Why is my child so forgetful?!

As part of our class goal to listen, remember, and follow directions this month, I have been reading up on some interesting articles about a common childhood issue: forgetfulness. From being a forgetful child myself, getting my last spanking in 3rd grade for being warned multiple times and forgetting my spelling book, to being a somewhat type A “to-do list” person, I can understand different points of view. I read several different types of articles, and don’t necessarily agree with all of these points, but this one helped the most. If you get a chance, it may be an interesting read from a parent’s point of view. By the way, I want you to know that you are wonderful parents who care about your children, so please don’t be hard on yourself if you read this! That is not my intention! It seems so hard to parent, and I just wanted to share this as a resource! “It takes a village…” In our classroom, I’ve decided to reward kids for listening, remembering and following directions with kindness critters, highlights, free choice time, etc. https://www.ronitbaras.com/family-matters/parenting-family/how-to-cure-a-forgetful-kid/
I also wanted to do a plug for extra practice. If you’re interested in having your child do extra practice, I’ve used the “Spectrum” curriculum in the past with tutoring. If you’d like your child to get a little bit of extra practice in an area, they are aligned with the standards, but are a more streamlined “old school” way of teaching. I’d be happy to send home a few pages for extra practice, and they can also be found at Books-A-Million. There is a picture of the books below.

Finally, please read below part of a message from our Superintendent, Randy Fuller. I’m thankful for the opportunity to teach your child. Thank you for entrusting them to us here at Forest Oaks!

Also, congratulations to all in our system on being recognized for achieving a grade of “A” in the recent media reports.  It has taken the collaborative effort of everyone in our system to reach this level.  I am very proud of all of you.  We were the only county school system, the largest school system and one of only 16 systems out of 138 statewide who achieved this level.
Thanks for what you do for our children!
Randy Fuller
Published inUncategorized

2 Comments

1. First off I want to say awesome blog! I had a quick
    question which I’d like to ask if you do not mind.
    I was curious to know how you center yourself and clear your head prior
    to writing. I have had a difficult time clearing my thoughts in getting my thoughts
    out there. I do enjoy writing but it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are lost
    simply just trying to figure out how to begin. Any suggestions or tips?
    Kudos!

• Abigail Brock Abigail Brock

Hi!

Thank you for your comment. I’m sorry I didn’t see it and respond sooner. It means a lot that you would take the time to be willing to discuss this topic!
      Well, I only write a blog post when I feel like there’s an issue that the Lord brings to my mind that other parents may be wondering or considering. I think it comes down to the purpose of WHY I write, and WHY I do things. I don’t do things with the goal of becoming a popular blogger, a social media influencer, or a YouTube star with thousands of followers. In fact, the opposite is my goal, because I recognize my own weaknesses and I do more of the things that come naturally easy to me. I have trouble verbalizing my thoughts in conversations, and I don’t want to force my thoughts and opinions on anyone that does not have a receptive heart to listen. That would just annoy people and waste everyone’s time. So I do better if I’ve written my thoughts down and processed them. Only then can I feel confident verbalizing them. So I have to know myself, my baggage, my motives, my strengths, my experience, and when I have a topic that I feel like would be meaningful to others for me to write about, then I’ll type out my thoughts! Also, I think by reading a LOT, just exposing yourself to all kinds of literature, history, religion, fiction, classics, contemporary nonfiction, self-help, children’s books, etc. will give you a more clear voice and you’ll start writing in the style that you like to read in. The words and vocabulary will just come to you the more you read. I probably read twice as much as I write. I hope that helps. All the best! What’s your blog site by the way?