why are no londoners out watching the marathon???

i’m done reading – it’s time to be brain dead and watch people run… 🙂

i read four books this week – i’ll be brief on two and take more time with what i enjoyed

“the writer’s journey” – motifs in movies – and how this “genius” movie guy figured them out

“the book” – baseball stats that prove traditional theory wrong – like, never bunt (or not usually) – and bat your pitcher eighth

“imperfect” by jim abbott – this book was awesome – very recommendable for a middle school kid – gifted – disabled – guy – girl – sports or no – just great (we’re journalling next week about it) – anyway, abbott writes about the issues we all face in life – who are we – what will we be known for – and he’s pretty good at helping us along that trail – again, great book

“the big miss: my years coaching tiger woods” by hank haney – i liked this book b/c it talked about how you coach a gifted athlete – a driven athlete – good insight into tiger’s world – haney obviously wrote it to protect his rep (you can tell criticism gets under his skin) but the whole issue of trying to figure out tiger made the book an easy read for me

reading cs lewis’s sci-fi series right now while i wait for something new – hope your journals and reading is fun this week

15 thoughts on “why are no londoners out watching the marathon???”

1. Monday-Soapstone-4/23/12-Mockingjay
    Speaker-Katniss Everdeen (1st person)
    Occasion- The rebellion aginst president snow.
    Audience-4th-9th graders
    Pourpose- To entertain
    Subject- Katniss is in battle trying to find president snow to kill him!
    Tone- The to is set where you feel like you’re there so it is scary because you dont know if you are going to get shot at or not.
    O
    N
    E

2. i am now reading mokcingjay!!! only 20 pages in and i am still excited.
    S-katniss everdeen
    O-katniss returned to District 12…
    A-the reader
    P-she went back to get a few things from her house in the victors village
    S-she grabbed Buttercup, her moms wedding picture and her dads leather jacket and stuffed all of it in her game bag so when she got on the hovercraft, they wouldn’t take them from her .
    T-scared- she would have to move underground in district 13 because the capital had bombed her district with 5 bombs.
    o
    n
    e

3. Sup. Im readin Eragon and i left off as he was traveleing back through the spine to his home. He arrives hoe late at the town of Carvahall which is in the valley and one of the biggest towns at all in that region. He walks down into the town where he walks to the butchers. He plans to bargain with him for the stone for the meat his family needs. Sloan, the butcher, was working and Eragon walked t the front. He showed Sloan the stone and was supposedly going to give three crowns (not that much) for it so he could by meat. Then he asked where he had found the stone. Eragon told him the Spine and immediatley he began to scream at Eragon to get out of his shop. They began to argue with eachother when the blacksmith decides to jump in to the argument too.

4. i am reading mockingjay.
    after katniss arrived at district 13, her and gale were caled to see coin. the were watching ceasar flickerman’s show and he was interviewing peeta and you knew he was upset, but he has a good way of not showing it. he slowly and sadly talks and answers ceasars questions. but when ceasar mentions katniss he looses it. i guess he was holding in all of his thought and this was the right time to explode and let it all out. say whatever is on his mind.

5. Alright, just gonna blog one or two nights tonight cause I’m tired and watching DWTS…. 🙂

Alright, still reading POTO… Liking the ending the most…

Mon.- So, I’ll start at the part where Raoul and the Persian get stuck in the torture chamber. At first, they think they’ve made it into his house, but in fact, they’re trapped. I’m a little confused about the iron tree and how it reflects onto all the mirrors that line the room and make it look like a jungle… But, hey, its the phantom, he does a good job wi illusions.
    Tues.- So Raoul and the Persian are about to commit suicide when they find a trapdoor in the floor and open it, they go inside and hope to find water or wine (the inside of the torture chamber is very hot) but only find gunpowder… Which means if she decides to not be his wife, he’ll blow up the opera house and everyone in it.
    Wed.- Just gonna keep on going… So, Raoul and the Persian are still trying to find a way out and she decides to turn the scorpion (which means shes going to marry him, opposed to the grasshopper, which would blow everything up) which floods the gunpowder chamber, but also the torture chamber, and they think they’re going to drown.
    Thurs.- They wake up in the room that the phantom had been keeping Christine, who was now his wife. Then, the Persian is delivered to his home by the phantom and the phantom later visits him to tell him he is dying… So, I’m about to read about why he’s dying… Etcetera

Alright, that’s all for this week.. 🙂 won’t be in class on thursday b/c of math team

-Saint K
    -when the moon is blue, the clock strikes noon

6. Tuesday-Sent-Point of View

Okay so i am ghoing to take the point of view of Chip. Oh my gosh i am in this castle and the soon-to-be king of England and France! I have my little brother Alex at my side and he is a prince in fact he is Prince Richard and i am King Edward V so it is a little creepy. I have Johnah’s little sister Cathrine beside me and she has time sickness. Which that is really hard to explain. But i just got sent here through time travel and i am still a little freaked out! 🙂

Wed.-Sent-Author’s Pourpose

I think the author’s pourpose is to entertain. I mean she has Johnah, Cathrine, Chip, and Alex all in the 15th century which is a little creepy. But Chip is the kaing of England and France and his little brother Alex is actualy Prince Richard. It is crazy. The author is using history to make this stor better and it kinda cool. I like the fact that the charters who are adopted (Chip, Alex and Johnah) have other identies.

