“U-S-A… U-S-A… U-S-A…”

by the way, I learned at the ’96 games that every country pronounces their name in a three-syllable chant – thus, at those games, I heard for the first (and likely last) time “Tun-ee-shee” (Tunisia)

“Steinbrenner: The Last Lion of Baseball” – great baseball book to get me hungry for the season to come – Steinbrenner bought the Yankees for $10 million in 1972 – they’re worth over $1.5 billion today – he was an iron-fisted leader for much of his early years – lots of what I thought I knew about him, I didn’t

“Never Quit” – story of the closest US miler to break four minutes before and shortly after WWII – the guy’s story was what my grandfather’s story was – out poverty and hardship into the modern life – so reading the book made me miss my granddad – but in a good way

“Olympic Dream” – sad biography of a Kenyan who set four world records in less than 100 days – just amazing – and amazing in a sad way, he never was able to compete in an Olympics – boycotts and then age did him in – just makes me appreciate how rare it is to run and run well – and have a chance to win things

“The Heart of the Sea” – my favorite reader, WillRo, read it and said good things about it – so I was curious – he was right – gripping story – I’ve read Melville and read other books by Philbrick so I had more background than a seventh grader, and it still was an amazing read – field trip to Nantucket!!!!

remember, no serious blogs this week b/c you’re memorizing monologues

90 thoughts on ““U-S-A… U-S-A… U-S-A…””

1. Nice. I’m very godd at solving mysteries, and I’ve read all of the Benedict society books. (I may even re-read them next week.)

2. the benedict society books are awesome

tyler, you’re the best best man for fred’s diner

“planes” was better than cars 2 – I thought

not a lot of ice hockey being planed in downtown Columbiana today – the “freezing rain relay” was a flop b/c I had no one to pass the baton off to:)

3. while we wait for more rain (b/c it’s obvious to me now that we’re going to miss 2 1/2 days of school due to rain), does the Olympic event for a rain dance take cultural heritage into consideration – or just whether or not it starts raining???

4. All I know is that at my summer camp, we do a rain dance on Wednesday, and it rains every Thursday. That has happened at every camp for the past three years. I guess the real question would be: do French people do a rain dance?

5. If i promise to bee your speeling be champ next year, can i not do my monolog?

Actually mine is written in prose, how do i establish “1 line” from another?

6. who is up for some dancing in the rain!(since evryone else at my house is trying to stay in):-)

7. billy – you’re the one that picked it (the monologue) – so I guess you’re stuck figuring out where the lines are:)

seriously, I’m curious how many excuses I get tomorrow on the monologue quiz – it’s going to be fun

and billy – there’s no way you’ll win the bee next year – besides, I need your full concentration at districts where we’ll attempt to qualify for state – a first for our school

I do think dancing between raindrops should be an Olympic event

and after watching early morning tv this morning, one local station showed their truck going through red mountain and Homewood – so pictures of icy streets – the other station had live coverage of an 18 wheeler being righted up – I think another Olympic event should be the coverage:)

ricky, fred, and willRo, another stellar job on the streets – completely de-iced

snow still by the track if anyone is interested

8. Oh, by the way, Sarah Bosshart, Nicole, and I decided that today is the official grand opening of Fred’s All-Night Dino-Diner!!

9. Was bri laughing at my commet or the fact that her sis beat me in the spelling bee? Finally i can give up on spelling 🙂
    I guess i need a body fuard for district you never know with oak mountain

10. Billy, Brianna was just trying to stalk the blog like a crazy person. She wasn’t laughing at anything but the fact that I didn’t know what she was posting, and probably the fact that we had just listened to the pants song.

11. Happy Valentines Day! Thought I’d pop in and say Hi. Also, my hair is no longer blonde.
    And say “no serious bloggin?” Mr. Mayfield, when have any of the bloggrs at cms been this strange and.unfamiliar word called…”serious?”
    baibai
    -Girl who says she likes bacon but kinda doesnt cuz of the grease

12. Harry potter!!
    Just sit right back can you hear a tale tale of faithful trip has started on this tropic port aboard this tiny ship.the mate was a mighty sailor and skipper brave and sure, five passengers set sail that day for three hour tour,a three hour tour.the weather started getting rough, the tiny ship was tossed, if not for the courage of the fearless crew the minnow would be lost,the minnow would be lost.the ship set ground on a sure abis,uncharted desert isle,with Gilligan,the skipper to,the millionaire,and his wife.the movie star, the professer and Maryann, here on gilligans isle!

13. Sit right back and you’ll hear a tail a tail of a faithful trip, that started on this tropic port ,aboard this tiny ship.the mate was a mighty sailor and the skipper brave and sure, five passengers set sail that day for a three hour tour, a three hour tour .the weather started getting rough the tiny ship was tossed,if not for the courage of the fearless crew the minnow would be lost, the minnow would be lost. the ship set ground On a sure abyss,uncharted desert isle,with Gilligan,the skipper to, the millionaire and his wife, the movie star,the professor and Maryann,here on gilligans isle!

14. anna, I think I’m excited about write in the middle if for no other reason than we get to hang out with you and the riverchase gang for the day

ms. briA, I think harry potter Gilligan style would be a good parody song with harry, his good friend ron, malfoy and his gang, Hermione, dobby, Hedwig, and snape here at Hogwarts school!!!

15. good – I like the mini nutter butters best b/c you can take the tops off, scrape the PB, and then eat the top and bottoms – the big ones??? the thing just falls apart when I do that:)

16. Mr.Mayfield has inspired me to watch a movie. The movie is: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smuag

17. Does anyone remember how we decided Emily was a stalker? We were talking about it the other day…I know i had something to do with it.
    Also, I was going to be on battle of the books, too, But i was absent the day of the test. I even TOLD THE LADY I WOULD BE ABSENT. She’s all like, “okay!!!!!” When I come back that Monday, there’s this little sign:
    CONGRATULATE THE NEW B.O.B. MEMBERS:
    1) person i am jealous of
    2) stupid person i wish i was
    3) another random kid
    4) someone else
    5) why am i not.you??
    6) *sticks out tongue*

Well….FUUUUN. also my hair is a different color now.