Frizzy by Claribel Ortega and Rose Bousamra

Oh, how I related to this character. While I may not have lived experiences of the beauty shop every weekend, the chemicals and length of process for straightening coily hair, and the stigma that comes with Black hairstyles, I do have suppressed memories of a mother who didn’t know how to style my hair, who thought my curls or frizzes were messy, a fight to keep my hair straight and “pretty” and the shame that can go along with that. This book gave me freedom. It made me think twice about the way I approach hair conversations with my daughter and about the way I speak about my own hair. Here’s to letting our hair and thereby ourselves take up space!

Marlene loves three things: books, her cool Tía Ruby and hanging out with her best friend Camila. But according to her mother, Paola, the only thing she needs to focus on is school and “growing up.” That means straightening her hair every weekend so she could have “presentable”, “good hair”.

But Marlene hates being in the salon and doesn’t understand why her curls are not considered pretty by those around her. With a few hiccups, a dash of embarrassment, and the much-needed help of Camila and Tia Ruby―she slowly starts a journey to learn to appreciate and proudly wear her curly hair.

First Second, Amazon
Published inEverybody

Be First to Comment