To be considered for NJHS here at Oak Mountain Middle School:
- First a student would have needed to have maintained an A average in his core classes his 6th grade year and an A average for the first three grading periods of his 7th grade year.
- If he is academically eligible for NJHS, we then invite students to a meeting informing them of such.
- Next, there is an application packet to complete. Students document their community involvement and extracurricular activities. Additionally, students have two teacher recommendation forms that need to be issued. (The teacher is then responsible for getting the rec back to an NJHS sponsor.)
- Once a student turns in his paperwork by the due date, a teacher/administrative panel will review it along with his behavior report for his 6th and 7th grade years.
- Thereafter, those who have been selected for NJHS will be tapped out of class and the induction ceremony will be held a week or so later.
- The whole process takes about a month from beginning to end and generally takes place starting in April and could extend into May.