so let’s finish up october the right way…

i read a book last week – yes, just one – took the week – “william cooper’s town” – read it in ’97 – my sophomore year at bama – you too can read my copy at the public library – anyway, cooper sort of modeled the 1790-1810 time period fairly well – and one of his sons became one of the first famous american authors – so it was a good read – good background for rip van winkle and sleepy hollow preparation – and good b/c cooper’s town eventually came to house the baseball hall of fame (even though the author pointed out that the town outlawed ballplaying in the 1830s)

of course, i read the Bible – new testament – luke – and my magazines – sports illustrated (two good soccer articles about why the US may have to wait a while to get better) – the economist (learned about problems in the ukraine) – harper’s weekly (in contrast to the economist, the article i read this week things that britain’s capitalism is destroying the nation) – and running times – some good info about recovery runs

hope your week is great – maybe last week of journals for some of you nanowrimos

sincerely,
mafeld

29 thoughts on “so let’s finish up october the right way…”

1. SO Monday, First prompt of the week. I am reading Cheater,
    Authors Purpose
    So I think the authors purpose is to tell. To get the message across. If you cheat then you are just telling what other people know. You are actually cheating yourself. Kids that cheat get nowhere, they can only stare at their A+’s in shame. Knowing that they didn’t make that A. It is like all they did was copy and paste. I hope they will learn the fact that you can’t copy and paste life. Everywhere you go you use knowledge from school. You can’t just pass life up. You certainly can’t cheat on life. Everyone’s life is different and original and you only go as far as you learn. πŸ™‚

2. IT”S MONDAY AGIAN!!!!!!!!!!! 1st prompt of the week!

So i’m reading The Postcard
    Creative
    Continue of last week………………………………
    I didn’t like the way i wrote so i want to croos that last part out i did on that paper i put my journals on and redo them

Continue of last week:
    So they get to the second cabin and the door is locked so the dectives think perfect. So they go and get the crobar. They come back with the crobar and see that the guy has saw they were there. He had left a note on the door saying YOU”LL NEVER CATCH ME ALIVE COPPERS. They go inside and there are bodies all over the floor. They start to count…. when they are through counting they start to leave when they dicover a door that looks like the wall. It was painted for disguise they open the door. There is drugs all over the floor along with more bodies…………….

To Be Contiued………………..

Bye Mr. mayfield πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

3. Hey mr mayfield I am on my iPod again and will blog from it. I will blog for ten minutes on creative writing. Here he was again and was lost for the tenth time this week. Out of gas in his car in the center of the great smokey mountains and was hoping that help would come by to help him. Two days went by no service and wanting to get out of there he was close to a cliff so he decided to go down it by a vine and he was safley brought down slowly walked looking for anything to eat. He found a house and he wanted to go and see if anyone was there…

4. Tuesday went pretty smooth so I will do creative.
    Creative πŸ™‚
    Oh no, I knew I was going to have to face my fear. I’m John, 10 years old, and terrified of roller coasters. I don’t know why I cam to Six Flags with my family if I was going to chicken out. So we are in line for, “The Scream”, and we are all excited to get on it, except for me. I knew when we pulled up I was going to die. When we got closer to the front of the line my stomach dropped to the ground. I am going to die, I know it.
    Minutes later
    Oh no! Well know it is our turn to get on and I have no way of getting out of here! Well, I had an amazing life, except the time when I was at the zoo and didn’t get an ICEE but besides that, yeah. We are all seated on the roller coaster and we are about to start moving when it happens….
    To be continued
    Mimi πŸ™‚

5. I just finished the book Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life.
    Authors purpose
    I think the authors purpose was to be joyful. To tell people who read the book an adventue to find a vey hard answer. Jeremy Fink and his friend,Lizzy, are taking on the challenge to find the meaning of life. Jeremy’s dad left him a box to open on his 13th birthday. Jeremy’s dad had died five years before Jeremy’s 13th birthday. Jeremy’s dad was told that he would die at the age of forty. He always planned ahead. Saddly he did not die at the age of forty. He died a couple of months before his birthday.

