Summer 2023

“Twisted” by Anderson – was not a fan of this book – free – and it still cost me:)

“Forgotten Girls” by Potts – really great book about rural, gifted girls and the obstacles they faced in the 1990s – and today

“The Power of Fun” – meh – had a friend recommend it to me

“My Father’s Brain” – Jauhar – life with an Alzheimer’s patient – from a medical scientist’s point of view

“Smart Brevity” by VandeHei – good about messaging in today’s world – keep it short

“Unbroken” – YA adaptation – added it this year to 8th grade list – I like my choice:) hadn’t read the original in a while so good book

“Marty Glickman” by Gurock – he was a broadcaster, but before that, he was on the 1936 relay team – but was left off running – likely b/c he was Jewish and the coach didn’t want to offend Hitler – was a great read

“How to Make a PB Sandwich in 17 Easy Steps” – children’s picture book – cute – and some good teaching ideas

“The Book of James” by Babb – hagiography of Lebron – wasn’t that insightful

“The ROI of LOL” by Cody and Fletcher – decently entertaining – I don’t by the premise of the book but there were some good gems in there

“Parenting Advice to Ignore in Art and Life” by Tersigni – meh…

“Spare” Prince Harry – I really don’t know the royals, that was my takeaway – lots of things he assumed I knew I didn’t

“Magic Words” by Berger – good read – fascinating what they can analyze today with word usage

“Beyond the Wand” by Tom Felton – good Potter fun:) Of course, the introduction by Emma Watson was my favorite:)

“On Great Fields” by Ronald C. White – book about a prof who won the turning battle point at Gettysburg – very fun Civil War and post-CW facts

“Fahrenheit 451” Bradbury – liked it – a classic I’d never read before

“American Born Chinese” by Yang – excellent – another one I’d missed years ago

“Flamin’ Hot” by Montanez – fascinating how the Disney Plus film fits with the book – and the claims about whether or not Flamin’ was invented

“The Teachers” by Robbins – so teachers have it tough according to this book:) especially the girl who divorced her longtime mate in a small town and then started seeing the art teacher who was new and from New York – I mean, c’mon people… 🙂

“Losing our Religion” Russell Moore – really good book – really sad book – but very insightful about today’s SBC environment

“Life in the G League” by Squadron – ironically about the B’ham Squadron – entertaining

“Generations” by Twenge – really good – and backed up with research – I now keep explaining the way people do things based upon their generation:)

“A Tide of Dreams” by Keefe – was a bit of a stretch to make into a book – but it was tied to Alabama football so it had to be added to the list:)

“The Forever Season” by Keith – oh, just email and ask about this one:) it was a roller coaster of “throw it up against the wall and see if it sticks” 🙂

“The Storm of the Century” Roker – hurricane that devastated Galveston over 100 years ago

“George Varnall” Burlingame – official – reffed the first Bama Rose Bowl – so that was cool:)

“AI for Education” by Miller – we were supposed to read it week by week – I read it in an afternoon – was good though

“Surprised by Hope” NT Wright – Lot of what people think about heaven and the thereafter isn’t really based on scripture once you get down to it – very good read

“The Occasionally Accurate Annals of Football” Patrick – meh…

“The Exceptions” – MIT women – their battle for recognition in the science division there – great read – and included fun facts about Boston and I’m always up for that

“Hansel and Gretel” Mattotti and Gaiman – reimagining the legend of Hansel and Gretel – short read

“What if? 2” – we have one textbook option from the first book – this was was okay-ish – like most sequels, the fun of the original was gone

“Silent Calvary” – by Howell Raines – fascinating read about Union soldiers from the state of Alabama and their work – and the fight to cover that work up for years b/c it didn’t mesh with The Lost Cause