squish Squish Squish, Squish Squish Squish,” you get the point.

Zlateh didn’t mind it, and she cleared a spot by eating the rotten waffles and drinking the syrup, revealing a small bed of dry, soft grass, thus my camp for the night.

She allowed me to use her as a pillow, which was a good thing since the grass wasn’t fluffy enough to sooth my ninja nervous system.

I woke to the sound of Wafflejays singing the Waffles on the Trail song, and I noticed Zlateh was gone. I didn’t need her any longer anyway, so I didn’t worry.

My first objective was to get out of the forest and head for the land of the Squids, ruled by Titus. I knew Titus would let him hide in his nation because I met him on Facebook, and we got really tight.

After several hours of trudging through rotten waffles and getting stuck in syrup tar pits, I escaped the forest was met by a beach. I knew what was ahead, and it wasn’t pretty either.

The Bacon Empire, ruled by Anna.

This ends Chapter 1 of Episode 4: A New King, I hope you like it. Please give me feedback and toss around some ideas that I will consider putting into the future chapters.

Fred

4. ah zlateh – how I miss that goat… 🙂

first, glad camp went well – second, if you learned to FINISH books, you wouldn’t have the problem you’re having with inheritance:)

and third, the story is great – again – good satire

happy grandparenting – that’s where I spent my days during the summer – except I was in Columbiana – you’ll be happy to know i’m keeping kids off the playground when I run by – it’s your turf and it should be protected (sounds like an under armor slogan:)

5. Its time for vbs while i signed up for music or being a crewleader i get stuck with 2 groups that comtain 5, 4, and 1st graders that is almost “exactly” what i signed up for

6. my sister and her husband love the Hilton b/c of the waffles – when there were none in Chicago last fall, this was a major problem for the two of them (which struck me as funny b/c the breakfast had everything else – sister and husband went up there a week before I did for the marathon – and I was told there was “nothing” to eat for breakfast – yeah, only cereal, oatmeal, fruit, yogurt, bagels, and a few other things – sure, nothing… 🙂

enjoy molding the minds of tomorrow at VBS – that was about the only connection I could make to you and fred at scholar’s bowl camp – when I was in grade school, my parents and I went to north Carolina to do VBS for native americans way up in the smokies – and the campground we stayed at had a VBS – so I went there at midday before went to our camp at night – so I was the “outsider” at the camp – although, that said, when I do teacher conferences nationwide, i’m always the only person from Alabama and typically one of few from the south – which is always fun

7. Oddest night of my life- Watching the Bacholerette while reading Inheritance during the comericals.

I think I have some explaining to do. It turns out that I may have spent two hours of my Monday night watching the Bacholerette, and the bad thing about it was I was doing it of my own will. It can take over your thoughts, because by the end of it I was one of those old ladies that go “Pick Brandon, pick Brandon…” and the good news is, she gave Brandon a rose.

I never thought this would happen to me, but at least I got some pages of Inheritance out of the way.

Eragon, Saphira, and Glaedr have made it out of the storm and have arrived at the island of Vroenguard, the land of the Dragon Riders. All of them are very tired from using their energy to keep Saphira from plummeting into the ocean and drowning all of them. If it weren’t for Glaedr’s immense amount of spare energy, Eragon and his companion wouldn’t have made it to the island.

The reason the three are on the island is because Eragon has to find the Rock of Kuthian and speak his name, to open the Vault of Souls. He has to go there because he was told by Solembum that when all seemed lost, that would be the time to go.

That made up about fifteen pages. I will blog my other five minutes tomorrow to fulfill blogging for the week.

Fred

P.S. The bad thing is I now have to watch it next Monday to see who gets eliminated, and so on to see who the girl picks. 🙂

Man my life is….. interesting?

8. very – too bad my eighth grade is gone now – Julie liked the bachelor

in unrelated news, I started “Eighty Days” – a story about two women crossing the world in 1889 in Verne’s allotted time – good so far – and makes me think that i’m somewhat doing summer reading with ya’ll:)

9. Reading the hamlet slow to begin with i cant quit this is for scholars bowl

10. actually, you can quit – you’ll read it in high school – and even better, scholar’s bowl won’t ask hamlet questions until high school – and then they’ll be obscure ones – the shakespeare you’ll get asked in middle school will always be about midsummer night’s dream – and sonnets – those are the only two things kids are supposed to know trivia about until high school

and i’d recommend you quit b/c hamlet is impossibly long – there’s debate exactly what about it is a play – nearly every production cuts scenes – and b/c the start isn’t that slow – hamlet’s ticked off at his uncle – there’s a ghost – it’s all rather eerie – so if you can’t see that – and i wouldn’t think you can yet – i’d say stop and read some sports trivia so that we don’t lose those things:)

11. I get a text from espn everytime something big happens in sports and carlos gonzalez hit 3 homers while playing the cards but they were actually playing the reds… Espn needs to fire everyone else and hire mafeld, scott, cole, willmo, and me. At least everyone would get their facts straight and actually be entertained…

Vbs is over tomorrow after that, six flags. I wont get the surprise because i cant quote all 5 verses.

You can take the 5th graders mafeld but always remember im always on your side next year. (literally)

12. five verses in a week would be tough – i’m trying a verse a week this year – my church has one a week – i’m pretty good on that – particularly if I get help with a word or two – but that’s the extent for now

and I was a bit hyperbolic with the “no questions” deal – typically, your questions are 95 percent of the time on things kids are supposed to know on their best days – again, you’d be better served with sports trivia – or obscure grammar – like participial phrases – verb tenses – gerunds – the things that we may not get to in class – but hey, if you love ham, go for ham:)

I now have our two women journalists in “80 days” over in asia – both are over halfway home – Nellie bly and Elizabeth bisland – apparently, the ships really did have problems back then moving quickly – reading this non-fiction makes me realize that w/o Verne’s imagination, the thing really would’ve just been a ship and train ride – and the train only in the US

13. Cant wait fir november 15, 2015 (that specific) new peanuts gang movie going into theaters

14. To bad that id be in highschool unless….………..