it’s the rainy season around here…

billy, forgot to tell you, but i’m working on several pieces myself – including a fantastic follow up to the Corbo stories – so keep writing away…

“making the call” by Easley – remember the replacement refs in the NFL last year? this book is from the author of one of the infamous calls – great book for my kids about what happens when your 15 minutes of fame in life goes terribly wrong – how you deal or stand with that – and good inside look at the NFL – gets you ready for the fall

“fight” by preston sprinkle – should be required reading for all the troublemakers at my school:) actually, probably only my gifted would get it – but a great book about what the gospel has to say about non-violence – and believe it or not, there’s a lot – really makes you re-examine – particularly with the 4th – how close people tie the USA in with their faith – and whether that’s the right call (spoiler alert: it’s not)

“smartpop summer preview” – great look at several pieces on YA material – including the hunger games – the part that was the best was the essay on how best friends NEVER get the girl in literature – or movies – that while the best friend girl seems to always land her guy, that never works on the opposite side – great, cute point – we may read it in class this fall

“quiet kids” by fonseca – book primarily for parents of introverts – really works well for teachers, like me, and how to teach introverts – we’ll use some of the activities this fall – if nothing else, as a way for everyone in class to realize that not everyone loves dealing with people 24/7 – there are some of us that need our quiet time:)

hope your week is a great one

23 thoughts on “it’s the rainy season around here…”

1. and here I thought you doubled up last week so it’d just be billy and I… 🙂

congrats on your awesome, awesome achievement

2. your church must be full of sinners for the pastor to preach that long:)

I feel your protest deeply billy, but as a proud early service person, me and the old people say no dice:)

3. what about the all-star ballot??? are we just happy that the braves are in first place and don’t care about the individual performances??? that’s sort of my take on it…

4. I submitted mine on the 8th of june and i do not like the braves, rangers all the way. Tampa bay isnt bad either, but only because the biscuits are there aa afiliate

5. by the way, i’d like:) you to not give away center of the earth – like you did 80 days:) b/c I started it today – the first few chapters are really funny – I think it’d be better than nemo and 20,000 leagues

6. I almost bust out laughing after this conversation i had at my baseball team party a week ago.

“Why are you wearing a minor leaige team’s hat?”
    “Yeah the braves are better than them

7. yeah, i’m not even sure some of the high school kids get the whole farm system thing – much less kids your age

I borrowed “damn Yankees” from the public library yesterday – it’s a musical from 1958 about a guy who sells his soul to the devil in order to help the Washington senators win the pennant and beat the Yankees – really holds up well 55 years later

8. okay, billy, your lucky day – i’ve got a stack of things i need to throw away – including old worksheet rounds at districts – interested???

9. Its a no ( i said sarcastically) of course its a yes

10. Just popping in to say Hello! Sending a bunch of love and fist bumps your way. I hope you have a splendid year of teaching. I surely will miss all the many jokes that we had in your class.

Make sure you are extra rough on the youngsters this year. Especially Fred. (:

-Julie

11. oh, you’re already dearly missed – cailea and merritt, not so much, but definitely you:(

and to quote a wise old scholar named Hilary duff “hey now, hey now, this is what dreams are made of” – which is all about going on to high school and having a thrilling time

i’ll be sure and be extra rough – we have new books that I can probably kill some of the sixth grade with…

keep in touch – you’re missed

12. Remember: Violence is the BEST form of punishment.

And thank you for those wise words from Hilary Duff “The Philosopher”

-Julie

P.S. Cailea and Merritt were never quite as awesome as me. (;

13. I will say this… I’ve told numerous people my favorite moment of last year was the game of catch with the girls near the end of school – and that never would’ve happened w/o you…

14. I enjoyed that also! I like how you said “Game of catch with the girls” because Garrison played with us too 😉

15. you will hopefully learn early in life that selective memory is better than actual memory – so the deletion of garrison was both intentional and delightful:)

and tim’s no-no was awesome!!!

16. I am pretty sure it is better for your mental health to forget Garrison(: And I am about 101% sure Timmy will be my future husband. Age difference is not an issue.

17. speaking of age difference, I would think you’re the type that loves musicals – I just finished “south pacific” – which basically seems like a musical about older men and their younger wives – or wives to be:)

you definitely need to watch “thoroughly modern millie” if you like musicals – the tom sawyer reference is wonderful – oh, and be sure to count both as service hours as it’s work on scholar’s bowl