Here are the questions:
1. What are one or two questions you would ask Montrestor?
2. How does Montresor get Fortunato to come with him to his vaults? What is Montresor’s motive for leading Fortunato there?
3. What kind of relationship does Montresor have with the people who take care of his home? What does this reveal about him?
4. Describe the conversation between Montresor and Fortunato as they walk in the catacombs. What is ironic about Montresor’s concern for Fortunato’s health?
5. Explain what happens to Fortunato at the end of the story. In what ways is this a “perfect” crime?
6. What details does Poe include to show Montresor as a cold blooded killer? Do you think his portrayal is effective? Why or why not?
7. Why might Poe have chosen to write this story from the first person point of view, describing only Montresor’s thoughts and not Fortunato’s?
8. What is the moment of greatest horror in the story? How well does Poe build up to this moment?
9. Is “The Cask of Amontillado” an effective horror story? Explain.