Everything You Wanted to Know About Indians But Were Too Afraid To Ask by Anton Treuer

I have never been so thankful for a book in my parenting life as I was for this one. The festivities around Thanksgiving have always been a difficult one for me as a parent. I want my daughter to enjoy fun events at school but I also want her to know that the story we hear about Natives and Pilgrims is not really the true story. This year was the first time she asked me, “Well, if that’s not the true story…what is?” This book gave me the opportunity to share with her the factual information surrounding Thanksgiving from the Native perspective and I am so glad that we were able to work through the hard questions together!

What have you always wanted to know about Indians? Do you think you should already know the answers—or suspect that your questions may be offensive? In matter-of-fact responses to over 120 questions, both thoughtful and outrageous, modern and historical, Ojibwe scholar and cultural preservationist Anton Treuer gives a frank, funny, and sometimes personal tour of what’s up with Indians, anyway.

—What is the real story of Thanksgiving?

—Why are tribal languages important?

—What do you think of that incident where people died in a sweat lodge?

White/Indian relations are often characterized by guilt and anger. Everything You Wanted to Know about Indians but Were Afraid to Ask cuts through the emotion and builds a foundation for true understanding and positive action.

Borealis Books, Amazon
Published inEverybody

Be First to Comment