“and my mom is waaaay older than my dad – she’s like 39 and he’s 37…”

ah, another week teaching first grade… 🙂

“the simpsons and their mathematical secrets” by singh – great book for my middle school mathematically talented – really, for all my gifted kids – because part of the book, beyond the math complexity (which was great to learn – or be reminded) was that most of those early writers were actually great math guys – so the whole idea that you’re gifted at only one thing goes out the window with this book – great reminder – and great book for my students

“the champion’s mind” – great for my students in middle school – book about the mental aspect of athletics – and how the choices we make in our minds often determine the results on the field – accessible for my gifted kids – again, great read and I will pass along some of the tidbits to my kids – along with the book recommendation

“the girls of atomic city” – got this one from the public library – fascinating read about the nuclear, secret facility that the government built in 1943 to enrich the uranium used in the atomic bombs – the author did much of the research first hand – through interviewing the women that remain – and that was a gift from her to us – because those stories are dying out – and so while most of the country looks back at atomic warfare with negative feelings, the book describes a lot better just what went on in the 1940s – and so it’s a great reminder that one shouldn’t judge other time periods very harshly

i’m back to reading “trash” now – my own running books I have – so i’m happy and all is right with the world

77 thoughts on ““and my mom is waaaay older than my dad – she’s like 39 and he’s 37…””

1. Ok I am reading Percy Jackson & the Olympians The Battle of the Labyrinth by: Rick Riordon. In this book of the Percy Jackson series Percy goes to a school orientation where the school is called Goode and when Percy gets there he finds two emposai(a greek mythical creature that is a ghost, bronze machine, and goat combined that sucks blood and eats you) and fights them, after killing the young emposai they other one tells him that camp half-blood will be destroyed, set on fire and then she ran to the door, opened it, before he could kill her she burst into flames, escaped, then Percy jumped out of the window, then Annabeth found Percy, after that Percy ran out of they alley way, caught a taxi to camp half-blood, went to the swords arena after getting to camp, found a hellhound pet owned by Quintus(later to be found put as Dedealus in his 4 body), then later went into the forest to find 6 scorpions to kill when they found a entrance to the Labyrinth(a greek maze underground) and set of for adventure…..
    that is all I have read so far and i think it is awesome here is a poem I thought of:

Percy fights
    no matter what
    Percy loves kites

Percy kills
    all bad guys
    Percy mills

Don’t kill Percy
    or the gods
    won’t have mercy…

and that is all I can think of and i want to thank Mr.Mayfield for making this possible

2. Well we all know that Maf has a good old lady voice now. Oh yes sooooo much older than your dad. You just better be glad you didn’t have my sister. She would be all “OHHHH SO YOUR MY SISTER’S TEACHER?” But now she’s in second grade. And one more question for you maf do you really think God is pink or was that just a thing?

Monday- Creative- 9/9/13- The Hunger Games (for the fifth time yes)
    Nichole

“Ah it’s good to be home!” Jack says as we pull in the driveway. What a weirdo.

“Yes very good to be home.” I say. Jack and Mrs. Becca laugh. This is my second home sooo.

We get out of the car and walk inside. When we get inside Jack’s dad is sitting on the couch watching tv. “Mr. Mike!”

“Hey Nichole!”

“Hey go get ready I’m ready to go swimming.” Jack says. I nod run upstairs and put my bathing suit on. Mrs. Becca hands Jack two towels and we walk out side. I run to the diving board and dive in. ”

“WOOOO HOOO!” Jack cheers. Weirdo.

I swim to the shallow end and bow. We end up swimming for the next three hours. Me and Jack had a diving competition which I lost. Oh well there’s always tomorrow. We go inside where Mrs. Becca has made dinner.

“It looks so good.” I say.

“Thanks Nichole you guys go ahead and eat.”

“Thanks mom.” Jack says

“So homecoming?” Jack asks me.

“Yeah what about it?”

“Are you excited?”

“Sure.”

“You don’t sound excited.”

“Jack, I don’t know why you don’t think I’m not excited. It’s just a dance okay?”

“But I’m your date.”

“Don’t call it that. It makes me feel icky calling you my date.”

Tuesday- SOAPSTONE- 9/10/13- The Hunger Games
    Speaker- Katniss 1st person
    Occasion- The author wrote this for children.
    Audience- Children/ Teens
    Purpose- The purpose is to entertain.
    Subject- Katniss is going out into the woods to hunt with Gale.
    Tone- Serious

Wednesday-SCAMPER- 9/11/13- The Hunger Games
    And a lot of people do, out of relief that their children have been spared for another year.

Substitute- And a lot of people do, out of relief that their children haven’t been picked out of that huge glass bowl full of names.

