happy patriot’s day week!!!

yes, the annual blog where i wish everyone a holiday no one but bostonians celebrate

(go trent and trey’s mom tomorrow as she runs the streets of boston)

“Last Hunger Season” by Thurow – read on the nook last week – excellent all-ages account of the fight to end hunger in Kenya – western Kenya still has a “hunger season” where families have to make choices like starve or send money to the school so that they’re kids can go to school – amazing – and sad – makes you want to support US efforts to help – great, great read

“Rafa” by Nadal – he’s a tennis player – pretty successful one (like first to win 10 slams by 24) – he probably talked the book out to a writer in spanish – so the differences in language – much less culture – is pretty interesting – reminded me of the beckham book i read – international stars seem to be more down to earth than american ones – it’s surprising to find that out – anyway, nadal was done with school at like 16, but he’s full of insight and wisdom – not to mention guts (i love running and seeing a five-hour tennis match – that’s a marathon match indeed)

remember, the seventh grade has a wonderful book “we love parades” now available at your friendly online bookstore to purchase and enjoy

sincerely,

mafeld

18 thoughts on “happy patriot’s day week!!!”

1. Hey I am still reading on Eragon and other stuff. I left off as the elven lady zapped the egg to some unknow area. It changes setting and we are now following a boy named Erafgon who is in the spine, which is a groups of mountains formed like a pine, hunting for meat for his family. The spine is a very mysterious place and there are many stories of people entering the mountains, but never returnong. Eragon has been following this group of deer and is planning on killing one deer in particular. He hides in the trees in the outskirts of where they are laying and sleeping. He is about to shoot at hi target when a loud crack and flash of light appears. He is knocked back and all of a sudden the deer quickly spring to life and they run away in the blink of an eye.

2. Testing was easy

S-A poor country girl moves to a new town and stays with the preacher

O-Abeline has to start school on the very last day after moving to a new town

A- Teenage readers who have to live basically like an orphan in small towns

P- The purpose of writing this part of the story is to explain how hard moving to a new place can be

S- Abeliene first person

T- The tone of this part of the story is tense and nervous
    O
    N
    E

3. S-katniss everdeen
    O-thrown against a tree by Finnick
    A-the reader
    P-in order to save peetas life
    S-peeta had been shocked by a force field which made him have heart failure.
    T-shocked- unsure of what to do and unsure if peeta was going to make it.
    o
    n
    e

4. S-katniss everdeen
    O-after making a hut, katniss stood guard while the others slept
    A-the reader
    P-to make sure no suprise attack occured and to make sure Finnick could get some rest.
    S-as she stood guard , she noticed a wierd fog coming towards them.
    T-alert- she had to be cautious because if she did her job wrong, it could cause death to 4 people
    o
    n
    e

5. Today was fantastic. And today Jason Mraz’ new album came out. Jason Mraz is my favorite singer in the whole world. His songs make me happy and they make me wish I was at the beach.

Jason Mraz makes me calm. He doesn’t sing about girls. He sings about MUCH Better stuff (:

Right now I’m reading Inkheart.

I’m actually have trouble getting into it. I heard from multiple people that Inkheart was amazing but it’s taken me a long time to get into it.

It’s finally getting to where it’s grabbing my attention and I’m 160 pages in.

So Meggie is at home one day when a guy named Dustfinger shows up her father, Meggie, and The Dustfinger guy move to Meggie’s Aunt Elinor’s house.

There is someone after Meggie’s dad who wants a book called Inkheart.

Meggie’s dad can read Character’s out of books and Capricorn is the guy after him.

He wants to destory Inkheart so that he can never go back into the storybook

That’s all.

6. Hey I will do authors purpose on my last blog. I believe the author was writing this as a climatic begginning, because even though the reader knows what is showin up in the field, it is keeping the readers interested because already there is an eventful begginning of the book. I like this because it makes me want to dig further in the book, because I can see that every part of the book will mst likely be filled with excitement and so on.n A strong introduction to a book gives the first impression to the reader, and it lets the reader know overall how the remainder of the book will look. So the author definitley had me hooked at this introduction and this is one of the main reasons why this author has been so successful over this series.

7. Alright, good afternoon, I’m super tired today… It is so hot outside its miserable (one reason I hate summer/spring weather)

Anyway, I’m reading Phantom of the Opera… Outside of school, that is.