7. I am reading mockingjay and I am liking it so far. Right now katniss and gale are off in the woods huntIng and they caught multiple things… They caught rabbit, squirrel, and I think they caught some possum or something in that area. But they could only have 2 hours out of the day and if they don’t get back inside the gates of district 13 by a certain hour they will be locked out and their privileges of hunting will be taken away from them. Their one taste of freedom and actually getting back @ their normal ways.

8. Well, another week!
    Monday- Creative
    So, I took my own time to write in this journal again. I am getting used to this writing every day thing. I have only missed three or four day out of seven. It was for good reasons, like living! Anyway, I am having a good time with testing being gone and umm, what to talk about. Well, it is my journal and no one will read it so, free to write whatever! Ok, I hate how people believe gossip and…. *Phone Ringg, Text from her BFF*
    Carry; Hey Jason (her boyfriend) likes Amy!!
    OMG!! I am soo gonna dump him. Wait!! I just fell for drama… UGH! Life, is hard for blondes!
    Tuesday-Author’s Purpose
    I am reading the book stargirl. It is about a girl who isn;t like everyone else. She moves to a new school to start fresh. Well, one guys starts to like her and then she is forced to move away, right when she begins to fit in. There is a second stargirl I need to check out and read. Stargirl comes to school wearing white with a ukulele, and playing it beautifully. Everyone thinks she is weird because of her appearance. Until they all finally give her a chance to show here true self.
    Wednesday- POV Stargirl
    Everyone thinks I am just another weirdo. No one has looked passed what I wear. They all get so caught up on the appearance, except for one boy. I think I may like him but no clue if he would be interested. Well, probably not with a girl like me. No one has seen my true beauty, how I really am. I would like to change that, starting with that boy. I see him all the time in homeroom and lunch. Also, I pass him a lot in the hallway and sometimes I go by his locker. So, I think I will actually talk to him, make contact, tomorrow at school
    Thursday-Soapstone
    S-3rd person because there is a lot of dialogue in the story between characters.
    O- A new kid moves in town and is starting her first day at school, but she isn’t really normal acting.
    A-The other kids attending school and the reader of this book.
    P- To tell a story about fitting in. How most people judge others by how they dress, talk, or even walk.
    S- Stargirl moves to her brand new school and it turns out she is the odd one out, she doesn’t have to try to be different.
    T- Gleaming at the begging as stargirl begins to make more and more friends but blue towards the end because of her having to move away. Very far away from her friends.
    O
    N
    E

9. hey. I just remembered that the math competition is tommorrow. Im not ready. But anyways i am on Eragon as he was in a heated argyument with Sloan over the rock he was prepared to pay Eragon for…………… So Eragon doesn’t understand why Sloan is acting this way, because as soon as he told sloan that it came from the Spine, he immediatley put away his money and refuised to pay for it. For some reason he doesnt go into alot of detail on why he has so much hatred towards the stone or the spine. The blacksmiyth later says how Sloans wife supposedly had a troubled past that had to do with the Spine and this is to believe why he refused to pay him for the stone. As the argument gets out of hand the blacksmith walks in with Sloans daughter righ behind him.

10. mockingjay…….
    S-katniss everdeen
    O-katniss and gale are allowed to hunt and katniss got several advantages to somewhat getting back to normal
    A-the reader
    P-she went to president coin and told them that she would not be their mockingjay unless they allowed those few certian arrangments
    S-since peeta hasn’t been around recently, katniss and gale’s relationship(of whatever they have going on between them) have grown stronger.
    T-glad- katniss’s arrangments have gotten her closer to a normal life and she has also become the mockingjay.
    o
    n
    e

11. I haven’t blogged at all this week. I’m terrible! I’m going to the play tonight so I’ll only blog for 15 minutes.

I’ve been reading the book, Abarat. Jake told me about it and he said it was really good.

I didn’t think it sounded very interesting when I was looking at the back of the book but I was so wrong.

It’s got to be one of the best books I’ve read EVER. I love it so much!

It’s about a girl named Candy who lives In a town called Chickentown. She hates it and it’s really small. One day she decides to run away from her drunk dad. She runs as far away from Chickentown as she can.

It’s all grass for miles and she walks all the way to where she can’t see chickentown anymore. She looks down and realizes that she’s walking on shells. But that didn’t make any sense because there wasn’t not an ocean anywhere.

The shells were all over the ground. Then she looked up and saw a lighthouse. She began walking towards it when she saw a figure moving through the tall grass she bent down so that she was hidden behind the tall grass she stayed there for a few minutes then she stood up again the creature stood up at the same time and they both started screaming.