6. Second blog
    8)
    Danny accepted the job offer. He wasn’t supposed to get called in to do a mission until he got the implant and went through basic training. Even though he wasn’t supposed to get called in for another month for training he still got called in. When he got to the Project they told him that he had to go on a mission. He refused at first because the chair looked too much like an electric chair. After a lot of convincing he decided to do it. They told him that he waould go to Lukistania where there is war. He didn’t want to but they convinced him that no one could touch him.
    POV on Nan’s story.
    “She shouldn’t have survived.”
    “But she did.”
    “Well lets just get it over with.” We moved her and she woke up. She looked confused but still couldn’t move or talk.
    πŸ™‚
    Trent

7. Ok so hey this is my second blog for the weekon Pendragon: Merchant Of Death. I left off as Bobby crush ends up on his doorstep as he is on his way to an important semi-final game. So she walks in and tells how she has always had feelings and stuff for him, and efore you know it they are making out right there in his living room. So in the middle of the, Bobby’s uncle,Uncle Press, somehow ends up in his house intterupting the scene. Everything is really awkward, and it’s weird because he has always been a really cool uncle who always had lots of money on him. So he is acting weird and tells Courtney to leave so they could talk. So she leaves and he tells him that he needs to come with him and that everything will be explained. So he drops all of his stuff and walks outside to find a futuristic motorcycle waiting on the street for them to go somewhere very mysterious.

8. Hey mr. mayfield i am doing a blog on Pendragon today. so i left off as Uncle _ress came and mysteriouly took him away from his romantic time with Courtney. so they head off on a futuristic motorcycle to some unknown place . so they end up in the bad part of new york but it was weird because no one was outside and it was extremely quiet outside. They come to the entrance of a subway station that was dark and no noise was coming up. They park the car and the get to the entrance. Before they go in, Uncle Press gives him some vital imformation. If someone or something attacks them down there head down the stairs on the far left and enter the doo that has a star on it. When you enter the door, say the word “denduron.”

9. second an third blog

Tuesday
    Authors Pourpose πŸ™‚
    Ok so i’m reading the postcard.
    OK so i think the authors pourpose is to entertain. I mean if you think your family might be splitting up don’t just asume because that is what you are doing. You need to get some facts first. I mean don’t snoop around like sherlock holms just ask. Now JAson is going through some diffuclt times because he dosen’t want to go to florida. So if you have a hard dicision to make do what will make your parents happy not your friends because in the log run yol’ll be happier.

Wensday
    Point of View shift
    Sooo im taking the point of view of jason. O my gosh are you kidding my parents are making me go to stupid florida to see my stupid dead grand mother. I soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo mad at them. I mean why can’t i stay with one of my older siblings. Really? ugh i hate my parents for making me do that

Jason

CYA MR. MAYFIELD
    JOCI πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ ;);)

10. hey mr mayfield, i am reading the book elswhere and it is awesome and i am going to do a soapstone on it.
    S-Olive Dunwoody
    O-olive was rushing to get a lot of random supplies
    A-the reader
    P-she needed to go to the basement to explore for what is tying to get rid of her.
    S-Olive had to hurry before her parents came home and startedasking questions about why she was in her least favorite room in the whole entire house.
    T-mysterious-there was somethng creep about the basement that wanted to make you go down to check it out.(but what is it)
    o
    n
    e

11. hey mr mayfield, i am reading the book elswhere and it is awesome and i am going to do a soapstone on it.
    S-Olive Dunwoody
    O-olive explored the basement
    A-the reader
    P-she wanted to know what “something funny” that the builders had mentioned meant
    S-she went into a painting and the builders in the painting said that there was something was funny about the house
    T-mysterious-
    o
    n
    e

12. hey i am going to do 3 more blogs and i hope its ok.
    S-Olive Dunwoody
    O-in the corner of the basement, olive saw 2 glowing green eyes staring at her.
    A-the reader
    P-there was something guarding a wooden door on the floor
    S-olive wondered what the doo led to but she heard her parents car door slam and she ran upstairs so they wold not know that she was down there.
    T-creepy-what are the glowing green eyes i the corner.
    o
    n
    e

13. after this blog. 1 more to go.
    S-olive
    O-olive moved the flashlight over the green eyes and noticed that the object was a large cat shape
    A-the reader
    P-she wondered what it was
    S-she thought that the cat shape was Horatio
    T-curious-
    o
    n
    e

14. LAST BLOG. YEA πŸ™‚
    S-olive
    O-she talked to the cat to see if it could talk too
    A-the reader
    P-horatio had give her clues and wondered if that cat could gives her some more clues as well
    S-Horatio had told Olive that something was trying to GET RID of her!!!!
    T-curious-what did the “trapdoor” lead to?
    o
    n
    e