Combine- And a lot of people do, out of relief that their children have been spared for another year, that their children don’t have to go fight to the death for the entertainment of the Capitol.

Adapt- A lot of people party because their kids are still with them.

Modify- And a lot of people do, out of relief that their kids have been spared for another year.

Put to other uses- The people of the Capitol are just happy to have the ones picked.

Eliminate- A lot of people do, out of relief that their children have been spared.

Reverse- Out of relief that their children have been spared, a lot of people do.

Thursday- Author’s Purpose- 9/12/13- The Hunger Games
    The author’s purpose of this book is to entertain. Seeing as it is my fifth
    to read the book I am paying attention to the small details this time. So I am going along and reading it while paying attention to the very small details. The ones that form the story and make it even more awesome. While you see Katniss walking through the woods I now see her walking ever so lightly so she doesn’t break a twig.

3. and Steve Jobs is a actor. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! Take that Ms.Queen of Waffles

4. clary arrived in irdas to find jace and the cure for her mother.she got there by creating a portal like a warlock, her and luke fell in to the lake of the angel which is harmless to downwolders but poisonous to shadow-hunters. clary drunk some of the water when they fell in from the sky.luke carried her to his sister to save clary before she died,while walking they went right past the gard .after a couple of days she woken up to find luke was gone.

5. I have discovered something! Football. Is. BORING! Definatly Middle school football’s Halftime “show”. This is Stupid, the only thing keeping me alive is my book Ted Dekker’s “Lunatic” Crazed Jemison cheerleaders.

6. Sup!!!! So great day today! Here is the finishing of my blogs

“Gravity”
    You start to float.
    No sound.
    No weight.
    Just darkness.
    Just nothing.
    No one.
    Just you.
    You look around.
    You see a star.
    One lonely light. It gets brighter.
    Bright enough for you to look away.
    Two more stars begin to shine.
    One triggers another.
    The sky becomes light.
    Blinding light.
    One made a difference.
    One lonely star.
    Made you see what you are what,
    You are supposed to be.
    You open your eyes to the sun.
    The biggest star in the sky.
    You gravitate to it.
    You are part of Him.

7. Title: Ender’s Game
    Author: Drson Scott Card
    Side notes: Ender’s Game is a good book. My brother and my father have read the book and said “It’s really good. You better read the HOLE book.” I have a habit that if I don’t like the book I put it down and read another book. Rachael do the fantasy-swordfight-bloody&epic thing cause the Civil War will make your head explode! And I want to see you in one piece tom.

On to business: In the book called Ender’s Game this boy named Ender has a monitor in his neck. Then it is removed. When it is removed at the end of the school day this kid tries to hurt Ender but Ender hurts him really bad so he will stop. Well when he gets home his sister, Valentine, See’s the bandage on his neck and says ” he is on of use now.” Well his brother Peter says ” He is not one of use.” His sister had her monitor removed when she was 4 his brother 5, and Ender has had his removed by 6. Well after the discussion they play and like always his brother is the astronaut and Ender is the bugger. Well later a guy from the I.F. (international fleet) comes to the house the next day.

Side notes: Well that as for as I got to in Ender’s Game and This is my 2,2! bob Book on chapter 3. I may update some more later.
    😛 🙂 😀 D: 🙁

8. Hey DUDES can’t talk for long. I got to make this blog short 🙂 yes I know I know you all are devastated but today is my Big BROS B-Day so I got to make something special :). I am going to do a poem it is about FRIDAY THE THIRTENTH DUN DUN DUN !!!!

Friday 13th

People jumpy and uneasy
    Every ones hearing is heightened
    Every one is eyeing for slight little signs
    Staying away from black cats
    You step in a door or a room with your right foot for good luck
    Stay up all night watching scary movies
    Then asking one of your friends to walk you to the bath room because you are so scared.
    Have all the lights on in the house
    Phones all beside you
    Doors bolted, locked, and security systems on
    Check the house before you go to bed if you even do and ” ALWAYS LOOK
    UP!!!”
    Always have an exit when you go into some where
    You started watching scary movies a week before
    You have been basically preparing for this day and tomorrow is IT!!

SHOUT OUT 2 MY ” FAVORITE BUDDIE” Mr. Mayfield !!! 🙂

9. ahhhh so im re-reading taken and im half way through it. any ways

Taken Edward Bloor

So im at the part now were charity and her dad are at her step moms meeting but they are disguised so that she will not recognize them and ALSO IM GOING 1 JOURNAL PER CHAPTER anyways after that meeting there is also a festival going on on the same street that the meeting about finding charity is on and a drunk came up behind the step-mom who’s name escapes me at this moment gets shot in the neck by a water gun and then she tells the guards what if that was a real gun i could have been dead. And then the guards tazed the drunk.