Mon.- I’m gonna start where Raoul meets up with the Persian. The Persian, who’s name is currently unknown, is very mysterious, and won’t tell Raoul much. Not that I would either, he’s so annoying, the Gale/Jacob type, that tries to save the day… Yuck. Anyway, he meets up with this Persian guy to go find Christine and save her from Erik.
    Tues.- So the Persian tells Raoul to come to Christine’s dressing room where they enter a hallway through the mirror like Raoul had seen Christine once do. They see three men who are sleeping, and this creepy flaming face that chases them.
    Wed.- So the flaming face has been chasing them and ends up it was the rat killer and all these rats came and were clawing at Raoul and the Persian… So, that was really strange, but now they’re trying to figure out how to get to the house on the lake, because according to the Persian, you can’t cross the lake without getting killed by some monster.

Alright, I’m done for this week- really glad it’s only four days long… Last week was endless it seemed.

-Saint K
    -when the moon is blue, the clock strikes noon

8. Sp, testing is over and back to blogs! I am reading The Dust Bowl.
    Monday- Author’s Pupose
    The others purpose was to tell a true event from a family’s perspective.
    The dust bowl was a real historic event that happened long ago. So, they made a book full of how the family endured the dust bowl. Their financial ups and downs as they couldn’t grow crops. the dust bowl effected them harshly and it didn’t help that ma was pregnant. But, they manage to get through it all. even though they had a lot of tragedies and harm they survive!
    Tuesday-Soapstone
    S-3rd person because there is no dialect.
    O-The Dust Bowl is going on and a family is having to find ways to deal with all the dust.
    A-The reader or the book and the members of the family that are in the dust bowl.
    P-To tell about a historical event that happened and caused a major change in things for those who were in it.
    S-A girl and her family try to make it through the dust bowl while providing food and shelter for them and the baby that’s on the way.
    T-Worrying because the family is having a hard time to provide food because the crops wont grow.
    Wednesday-Creative
    So, all my friends are gone for spring break. Now i have to sit here and be bored. Wait! No I don’t, I have a job! Babysitting my baby brother! Ugh, how sweet is my mom? I love her but why does she have to go out on date night when I could be doing better things like… NOTHING! Sometimes I think that she is trying to ruin my life! Not really though, just got to be miserable sometimes! Anyway, my brother needs changing so I better go! I love you mom and guess what? You just made it to my journals!

9. 5 More weeks

Tuesday- Abelinen went to her first day of school and saw all of the other kids. She thought that it was weird for a baptist priest(Shady) to send her to a catholic school. When she got there she saw a girl that was a rich snob, a boy that was in the back(troublemaker), and a few kids that she couldnt decide on. They started asking her questions and she answered them. It turns out that her mom left her when she was little and she told a few stories. When the teacher came in Abeliene could tell that she would be mean. The teacher handed out report cards and Abeliene had to do a summer project. For her project she had to write a story on any topic she wanted to but she didn’t want to. That’s all until tomorrow.

Trent

10. I am reading Graceling and its pretty good, anyone who has a grace has 2 different colored eyes. Katsa has blue and green eyes and her grace is a killing grace. thats right, killing. The king, king randa, makes her do his bidding, makeing her go brake arms, cut off fingers, and even kill people that cross him. po’s grandfather had been kidnapped but they dont know which of the 7 kingdoms it is. po has one silver and one gold eye. his grace is fighting. he and Katsa have fun practicing fighting each other, no one really gets hurt.
    what i think is hilarious is their trip to a mans house with a daughter graced with mind-reading people’s wants. when Katsa is told this she says that if the mans daughter even looks at her, she is going to want to hurt her.
    sure enough, when the daughter catches sight of katsa, she gasps and runs up the stairs………………away from Katsa.

11. Today was another nice day. I’m GLAD we don’t have school Friday. I need a break! 7th Grade is rough.

May 4th The Avengers comes out. I’m more excited about this than I was about The Hunger Games. Why care about Katniss when you can have Thor, Captain America, Ironman, The Hulk, Black Widow, and Hawkeye all in one movie?

I’m still reading Inkheart it’s not my favorite book in the whole world but I’ll keep on truckin’

Capricorn and his men have kidnapped Meggie’s dad in hope that Meggie’s dad will be able to read things out of books for him.

I wish I could read things out of books.

Anyways Meggie doesn’t know where her father is so her Aunt Elinor and Dustfiniger all go out to Capricorn’s village to retrieve Meggie’s dad but instead they get locked up in Capricorn’s Village.