15. Today I’m doing creative
    8)
    I’ve always liked how mom and dad let me draw on the cave walls. Sometimes they tell me storie of people in the future where they ca’t draw on the walls and have to wear fancy clothes. Sometimes I wish that I could live in the future for a day just to see if I could make it. Since it’s still 2094 BC I will never experience that. Maybe tomorrow mom will help me make my own future world. That would be fun. Oh well, at least today we’re going hunting so we might get some food for tonight since it’s been raining and we couldn’t hunt. That was hard because we only had one days’ worth of food and we were trapped for three and a half days without any food at all. That’s one time when I wish I would have lived in the future and always had a lot of extra food. That’s all for today. πŸ™

Trent

16. Okay, so I shall blog… On The Grimm Legacy

I forgot of you said you liked this book maf. The only problem I have with this girl is that’s extremely superficial (Oh, Marc!) and the way the author types her dialogue….. No one talks like that.

Mon.- Okay, so Elizabeth is this girl that lives in New York, she moves schools and feels really lonely (every good teen angst book has a lonely, sad, new school character), and she really loves history class. When she has to do a report over winter break in history, she chooses the Grimm brothers (fairytale people) and writes her paper on them.
    Tues.- So Mr. I-Can’t-Spell-His-Name (her history teacher) tells her it’s really good and recommends her to the library, of sorts. It’s a library with no books, just items. So she ends up getting the job and she works there. Oh, and by the way, the guy of everyone’s dreams that goes to (Insert Name Here) school works here too!!!!! AHHHHHHHHH!!!!! His name is Marc, isn’t that like, the cutest name ever?!
    Thurs.- Okay, so Elizabeth notices some strange stuff about Marc, he’s always taking these boots, and when Anjali sends her downstairs to the Grimm room she gets all excited (The Grimm room is where they store things from story tales in the Grimm book) and she returns these boots that she keeps seeing Marc wear……

Alright, I’m done…. Goodbye… And happy Halloween!

-Saint K
    -when the moon is blue, the clock strikes noon

17. Wednesday was cool so I am still reading Cheater.
    Point of View of Karl
    Wow! These cheaters who call themselves cool are asking me to help them! Why in the world would I use my smarts to help someone else get a good grade. If Blaine gets caught and I helped him we would both get in trouble. Gosh, I need a brake from these people. They are driving me insane! So now I know about Blaine cheating and can’t do anything about it. If I do he will punch my face in and I don’t want that to happen. Then he had the nerve to say “Is your life so wonderful the way it is?”, an that made me mad. Well, I couldn’t really explain it. I really don’t know if I want to change my life. It is ok but it could be better. What I definitely don’t want is to become one of those cool kids and be mean to everyone. I will not, no matter what, cheat on a test, ever! I don’t see how they do it. It would make me feel guilty and want to turn myself in. Well, I don’t want to be tardy so bye!
    Mimi πŸ™‚

18. Haha, so I’m reading the book Paradise Salvage.

Nunzio’s crazy grandpa creates all sorts of misoperative things- Well, now I can see where Nunzio gets his creativity and “imagination” from. Now maybe this wack job grandpa can come back and make something thats a key part to this story.

Danny Suffered a major hit that ruined his possible attempt at playing college and pro- I’m sure this relates to a lot of people because they end up getting injured and not being able to play for the season. Fusco tries to put in a relatable character to people who maybe aren’t like other characters.

Danny boy believes Nunzio about the killing- Well at least Nunzio knows he has his brothers support on this. Danny actually found a spent bullet inside the now crushed pontiac the victim was in. After further investigation he also found beads that Nunzio claimed were on the victim of the shooting.

The dad starts “Getting Old”-It’s actually quite odd how Nunzio doesn’t put this out until the body is found. Now maybe the dad is hiding something and it’s making him feel uneasy and causing himself to be quite inconspicous(Big word of the day)

19. Last blog
    8)
    Danny swatted for a fly and his arm came out of the lock. After that he saw mountains for a second and then he went to his grandmother’s hospital bed. Somehow she came out of her body and into an energy body. Danny could see her but no one else could unless they were in an energy body too. Some people had a natural talent and could see energy bodies even when they were in human form.
    Opal somehow escaped and made it back. Everyone was suprised and she went straight to the hospital even though she said that she was fine. She met Danny’s grandmother there and they talked for a while. Nan did some weird thing where here mouth came open and it looked like she was having a stroke. Opal freaked out and she went back to normal. That’s all for today.