10. Well i finished chasing lincolns killer today but i cant blog about the whole book because the blog would be way too long so ill make this a quick story.booth stays in the thickett and after a few days thomas jones comes to help them and tells them they must go now because it is the perfect condition. they go but they get turned around because theyre in the dark. they finally get there and hide out and begin their run again by hiding in a few houses. they get a carriage and ride into a town. they stay in the guys tobacco barn but the guy knows something different about them and he thinks they will steal his horse so he locks them int there. then the union comes and finds them. harold gives up but booth wants to go outn in other ways. the union lights the barn on fire, booth grabs his guns and a crutch because he figures being shot is better than being hanged. one of the men spots him and shoots him in the neck booth drops and a little bit later died.

THE END!

11. good night. christopher has left the blog!!!!!!!!! haha get it like elvis has left the building. it is very clever wuhahahaha!

12. so now after that guard tazed that drunk the guards all make a circle around Micky thats her name the step mom or EX-wife her name is micky. =] anyways then charity go’s up to victoria (her old maid) and tells her that she is okay and that not to tell Micky about this little talk they had b/c she is going to go and live with her dad for 2-3 years and then re-merge if you will not tell her step mom is summed up of what the two talked about.

13. so i gave up on the broker b/c it got real boring and awkward so thats why im re-reading Taken By: Edward Bloor…

So after the chapter of almost nothing but victoria and charity talking (witch was VERY boring b/c the talked nothing about were when or how she was taken or anything of that matter) anyways now charity is trying to figure out were her dad went to but in the middle of her trying to find her dad Dessi or Dezi how ever in the world you spell it, go’s up on the stage and he was one of the kidnappers that took her and then gives a speech on how he was planing to let her go or help he not get kidnapped in the first place but all that charity could think about was finding her dad witch she did he was standing or leaning up against the building that all the highlands people were standing beside.

14. The next morning Steven woke up early and wanted to surprise his little brother with oatmeal that he never got the morning Jeffery broke his nose. when Steven was making oatmeal Jeffery came up behind him. Steven gasped and asked how he was felling about his face he said it felt it was hot and thick. That is when Jeffery said he was going to look in the mirror and said he looked like a raccoon he had 2 black eyes and a puffy nose. After Steven made him feel better he ate the oatmeal. Then that day Jeffery went to a doctor. They were going to run special test and Steven had to stay and go to school.
    That is all for today read next week

15. Book: Prisoner B-3087
    Author:Alan Gratz
    The first of the BOBs for me, and I agree with Mr. Mayfield. It is definetly a sad book. It really reminded me a lot of “A Long Walk to Water” because of the age protagonist and the work camps. To summarize, all of the jews are shut up in the ghetto, where Yanek lives. Lots of people move into their house. Nazi soldiers invade Yanek’s house and take everything valuable, causing Yanek, his mother, and his father to move into a lityle shack on the roof of their aprtment building. Yanek has to celebrate his Bar Mitzvah (13th birthday) in silence hidden in a beasement. Yanek’s parents are taken to war camps and killed, and soon Yanek finds himself headed to a wok camp. He goes to several work camps and eventually is forced to get a tattoo of his identity, “Prisoner B-3087.” (there are no rules of gun safty in this book. [misspell intended.]) The last camp he comes to, he is only ay for a short time befor the Nazis flee from the american troops. Yanek is taken to an American campand reunited with one of his neighbors and his cousin, and they all go to America. That,s the book in a very hollow nutshell.
    Rachael is out!

p.s. I chose this one first because I didn’t know what it was about. BOB Rules! Happy post-hump day! & TRUMPETS UNITE!!!
    p.p.s. Always read prefaces and afterwords andhistorical notes.

16. Okay so i have to video but was the name of the song we did for our music video ?

17. Olivia and I were so bored that we just recited the first 8 english jingles. Why are our sleepovers so boring? I finished “Drums, Girls,and Dangerous Pie” this afternoon. That’s all I have to say. I must go read “Cinder.” -Rachael R.

Hi, Mr.Mayfield! -Olivia C.

18. hi Olivia – whatever Rachael:)

Sidney, what I am I supposed to tell you about the book??? like, which book??? if it’s the “hair” BOB, I have nothing good to say:)

19. HEYO peeps

So quick blog here we gooooo…

“Hello”
    A gesture.
    Spoken in a thousand languages.
    One word with a million reasons
    From
    Happy to
    Sad to
    Angry to
    Loving.
    One word can mean the world to us and everyone.
    So speak kindly and
    Treat there’s the way u want to be treated