Then Capricorn lit all the copies of Inkheart on fire.

That’s all

-Julie

12. So we have Eragon as the deer he has been following through the Spine to support his family fled the field as a mysterious object appeared and sent them all scrambling. He cuuses at himself and decideds to see what could have been sent and by who?;) He Walks up and sees a very fiinely polished blue stone with white veins coarsing through its smooth, hard surface. He carefully touched it with its foot theb proceeded to pick it up. He was astounded by how smooth and perfect the stone was. He wouldn’t be leaving the Spine empty handed so he tucked it in his pack and went on his way back through the Spine to his home. His home was a few days walking so he had a pretty treachorous journey ahead of him and the Spine was told to be extremely dangerous.

13. so Katsa has gone with oll and giddon, who supposedly loves her, to a man’s house to punish him. he is being punished because king randa asked for him to give one of them to him. he wants the one with the most inner spirit so that they may marry one of randa’s men. he refuses b/c he says they are both strong-spirited and he will not give them up. Katsa though, refuses to hurt him, disobeying randa, her uncle. she says she wont hurt a man for protecting his daughters. she convinces oll and giddon to say they tried to get her to hurt the man only by threatning to kill the king (randa). she threatens the man by saying that if he were to tell randa they agreed willingly that she would kill him AND his daughters. wow, lots of threats today.

14. soapstone
    s-katsa
    o-she must hurt a man in front of his daughters but refuses
    a-7th-9th
    p-she no longer wants to obey king randa and refuses to hurt a man for protecting his daughters

15. Hey, I have been reading Flight #116 is Down. In this story Heidi, Patrick, and tons of others help the victims of a plane craash in Heidi’s backyard. In the town they live in, which is really small, the kids 16-18 work as firefighters and paramedics because many of the adults work too far away to respond to emergencies. I wonder if small towns really do that.
    Patrick is a very confident yet under challanger young medic who is 2nd on the scene with Heidi.
    Heidi is a very rich teenager who’s parents happen to be away during the disaster. Heidi is considered an outcast. For a long time she went to a boarding school and feels extremely iscolated from the kids at the public school. It doesn’t help that her parents are always gone and that she really seems to make no effort to make friends. (If you skip to the end of the book you’ll find that she ends up dating Patrick.) 🙂
    I am very excited about how this book turns out.

16. creative- My boat sank about half a mile out. I swam to the nearest piece of land and it was just an island with a fresh water spring in the middle. I think that I am the only survivor but I’m still hopeful. Right now the only supplies I have are a machete, knife, and rope/netting that i found on the shore. I have made a hammock and I put a lean-to over it to keep me from getting wet when it rains. Something just splashed out in the sea so I climbed a tree to see. It looks like Kate!. She was one of the people on the boat when it sank. She was also my girlfriend. I am so glad to see her. I jumped out of the tree and dove into the sea. Kate saw me and we swam to each other. She looked alright but tired. I helped her swim back to shore and I led her straight to the hammock so she could rest. We were together again. That’s all for this week.

Trent

17. Monday

This week I’m blogging about The Castaways of the Flying Dutchman. It is by Brian Jaques, the author of the Redwall series. Anywho, I know that he wrote this to entertain the reader. I pretty sure anyways. I think he wrote this to entertain, but he used facts about the countries and myths of the Flying Dutchman to an advantage, because he twists it to a new point of view of a never-before-heard-of-character. At the same time though he creates the image a huge ship where the boy is put in the galley.

Tuesday

Wondering what would have happened if Neb would have escaped in Denmark?
    My guess is that he would have found the black lab and went to a bench and hid until the pirates were gone. Then he would have made a home and been one of those beggars who sits on the corner of the block in New York. Or maybe if he didn’t like the dog anymore … sell the poor black lab. I mean that’s what I would have to do if I were him, but I’m not so that is all his discision. That is what I think would have happened to Neb if he escaped the ship in Denmark.

Wednesday

After a lot of thought The Castaways of the Flying Dutchman is like the beginning of Peter and the Starcatchers. They both have characters get on ships. Neb got on because he was running from his stepbrothers and one of them hit him and he fell into the ice cold water, then all of a sudden a stringy rope hits his head and he uses all his strength to climb onboard. In the other book orphans get onboard because the are forced to be slaves to an evil king overseas. Well, I mean, they have \the same ideas just different plots.