The guys name was Mischeif and he had 9 heads with horns. He was odd. He told her that she needed to go into the lighthouse and find a way to turn the light on she ran and did.

But meanwhile Mischeif was bring attacked by a guy named Mendelson Shape who has to keep people out of the abarat and he doesn’t want Candy coming into it.

Okay that’s all

-Julie

12. Hey i am goin to do a couple blogs. I would also like to praise the math team. We came in second in Algebra, second in Pre-Algebra, and 1st in seventh grade with 2 individual awards in seventh and Pre-algebra. We did great and lunch was the best part(five guys burgers and fries).
    Any ways im on Eragon and i left off as Sloan drew the attentions of the black smth and sloans daughter as Eragons argument over the rock started to get out of hand. He walks in then Eragon explainds what the problem was. He decides to just leave it alone, when of course the daughter steps in and makes it worse. Sloan tell her to go home and she quickly scampers off. Sloan offers to buy the meat for his family and he gladly appreciates it but he knows there will be a price to pay.
    Thursday- So he buys the meat for Eragon and Sloan gladly accpets the money, so Eragon gets a months worth of meat for free and even gets to keep the stone, but in payment he must work as an apprentice for the blacksmith to pay it off. The blacksmiths son is leaving to become a master blacksmith so Eragon will need to fill in his place. He thanks him for the meat but remembers that his cousin that lives with them wants to send a message to Karina, sloans daughter, about how they will meet soon. Thay aare true lovers hahah:) So the blacksmith agrees to tell Katrina that, and they part ways to eachothers homes.

13. while i was out i had alot of time to read.

mon- i started out with catching fire. it was one of the best books ive read. it started with katniss going on her victory tour. she went around to all of the districts but there was some conflict on the way.

tues- during the victory tour peeta proposes and when they get home katniss tries on wedding dresses. they video tape it and put it on tv. once the show is over snow comes on and anounces the quarter quell.

weds- once she finds out what it means she runs. out the door and into the kitchen of her old house. she cries and then she runs out. once shes in the yard she runs to haymitches house.

thurs- after haymitch and katniss agree to keep peeta alive this time peeta comes down with a pile full of liqore bottles. he throws them away and says that they are going to start getting in shape.

14. OK so last blog of the week!
    Thursday- creative- gone
    I am crazy. I live in a world full of mistakes. I can’t speak. I can’t use my body in any way and i let people treat me like I’m scum. It is not on purpose though if i had a voice then i would use it. I am mostly like a stiff piece of something nobody ever thought about using to make something. I really am not the kind of person to pitty myself theese are just things i thought you should know. If i had a voice i would use it and if i had a voice you would NEVER hear me stop using it. Yes i am your age and my name is………….Luci.

15. yeah, we got a trophy, but the important thing is that we beat chelsea 🙂 so the song of today is all i do is win

picked up the firm by Grisham. awesome so far. starts with Mitch McDeere being interviewed, fresh from Harvard (top five out of 300) and wanting a place at a law firm in Memphis. The firm (Bendini, Lambert, and Locke) only recruited the top grads, and paid them extremely well. McDeere refused to cheat on exams, left a party when the drugs came out, and only drank the occasional beer. Even as a orphan, this guy was great. He wanted to do tax work, and the firm was 80% tax, with a few security and real estate jobs on the side. As a fresh college student, he needed to know the salary.
    Right now, he was offered $68000-$76000 a year. First year here was $80k, plus bonuses. Next was $85K, plus bonuses. Two country club memberships, a house, and a new BMW. Mitch smiled.

As Abby McDeere (Mitch’s wife, BTW) parked the clunking Madza and walked inside the two room apartment. Mitch started talking figures. Abby almost passes out. They start packing for the visit to Memphis from the firm.

Mitch walks through the huge building on the Mississippi river, complete with security, weight room, sauna, several offices, a dining room, and more, all while discussing with Lamar Quin the paid vacations in the Caymans and the Caribbean. Abby met with Kay Quin and ate at a cafe nearby. She learns of the long work hours, the way the firm likes to keep close tabs on the families (especially encouraging children), ect. Mitch eats at the huge dining room, where Jessie Frances cooked only foods she could pronounce, now bordering on 26 years. Abby looks through the great houses nearby. Mitch discovers the two-to-one retirement plan (put in 1 dolloar, get 2 from the company, for a total of 3). Lambert, one of the firm’s namesakes, walks through the security office and learns that Mitch is almost guaranteed to sign on.

A few weeks later, the Madza is sold and pays for a U-Haul. As Abby holds Hearsay, the mutt, Mitch navigates Boston and speeds south. The decorator helps pick out items for the house, then the McDeeres drive the new BMW to the Quin’s. As it turns out, two of Lamar’s close friends were killed that day. Mitch sits with him for a while, then he leaves. Thats all for tonight!