Trent

20. Ok so last blog
    πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

hey trent how do u get the smilies with the sunglasses

Comparison
    OK so this book is like Maltilda
    Jason is like Maltilda’s Mom he dosen’t like change. Jason live upnorth and he has to go down south to florida.reason being because his grandmother (who he dosen’t know) because he live up north and she live down south. WHen he gets to florida he thinks he is going to die because it is so hot. That is how they are a like is because that is what they do every day ………………. the same routine. That is what we are all used to doing every day……………………….. the same thing.

21. Hey mr mayfield I have been carving pumpkins for the last ten minutes now I am watching the world series and it’s a good game. Fourth on the top finnally finished with a pop out anyways I will blog for ten minutes on the authors purpose on colt McCoy. He was ready for his next start. I think the author put this because once you have one start you get wanting more of them for a better appearance for recurters. Or he could think he is better than everyone. Well that’s it for today and going to carve pumpkins again

22. So hey mr. mayfield. I`m going to do an alternate ending on the last blog on Pendragon:Merchant of Death. So they are heading down in to the bad part of New York on a cool motorcycle. Nobody is outside or playing in the streets as they pull up to the front of the subway entrance. As they walk down the stairs they notice something weird: it was covered with hundreds of homeless people in sleeping bags. This came to a huge shock to both of them. Each one of these things was a ticking time bomb that could explode at any second. .so the correct procedure was to find a bag of cans and a sandwich to bribe them with. So they collected all there materials and woke them up. As they woke up they threw the cans and sandwich in the corner. They all jumped on them like a pack of wild dogs and then they ran for there lives.

23. Monday

This week I’m blogging about The Castaways of the Flying Dutchman. It is by Brian Jaques, the author of the Redwall series. Anywho, I know that he wrote this to entertain the reader. I pretty sure anyways. I think he wrote this to entertain, but he used facts about the countries and myths of the Flying Dutchman to an advantage, because he twists it to a new point of view of a never-before-heard-of-character. At the same time though he creates the image a huge ship where the boy is put in the galley.

Tuesday

Wondering what would have happened if Neb would have escaped in Denmark?
    My guess is that he would have found the black lab and went to a bench and hid until the pirates were gone. Then he would have made a home and been one of those beggars who sits on the corner of the block in New York. Or maybe if he didn’t like the dog anymore … sell the poor black lab. I mean that’s what I would have to do if I were him, but I’m not so that is all his discision. That is what I think would have happened to Neb if he escaped the ship in Denmark.

Wednesday

After a lot of thought The Castaways of the Flying Dutchman is like the beginning of Peter and the Starcatchers. They both have characters get on ships. Neb got on because he was running from his stepbrothers and one of them hit him and he fell into the ice cold water, then all of a sudden a stringy rope hits his head and he uses all his strength to climb onboard. In the other book orphans get onboard because the are forced to be slaves to an evil king overseas. Well, I mean, they have \the same ideas just different plots.

Thursday

So far the captain of the Flying Dutchmanis making a deal with a chinease merchant who is offering FOUR emeralds for him to deliver emeralds to other high-paying people. On another POV a boy is running from his stepbrothers and runs into a dead-end. His stepbrothers or the ocean?!?!?!?!?!? Which is worse?!?!?!? Well, he doesn’t have a choice because one of his stepbrothers cuffs (hits) him in the jaw and falls into the freezing cold ocean shivering and alone.

24. Thursday and here is my final blog.
    Different Ending
    So i left of in Cheater where Cara and Blaine are trying to get Karl to help them cheat. (probably why the book id called cheater lol) So Karl is staring at them with beady eyes but in my ending he says yes. HE will degrade him self and sink low to their level. Why, I will never know. I guess popularity is taking him over. The next Chemistry exam is today and Karl gave them the answers before they entered the classroom. In the middle of the test Blaine gets caught cheating and is sent out in the hall. Karl stands up and walks slowly to the front of the room. He screams aloud “I helped Cara and Blaine cheat, I know it is wrong but..” , the teacher stops them and sends then to the principal.

