february comes in like freezing cold, and probably ends that way too…

Dear readers,
Howdy!!! I’m sitting around doing not much in eighth period – b/c it’s no fun to teach those kids:) thought I’d jot a line or two about my reading adventures from last week…

“Shooting Stars” – awesome book by LeBron James (he’s a basketball player) and Buzz something – who wrote Friday Night Lights – about LeBron’s high school basketball career – interesting so far as the things that went on and LeBron’s take – like for example, he was suspended at one point for receiving clothing – and got out of it b/c the gift was supposedly b/c he was a good student – hey, i was a good student and didn’t get $800 worth of clothing in high school… anyway, the book was enjoyable – highly recommendable if you can read books with cursing in it…

“Running in Literature” – a book about, surprise, running and stories/poems written on the subject – as always with anthologies, some of the pieces were better than others – enjoyed most the fact that three of the pieces mentioned in detail the boston marathon

“goal” – book i keep in the classroom – soccer player who overcomes adversity to do great things – i have the dvd that the book is adapted to – so now i rewatch the movie since i’ve reread the book – which i had to do before i would allow myself to watch the dvd – the book read quickly – surprised at how much came back to me about it

read my magazines – the economist, newsweek, sports illustrated – not much stands out in my memory – with the Bible, i got through Job and Exodus – i found a verse about running Job – which was cool

suppose that’s the news for now – happy reading

55 thoughts on “february comes in like freezing cold, and probably ends that way too…”

1. Hey I haven’t blogged in a while and I decided it was time to come back

I’m Reading Milkweed, by Jerry Spinelli.

Oh it’s a wonderful story so far. This boy steals food to keep living.
    He was found by a group of other boys who steel, and they decided that he was a gypsy. The poor boy doesn’t remember his family, his name, what age he is, he just now took his first ever bath and it was because the boys made him. The first thing he remembers doing is stealing bread. The poor boy and now these mean kids are calling him stupid for not knowing anything. There’s a lot of confusion about his religion, and that’s all people seem to care about.

2. I read some of The Hand of the devil.
    I know some title right?

It was about a boy who works for a newspaper and searches for storys about strange irregular creatures. He’s going to check out a story about some Mosquito that people have never seen before. He got up to the town and nobody seemed to like the sound of him crossing the lake, I wonder what’s really going on over there.

Olive-A GTG

3. I’m reading Milkweed.

In Milkweed A bunch of soldiers have come over there to their town and are being nice to the boy. Secretly every one except the boy knows they’re being sarcastic. They’ve been doing all this tormenting and mean stuff to the Jews. They’ve been making them clean the sidewalk with their beards, and have painted them with stars. All this took place during the time of the Holocaust. Mean while the boy doesn’t realize what’s happening and decides he wants to be one of the Nazi. Then the guy who’s acting as his father slapped him and set his mind strait.

Olive-A

4. I’m reading The Twelfth Night by Shakespeare

and oddly I understand the context. It’s just modern language spiced up a bit. Nothing difficult to me about that in fact I’m enjoying it.

The fair lady Olivia [figures] has fallen in love with a women named Viola thats dressed like a man. The Duke is in love with Olivia and Viola is in love with the Duke making a love triangle. Also in the play they’re recovering from a ship wreck it’s all very interesting and after the project I may even keep reading Shakespearian work.