25. hey i am going to do 20 mins on a new book called torn.

mon- the book starts out with jonah and his sister catherine in the year 1611. katherine is just a normal kid from the 21st century but jonah is a famous child from the past that was stolen from some bad guys that are time travelers.

tues- they wake up after teleporting from the year 1600 where they were trying to save another lost kid of the past, andrea(a.k.a virginia dare). they are freezing cold and they can’t see anything because of time sickness. jonah feels a book on his face and rips out a page in it.

weds- jonah and katherine hear a voice coming from a box lying next to them. after a while things start to seem less fuzzy and they see that the box that the voice is coming from is the elucidator( the thing that allows them to time travel). jonah picks up the elucidator and starts talking back to the person.

thurs- the guy in the box is j.b. and he is being held captive by a guy named second. second is also holding andrea captive along with two other indian boys. jb says that they are on the ship of henry hudson a famous captain that found the northwest passage. jb has lost hudsons son, one of the children thats missing from history. jonah will have to fill in for him until they can find the real son of henry hudson.

well thats all. good night.

26. oh, where did this week go…. song of today is Back in the USSR by the beatles, read harry potter 6. left off with ron advising a dose of felix felicis for slughorn’s memory. harry sips it, and feels that hagrid’s hut is the next step. he sneaks out, but passes the garden and sees slughorn. he convinces slughorn to visit hagrid and help bury aragog with him. slughorn sees a moneymaking oppertunity (aragog’s venom is worth loads of galleons) and they go to the grave. Hagrid is delighted, and slughorn fills some glasses. Harry doesn’t drink a drop, and convinces slughorn to relenquish the memory. slughorn also says that he was ashamed about the memory. Harry sprints back to the castle while feeling the potion wear off. the fat lady says
    that the password was changed, and to take it up with dumbledore. harry flys to the headmaster, the echos of the fat lady insisting that the password was the same reverberating around him, and gives the memory to dumbledore. he immediatley dumps it into the pensive,and they drop into the world of hogwarts, years earlier than the present. once again, the death nibblers (pre-death eaters) leave tom riddle and slughorn alone. tom jumps on the oppertunity to ask about horcruxes. instead of the thick white mist obscuring the room, slughorn reluctantly defines horcruxes as objects that contain a fragment of a soul. tom asks how to split the soul, and the answer is to commit a deed so foul that it rips the soul in two, or murder. tom asks
    about multiple horcruxes, and slughorn is revolted/terrified by the idea. dumbledore ends the memory and confirms that he origionally thought that voldemort was, even then, attempting to gain immortality. he (most likely) created seven horcruxes, six of which are outside his body. he thinks that tom’s diary and marvalo gaunt’s ring were horcruxes (here, he explains his blackened hand). if he’s right, then four horcruxes remain: helga hufflepuff’s cup, salazar slytherin’s locket, and two objects belonging to rowena ravenclaw and godric gryffindor. The snake, Nagini, might be a horcrux as well dumbledore’s recent disappearences were because of quests of horcruxes. even though voldemort’s soul was partially murdered and he was
    weakened by it, he is still strong and able to kill. harry believes he will not be able to overpower voldemort, but dumbledore reminds him of his power to love. dumbledore launches into a passionate monologue about his mother dying for him, and her love embedding into his blood, protecting him from tha Avada Kedavra curse. he informs harry that two children could have filled harry’s role as the chosen one, and his counterpart is: neville longbottom. voldemort chose harry potter as his enemy. that’s all for tonight, see ya next week!

27. Hey Mr. Mayfield this 10 min. blog for creative writing okay Johnny went to the store and bought eggs Coke and milk he was ready for his science experiment. He was ready and put the eggs in the Coke to see if the eggs would float. He was surprised and the eggs floated to the top.
    Tried the milk and put the eggs in it and see if they would float. The eggs sent directly to the bottom he was disappointed and went to bed and slept until the morning of Friday and tried again

28. Hey mr mayfield I will blog for ten minute on the authors purpose on colt McCoy. Colt was a young seventh grader like me and his dad was having a clinic on football for teens. He went to it and his dad told them to cut down on soft drinks for good. I think the author said this because he was cut off on soft drinks and he wanted to make sure that others know because he was told the same thing. Well mayfield that’s it see ya

29. Hey mr mayfield I will blog for ten minutes on the creative. There they were in the middle of the game down by five beeeeeeeep! Halftime buzzer they get down in the locker room and start making plans they come out start shooting around so they start to make shots then the buzzer goes off and they start the second half off great. Then their defense breaks down two four six points back to back….